L666JER

Ford Fanatic

• FOC Supporters
  • 411 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Mk3.5 Fiesta 1.1 LX
  • Year: 1995

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

Well I've been on here for a few months now so I thought I'd start this to keep track of the things I've done.

This is everything I've done so far, that I can remember.

Here's the car when I bought it in July 2012

S5000170

First thing I did with it was paint the front and rear valance below the bumper. As standard they came in grey/black stone chip resistant paint. But I've always liked the look of the ghia which is colour coded, so I thought I'd give it a go. Turned out pretty good, very pleased with it, but the photos don't do it justice.
DSC 0057

DSC 0145

In November I installed some under bonnet soundproofing as with mine only being an LX there wasn't any. Managed to pick up some self adhesive stuff from the show at the NEC, £15 for 1x1m.
DSC 0147

Much quieter now, if anyone has had one of the HCS engines before they will know they can be quite noisy. Also have the added bonus of the car getting up to temperature quicker now we're coming into winter :) I was unsure about how the silver would look at first, but I think it looks pretty good now.

Most important modification, obviously, is the FOC sticker
I'll get a picture later - but you all know what it looks like

This week I've been installing a new audio system. Replaced the front speakers with some 5" FLI Integrators, the rears with 4" Edge and installed a 12" Edge active subwoofer in the boot. Now I know this stuff isn't top of the range but it's more than good enough for a 19 year old car that doesn't do a lot of miles. I was going to get a 10 " sub but the 12" was actually £5 cheaper it was such a good deal :) However, I refuse to change the original cassette player (they're just better, cassettes got a bad name because everyone bought cheap tapes and then complained that the sound quality was rubbish, anyway moving on). As the head unit has no remote live thingy, I need to install a switch to turn the sub on. So I thought that I would get another heated window switch and use that in one of the blanked off switched on the dashboard. That'll come later
The fronts -
DSC 0148

The rears -
DSC 0146

Here's the sub -
DSC 0149

Oh and I almost forgot my personalised plate, which you've probably already noticed :)

They're the main things that I've done so far, loads of other little things as well but I can't list them all, not so much mods but getting the car into decent condition.

Next thing I fancy doing is upgrading the bulb in the courtesy light, if anyone can recommend a decent one. Oh and the boot light because it's just rubbish.

That's it for now :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 L666JER

L666JER

Ford Fanatic

• FOC Supporters
  • 411 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

Just finished the audio upgrade this morning. Fitted a switch so that the subwoofer can be turned on and off.

Here's where it is going to be fitted, that's the switch at the top

DSC 0153

1/2 hour later and it's all good, just looks like another switch. I put a bit of black tape over the symbol for the rear heated windscreen, so it doesn't look like I have 2 :) Well pleased with it. It's the one furthest right.
DSC 0157

#3 L666JER

L666JER

Ford Fanatic

• FOC Supporters
  • 411 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:50 PM

Well just as I finish the installation my dad asks me if he can test a second hand amp he just bought for his car, as I have all the wiring. Was doing it and everything went dead, rear channel on the headunit is blown, checked every fuse and still broken. Luckily all the new speakers are fine.

Need to find a replacement headunit... Nothing ever goes right for me

#4 luke.grimbley

luke.grimbley

Settling In Well

• FOC Supporters
  • 63 posts
  • Name: Luke
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium 2.0
  • Year: 2009

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

Shame about the head unit:( car looking clean for its age from what i can see though:)

#5 L666JER

L666JER

Ford Fanatic

• FOC Supporters
  • 411 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

Shame about the head unit:( car looking clean for its age from what i can see though:)

Good condition because it's only done 31,000 miles. :)
Gives me an excuse to upgrade to a headunit with Dolby NR and cd changer control :)

#6 luke.grimbley

luke.grimbley

Settling In Well

• FOC Supporters
  • 63 posts
  • Name: Luke
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium 2.0
  • Year: 2009

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

Good condition because it's only done 31,000 miles. :)
Gives me an excuse to upgrade to a headunit with Dolby NR and cd changer control :)

How's she looking underneath, much rust?

Just watch the battery doesn't start to strugle;)

#7 L666JER

L666JER

Ford Fanatic

• FOC Supporters
  • 411 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

How's she looking underneath, much rust?

Just watch the battery doesn't start to strugle;)

Underneath there's no rust at all really, waxoyled it last year so should stay that way. Rear arches have started to go a bit, but it's nothing major i'll sort them in the summer.

When I was testing the sub all last week just at home on the drive, came to start it and it was a little slow starting, should be ok if I keep driving it :)

#8 L666JER

L666JER

Ford Fanatic

• FOC Supporters
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

Well the replacement head unit arrived yesterday, I ordered a Ford 2007R RDS with cd changer control. Was the best OE tape deck you could get back then, unfortunately it requires a separate ford amp (can't use it without it) didn't know that at the time. The chances of me finding one (with the special lead as well) are pretty much zero, so it is on its way back to the seller.

So I got fed up with trying to find a tape deck and went to Halfords at 7 last night and came out with this...

IMG 20140103 143145

DSC 0167

Currently got £80 off it, only £59.00, and I had a £20 gift card :) :)

#9 robertson123

robertson123

Fiesta mk3 addict

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Name: Robert
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta mk3 Si
  • Year: 1996

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

The car looks great mate i love mk3 Ford Fiesta's the best these are my favorite car out of all the old Fords  :)

#10 L666JER

L666JER

Ford Fanatic

• FOC Supporters
  • 411 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

Thanks, I love it it's a great car. It's just so easy to work on - I learned loads from it. It was between this and a Peugeot 205, I think I made the right decision :)

Just wish I could get rid of all the rattles, driving me mad :(

#11 robertson123

robertson123

Fiesta mk3 addict

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

Sounds like a few things need tightening up it could be a few things the wishbones the track rod ends the steering joint/knuckle where is the rattling coming from.To be honest with you also mine is rattly to hell i think it is just the way these cars are made lol i have learned to live with it or if anything turn up the music but seriously it could be something you need to replace 

#12 L666JER

L666JER

Ford Fanatic

• FOC Supporters
  • 411 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

There's a knocking noise from the rear suspension when I go over bumps. Rear bushes? Not sure

They're mainly inside the car. I know one of them is coming from the passenger side door mirror adjuster, but I can't get rid of it - tried tightening it, loosening it and coating it in silicone spray but nothing helps.

My new audio system drowns them out though :D

But hey, if these cars were perfect they'd be boring :)

#13 robertson123

robertson123

Fiesta mk3 addict

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

Find out which rear suspension it is and replace it with a new suspension also you said a noise is coming from the passenger side door mirror adjuster.Do you mean the front passenger side if so that sounds like a new wishbone mate i bet you if you do this i know it is money lol but hopefully this will be your problem and the noises will go 

#14 L666JER

L666JER

Ford Fanatic

• FOC Supporters
  • 411 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Find out which rear suspension it is and replace it with a new suspension also you said a noise is coming from the passenger side door mirror adjuster.Do you mean the front passenger side if so that sounds like a new wishbone mate i bet you if you do this i know it is money lol but hopefully this will be your problem and the noises will go 

I finally managed to get rid of the noise from the passenger side door mirror adjuster, by unscrewing the little plastic ring on it :)
I'm planning on having a look at the rear suspension (with the help of my dad, he doesn't know that though yet) when the weather improves. The noise isn't that loud, you can only just hear it, but it obviously needs something doing with it so I need to investigate.

Got the coolant to replace this week, as the stuff in there is 19 years old, but halfords are sold out.

#15 L666JER

L666JER

Ford Fanatic

• FOC Supporters
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

1390218329974.jpg

Found this...again. Seems to go after longish journeys though - (15+ miles)

Got the coolant done at the weekend as well. The engine seems to get up to temperature a lot quicker, and is running slightly cooler. Clearly after 19 years the original coolant was reaching the end of it's life.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mk3, fiesta, 1995

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users