Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hid Kit

gazsutton

I know some people don't like these but im looking to purchase an HID Kit cus my bulbs don't seem to be cutting it for me and i wondered if anyone who has fitted a kit could recommend as there is a lot on the market. Is there a standard bulb that is close to the HID Kit?

The general consensus is they are illegal, or should I say, they will fail the MOT.

Any kit will cost you your MOT certificate at best, a correction notice from the traffic police at mediocre, or a penalty of points and £'s at worst.

• Like 1

Mot's wouldn't be a prob for me but the fuzz would....

Anybody recommend a just a normal bulb but better than the standard h7.

When you fit them just make sure you level them right so yoy don't blind people and police won't notice/care.

Id say go to a shop snd buy them rather than eBay just incase your not happy.

But no bulbs are near that level of light and as white from a standard h7

I got mjne from HIDs direct on eBay. True they are not strictly legal but if you have projector lenses they don't cause any glare. I've never been flashed or stopped by the police

No my car is only a year old but I will be transferring them to my ST next week and suspect I'll have that 3 years but it's not that hard to just pop the halogen bulbs back in leaving the hid ballast and wiring alone

my father in laws focus went straight through mot a couple of weeks ago with aftermarket hids fitted,i told him it will fail and I was wrong,they were already fitted to car by previous owner and on ford etis it says his car had halogen fitted and when you look at them you can see they are aftermarket?

I think but don't quote me that it's all about the beam pattern with the MOT the tester won't look under the bonnet

Thanks for the helps peeps

Next que is which one 35w or 50/55w

4000k 5000k or 6000k

How do i know if i need a canbus one too?

They are illegal and dangerous on the roads as they require self levelling and washing sensors along with projector headlights. If any of these are missing it should fail the mot, if not the tester is suspect. High end cars even have the suspension levelling instead of the lamp, thats how much effort goes into hids. I've been blinded by illegal hids they are really annoying, in your side mirror esp. If you've got projectors not quite as bad, but reflectors you can forget it IMO.

Thanks for the helps peeps

Next que is which one 35w or 50/55w

4000k 5000k or 6000k

How do i know if i need a canbus one too?

55w 6000k

Mk7 doesn't need canbus but I got them to be on the safe side

Bear in mind that as of next month, the MOT is being tightened up like a hanging noose. The tester is allowed to and will start to look further into the car. Whilst they are not at this time permitted to disassemble the car, if they see something that appears wrong, and the test isnt completed 100% satisfactorily, they could look further into why the car failed (most would call it a diagnosing session) in which case, they are able to investigate the "problem" and can come back and define it as failed for reason X.

personally from being blinded by these !Removed! things ive had enough of them try a unlit country road where an !Removed! with hids improperly fitted is blinding you mid bend you cant stop or brake or see for that matter

I guess if you make sure the test centre offers a free re-test you can always swap the halogens if they pick up on the HID's.

I have also been blinded by badly fitted HID's but also badly aligned halogens so there is really no difference in my view. I was against HID's until recently when I first fit them to mine and I would find it hard to go back to yellow halogens now.

I had them on my cupra r and they were brilliant i could see everything.

I get blinded by factory fitted hid/ xenons on mercs, bmw and audi.

Mot aint a prob as if it is a prob can easily swap the bulbs back.

Not HIDs but I've just put osram night breakers in mine and are a good improvement over standard

Not HIDs but I've just put osram night breakers in mine and are a good improvement over standard

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Fitted some phillips ultimate bulbs to see how these are.

I know they are not going to be as good as the HID Kit but thought id trial them first.

Good choice mate.

Think there are 3 decent options really

1) Osram night breakers

2) Phillips vision

3) mtec

amazon had the osram night breaker titatanium unlimited on offer for 15 quid a pair delivered

They seem alright

Never going to be like hid's but better than standard. They did have standard Philips bulbs in