Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loud Noise When Driving

Madisons123

Hi

I have a 57 plate Ford Focus Zetec Climate and there is a loud noise that sounds like a washing machine appears to be coming from front passenger side wheel. I have had wheel bearings changed on both front wheels in the last year. Noise gets louder as I drive faster and when I hit 70 mph, steering wheel shakes a bit.

Not sure whether its the wheels, balance etc. The tyres are due to be replaced in the next few weeks as tread getting low.

Does anybody have any ideas of what it could be and if its still safe to drive?

Thanks

A shaking steering wheel is never a good sign, could be a problem with the track rod, ARB droplinks, dodgy bearing (doesn't matter if they've recently been done - bad ones do happen), binding brake, CV joint... anything really.

If it were mine (and knowing my luck with Fords, it probably will be before long), I'd get all of the bushes/joints checked out ASAP. Something is moving around that shouldn't be, and it's next to impossible to say without looking.

BigD, thanks for your comments. I've been quite lucky with my Focus', had several and never had a major problem but now this one's getting a bit old so I'm more cautious.

I've tried to ring garage but not open today so I was planning on taking it in for a check over on Thursday/Friday.

Hopefully, it will be fine until then!

Thanks

How did it go? Did you get it to a garage?

My thought was if you turn it on sit in the car and move the steering wheel, if the noise changes sound possible assisted steering?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Hi

Yes. I've had it checked out at the garage and it is o/s/f wheel bearings.

They were replaced just over 12 months ago so not happy having to get them replaced again.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club