Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing Belt Snapping

FordNewbies

Hey Grumpy,

I guess while writing that speech I forget to mention that I got my much loved motor back on the road finally!!!!

Ford was right with their diagnosis. My mechanics was wrong as you now know.

I'm a firm believer in paying people what they are due. Which is why I went down there to face him and talk it all out. And paying him only what the end sum was. All my friends and family were saying I shouldn't have paid him a penny. A small part of me felt that I would be doing him a wrong due to him forking out on the new genuine parts he stuck on the car, what I eventually paid him didn't even cover half the parts he threw on the car.

The further damage comment on the Fords report was in reference to the parts my mechanic had fitted. They weren't sure about them so they reported it, then looked into it all.

It is a shame that our professional relationship had to end but it was all down to his actions.

So £2100 and some change later I'm happily back on the road (my girlfriend is over the moon lool)

Let's just I can't do any mods for quite a while :( :(

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OCk

Blog of

I can see arguments on both sides of the paying him / not paying him argument if I'm honest. My thinking for not paying him is that he should have known not to attempt it in the first place and just sent you to Ford. All the 4 months of hassle would have been avoided then. However, if the bits he fitted are all OK and it was just his messing up with the cam that caused the rest, then I can see an argument for paying him something. It really is a "mood of the day" thing though I think.

When I was reading up all these invoices I was starting to think you'd have been better off just buying a new car, but I guess in the grand scheme of things it could have ended up so much worse. Glad you're back on the road, and it's always a bonus if the other half ends up happy too. SO much easier on the ears ;)

Everyone's argument was I should just cut my losses and buy a new car etc. But I was saying to them I just bought it for x amount of money. Not to mention I love the car to bits. I kinda refused to let it go! Turns out it worked for the best only costing me what it should have been. Around the 2k mark

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OCk

Blog of

If only manufacturers would make their engines non interference,you would only need a new cambelt and tensioner,but i suppose thats too easy and they would lose a fortune in repair costs

Afraid its not that easy anymore, with how refined these engines are there is little room for margins

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

I remember when I was looking into the car I came across the different engine types and was hoping for a non-interface type. But all major car manufacturers stopped producing engines like that purely for refinement reasons like @Nighthawk mentioned.

• 2 years later...

Well mines a zetec S 1.6 tdci 09 mines just gone to 142000 miles so just depends on how you drive your car to how things wear out and keep it serviced best to learn to fix stuff yourself rather than pay silly money good luck 

10 hours ago, Ste,Bury Fiesta z,S,1.6d09 said:

Well mines a zetec S 1.6 tdci 09 mines just gone to 142000 miles so just depends on how you drive your car to how things wear out and keep it serviced best to learn to fix stuff yourself rather than pay silly money good luck 

The thread is 2 years old and is for the notorious DV6 1.6 TDCi engine.....

"so just depends on how you drive your car to how things wear out and keep it serviced ".  I think with timing belts there is more luck to it than simply how you drive your car. Also I don't think keeping it serviced really affects how long the timing belt lasts.

On my 2007 1.6tdci twin cam 16v engine I changed the belt at 117k miles (about 7 yrs old) as I was getting scared it might fail.

Actually doing it yourself is relatively easy compared to some cars, because the bottom pulley has a woodruff key on the end of crankshaft so it is much easier to time it up properly.

Also the fact that it is twin cam doesn't complicate it as the belt drives one cam. the other cam is driven by a chain off the first cam and you don't touch that or even see it when you do the belt

• 2 weeks later...

I think I will have to do mine soon as... mines 63.000 miles

best be safe than sorry.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi i broke down a mile from my home on the motorway started loosing power pulled over to hard shoulder engine wouldn't  start i get my car serviced every year when getting Mot done ive just heard back from my mechanic the timing belt has snapped on my ford fiesta 1.4 tdi  12 plate should this not have checked when getting the service done over the years 

12 minutes ago, Margaret Gallacher said:

Hi i broke down a mile from my home on the motorway started loosing power pulled over to hard shoulder engine wouldn't  start i get my car serviced every year when getting Mot done ive just heard back from my mechanic the timing belt has snapped on my ford fiesta 1.4 tdi  12 plate should this not have checked when getting the service done over the years 

Timing belts aren't checked as part of regular servicing, it takes a lot of labour to access them and really a visual test isn't conclusive anyway.  They should be changed at certain intervals instead.  The interval on the 1.4 TDCi is 112,500 miles or 10 years, so unless you've done high mileage there would be no expectation to have it done yet.  

• Like 1

ok thanks for your reply 

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Timing belts aren't checked as part of regular servicing, it takes a lot of labour to access them and really a visual test isn't conclusive anyway.  They should be changed at certain intervals instead.  The interval on the 1.4 TDCi is 112,500 miles or 10 years, so unless you've done high mileage there would be no expectation to have it done yet.  

but surey when they are filling the service book in they must have know it was due to be changed 

3 hours ago, Margaret Gallacher said:

but surey when they are filling the service book in they must have know it was due to be changed 

What mileage is the car on? 

Timing belt interval probably isn't in the service book, the interval is different for different engines but just one generic service book for all models.

Is it a Ford garage you use or an independent?  

• 1 year later...
On 1/3/2014 at 11:02 AM, FordNewbies said:

Hello All,

Just thought i would share this experience with you lads and ladies.

Yeserday I had my timing belt snap on me. I have a 2010 Ford Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 TDCI at 97000.

I just want to warn people that the 125,000 miles/ 10yrs that ford suggest might just be at a stretch. I suggest get it done much earlier to avoid what i'm about to go through lol.

when i bought the car it put it through a full service and because of the manufacturers recommended time and milage suggested frame the belt was left alone. i ran the service at 94000.

according to my mechanic i might have to replace all 16 valves.

he is first going to order the timing belt change kit from ford then do a compression test. if it passes then happy days if not then the head will have to come off and valves replaced.

lets just say this isn't going to be cheap at all.

Just giving you all a warm warning....

Regards

So I’ve got a Ford Fiesta I’ve had 9 months and it is 6 years old. It’s at 95 on clock and timing belt snapped on Friday. Is there anything I can do or is it just paying for an engine rebuild?

Hi Jessica, you are not going to get much response to your post when it is part of a post dating back to 2014. You would have been better starting a new thread.

In answer to your question:-

16 minutes ago, JessicaAmber935 said:

Is there anything I can do

Yes. Prepare yourself for a massive bill !! Sorry but thats the bottom line, if your car was a bit older it would have been game over.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club