Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus St170, New Clutch And Slave Cylinder, Now Leaking Oil

wayne41

Hi all,

I have a focus st170 2002, i just had a clutchmasters stage 3 clutch fitted, and new slave cylinder, now i got gearbox oil dripping out the bell housing.

The guy from the garage is saying that it has happend to him 5 times
with fords after fitting a new slave cylinder and that i am to make a
claim against ford for a faulty part and labour so he can put it right. I
did call ford parts
to ask if it was a common problem as the garage are saying it is but
ford said no it is not a common problem and that they dont sell that
many of them.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thing is i got the parts from clutchmasters which are bassed in usa,
so i dont have a leg to stand on with then do i? or could i still
claim?.

Does anyone know why it would leak oil after new slave clyinder has
been fitted. I did give him a new master clyinder too but he never
fitted it and never said why he never.

Dont know what to do next, gave the garage £980 (have other bits
done) now i got a leaking gearbox, a drive covered init, car back at
garage.

Any advice welcomed please.

Thanks

Hi Mick,

I had a friend look at it before i took it back to the garage, he said it is gearbox oil, it is dripping from the bottom of the bell housing.

The oil is clear colour but i had just had the engine oil changed in the car too, and he charged me for new sump gasket even though before it never leaked a drop of oil from anywhere before it went into have the work done.

I allways though gear oil was red? but my friend said it can be clear.

No red stuff is ATF automatic transmission fluid gear oil like dark engine oil very distinctive smell off it could be half shaft oil seal or when they resealed the sump leaking

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Mick, the garage is telling me it is leaking from the new slave cylinder, so if there right, would that be a clear fluid? it does smell very smelly.

Check ur brake fluid level are they goin to fit new one no charge for labour when do u get this part fitted is it a back lane garage or repeatable one

• Like 1

I will get the car back tommorow and check the level of brake fluid.

They are saying i need to make a warranty claim from ford for parts and labour, there not saying they will put it right for free. Thing is they know i got the bits from the usa so they know i cant claim?.

It is just a small garage local to me, allways seems busy.

If the slave cylinder is leaking i am going to see that on my brake fluid level right?

Nightmare when did they do the job they could damaged it puttin it in if it only recently fitted had u still got clutch pedal how pedal feel

• Like 1

Yeah m8, do my head in, they done the job day before crombo eve, i got car back noticed leak straight away as was stinking the car out so checked and see dripping from Bottom of bell housing.

Tbh m8 the clutch pedal felt the same as before it went in, no diff at all and bitting points all felt the same but clutch was no longer slipping as before if you try change gear to fast when revs high.

I would say they damaged it on installation like u never actually know who's working on ur could been some idiot I actually seen a fella bursting a slave when bleeding out by pumping pedal

• Like 1

Once the slave is back out, is there anyway you would be able to tell if it was just faulty or if they damaged it?

Tell them u need part back u can check for signs of damage but bottom line they won't take responsibility if part is faulty from main dealer u could probably only claim if job done in main dealer but u have aftermarket part from America doubt they send u replacement an pay for labour unless u start goin down legal route with garage which cost u more in long run

• Like 1

The part is still in the car, that havnt taken it to bits, they just diagnosed the faulty new slave from looking at the leak underneath the car

Nightmere looks like iv lost my money and got to pay again.

But what about the master cly, i asked for that to be fitted with the clutch before they quoted me, but it was still in the car in the box when i got it back, i might try saying well you got to take it back to bits to fit the master cyl you was paid to fit and never.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club