Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electical Mayhem! Keyless Crazyness! Mk2 1.8Tdci

CharliEngine89

So here's the problem/s.

I have a 2006 Focus 1.8tdci Sport that is having some electrical issues that I believe are all connected.

1. Parasitic draw attributed to LCD display in intrument panel not switching off, also radio module shows 0.3A draw when car is off. Possibly linked to possibly faulty micro-switch in ignition barrel. Car not going to "sleep". I have reduced the drain by removing the instrument panel fuse and replacing with a switch. Not eliminated however.

2. Boot unlocks itself at any given moment. Happens when locking/unlocking car generally. I have had trim off and have checked for water damage, found some evidence of water ingress on boot hatch switch connections; cleaned corrosion and dried thoroughly. Removed and refurbed the locking mechanism. Problem persists.

3. When steering lock in engaged there is a clicking noise that immediately comes from the radio unit for the keyless entry system. See photo. That continues to click for as long as the steering lock is engaged.

post-49471-138878699018_thumb.jpg

4. The car unlocks itself while off...sometimes.

I am a confident mechanic and am an engineer by trade working nearly daily with electronics but for the life of me I cannot trace the root of this fault.

Just for added info; the engine ecu was replaced by Ford due to water damage in May. Problem existed before that and after.

Can anyone advise? Anyone with a similar experience? I can't be the only unlucky sod about :S

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Honest advice i understand youre competent but with this type of issue youre better having it looked i take it the lcd doesnt switch off after 40 mins as it should that suggests the pcm module is faulty power control module not ecu the pcm will link to all of the issues you have the car wont sleep till the pcm timer switches off which is also linked to the ecu so unless you have the diagnostic equipment to check the pcm it may be a trip to ford

The pcm itself may be faulty or there's a short in the wiring to or from the pcm or water damage to the pcm there may even be more than one issue all so far suggests more water damage or faulty pcm or wiring

Check that all connectors are fully seated on the central fuse board (footwell).

They can sometimes get kicked and become loose.

Thanks guys.

It is quite likely the pcm has received damage due to electrical surge. I have the diag equipment so I will check that asap.

I have had it with Ford and with an Auto spark and got charged a good bit of money to be told it is "fine".

Stoney I will check that right now. That is quite likely cos Ford garage wrecked the fuse board hinges. It doesn't swing up anymore and it is VERY easy to kick it and the connections.

Will let you know how I get on.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

• 5 years later...

Hi Karl

Did you ever get this problem sorted a my Focus 2.0 TDCI has developed exactly the same problems.

Exceptionally annoying in my older but otherwise perfect Focus.

Seeing as the OP only posted 3 posts total, I doubt your going to get a reply on this one 😞 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club