Show
Photo

Smax Manual Handbrake Stuck On... Any Clues?

Handbrake

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 makalu

makalu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Jon
  • Ford Model: SMax
  • Year: 2008

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

Hi Fellow SMax Pilots.

Decided to join the forum after lurking for a while. I have a 2008 SMax 2.0 Titanium Diesel (140PS) and generally speaking its been a great family car. However yesterday the parking brake decided to jam in the fully up and engaged position (its a manual brake not electric). Despite my uneducated attempts to release it, it was not budging. AA called out and the sourced the problem to a broken release cable in the handle. There is a small flat 'S' shaped (or 'kinked') end to the button release cable that seems to go up inside the handbrake handle's driver's side arm and I think this connects to the spring loaded button in the handle at the top. This 'S' shaped part has broken leaving the spring loaded release button permanently engaged. The nice AA man left me with a piece of wire connected to the release cable which we can now pull on to disengage the button release lock - so at least we have a 'get you home' fix.

I started searching the web to see if there is a replacement cable. Looks like you can buy either an entire handbrake assembly (£160...) or just a replacement handle (£60) - all because of a simple broken cable! The handle option does not appear to include a cable, the full assembly does (at least the pictures on Ebay suggest this is so).

Has anyone else had this problem and what is the best way to fix it? Do I need an entire assembly (like this -> Link) or is there a way to replace just the cable?

Thanks for any help offered!

Mak.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 gregers

gregers

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Name: greg
  • Ford Model: smax titainium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

soz cant offer you any practical advice on a fix,but why not pm any ebay sellers who are breaking an smax for the part.im sure they could be a hell of a lot cheaper??

#3 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,187 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

Im not sure which part you are referring to to be honest, but it does sound like it should be at the base of the handbrake, in which case a trip to the breakers should help you for a lot less money!

#4 Steve1305

Steve1305

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: SMax Zetec 1800 Tdci
  • Year: 2007

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

I had exactly the same last June on my 1800 Tdci Zetec (2007) and again the AA had to do me a Heath Robinson botch till I got to the garage - £200 for a new Unit.

Bizarrely it went again this month though apparently this time it was a calliper that needed adjusted and the handbrake cable also adjusted.

Horrible design and gives no confidence now

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Handbrake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users