Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brakes Sticking

SuperSixFour

Hi Guys,

Happy new year to you all!

I don't have a drive or a garage so I have to park my focus on the road. The road in question is a small hill and I park facing down the hill.

Over Christmas we've had lots and lots of rain and I've noticed a slight popping from the rear brakes (drums) as I'm pulling away after the car has been parked over night.

This morning the rear passenger side was really stuck on, after a few tries at pulling forward, I managed to pop it off in reverse, but it took some doing and did not feel good!

I had an essential journey to make so after reassuring myself with a few emergency brake tests I was on my way.

So a few questions then, why are my rears sticking all of a sudden? Is it anything to do with the rain and being parked on a hill? Do I need to get it to a garage? (service and first MOT due Feb). What do I do if it happens again, presumably just revving until it comes off really isn't healthy.

When I had my fiesta it was laid up for a few months and both rear drums siezed on, I called the RAC and he just got underneath and beat them with a club hammer....scientific!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

rear drums always stick when its wet then cold ive had all new drums and shoes etc still does it nowt to worry about

• Like 1

I get a pop too after heavy rain on my rear disks, its normal i guess.

• Like 1

Basically you get oxidation from the rain water and the oxygen in the atmosphere. In short, they cause a rusting effect on the brake disks and pads and bond them together. The moisture can enter drums and the same effect can occur within a drum and against a shoe. This pop is where you brake the rust and move freely. You may notice a bit more noise from the wheels as your driving as the surface rust is removed.

• Like 1

Mine does the same. I just make sure not to park it too close to anything, so I can rock it backwards/forwards until it unsticks!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

It happened again this morning but nowhere near as bad as the other day. I didn't realise it was such a routine thing, Ive never had it before, but this is my first winter with the Focus, and it has been a wet one!

I wonder when manufacturers will finally ditch rear drums for discs.

Most do these days. my CMAX has it on 2005 plate, and my Cee'd had them as standard. Its slowly becoming more favoured!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club