Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Faulty Boot Door

Mark Williams

I have a 54reg Mondeo and for the last few weeks the boot door has not been staying open. When I open it, it just drops down and closes - I have to hold it open.

Any idea how to fix this? I can't see any obvious screws etc to tighten.

i presume that your car is a hatchback, if that is the case it will be the tailgate struts that have lost there power and will need renewing.its a simple job as the metal plate holding the struts just slide of at both ends and then remove the old strut, see here for new struts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.Xmondeo+tailgate+strut&_nkw=mondeo+tailgate+strut&_sacat=0&_from=R40

It's worth noting what I was told when I asked much the same question last year. Basically, that the gas struts are less efficient in winter as the gas inside is more dense, so doesn't push the strut out as far as it should. This results in me cracking my head on the boot lid more often than I'd like in winter, as it hadn't gone up as high as I thought it was going to. Once a week seems to be the average rate for this happening.

But yeah, if it's dropping all the way down again, the struts need replaced.

Mine are !Removed! in the cold.

Seem to be worse than last winter

Might change them lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club