Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tapping Noise

tonydb

Hey guys hopefully someone can clear this up for me.

When my car is running ,mainly at standstill there's what I would describe as a tapping noise (not too loud).I was told be a friend who knows a bit about cars (or so he says) that its something to do with the cam belt.Now speaking to another mate today who also claims to know a bit , he says different .He says its nothing to do with the cam belt. Now im looking at getting the belt changed at the end of the month anyway as its got 127 k on the clock and I have absolutely no idea if its ever been changed.(it is an ex fleet car so im reckoning it may have been done at 80k ,hopefully)no paperwork to say otherwise though.

I've also just found out its last service was roughly 18 months ago so im going to change the oil/coolant and filters within the next month.

Anyone else have this noise or know what it is?

1.8 lx tddi 54 plate

As always help is most appreciated!

i have got what i think is the same thing. i personally wouldn't call my noise a tapping just like when you lift clutch to far and it wants to stall. i think im getting poor mileage as well about 160 mile to 3 quarters of a tank. i also got told its a vacuum hose. i have recently serviced the car all filters but the fuel filter and it didn't change the problem(i got told it might be a slight misfire).

Do your light flicker when this happens?? they do for me but i also still have the original battery and am changing it this weekend.

I don't know if any of this helps you but if it is the same as my problem i got told its the vacuum hose by someone who genuinely know a lot about cars.

just thought i would try and narrow it down for you.

Hi ,

No I don't get the light flickering and I have a brand new battery. The noise happens when the car is idle, it may be happening when running but its impossible to tell to be honest. I know diesels make a throaty sound but there is something else in the background I can hear!

well mine is petrel, as far as the lights go i think its just the battery struggling, its over 10 years old lol its doing well tbh.

do your revs change when it happens?

no its sits steadily on 800,no problems there !

Its a constant noise, not very loud but you can make it out from the engine running

well i'm not sure. with mine if i put just a few 100 revs it stops.

could it possibly be just something loose and your fuel something else?

sorry i ment to ask what your getting on your mileage. that's what happens when i keep thinking its the same problem lol

The only thing i can suggest to try and find exactly where that noise is coming from open the bonnet and just have a listen.

sorry i could help, it might still be your belt, i'm guessing its high mileage with it being ex fleet. Try a service and belt change n see if that helps. if that noise is coming from the engine in anyway though i would have it looked at could be a bearing or something inside the engine.

get it checked first because if its bad no point servicing etc.