Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Mondeo Tdci 02 Spongy Brakes

sparkplug1988

Hello all. I recently had to replace my drivers side rear caliper as it started leaking brake fluids when I was winding the pistols back. After flitting New pads and a new caliper I bled the caliper I replaced until all the air was out of the system. But when I hold the brake pedal down the pressure is as it should be but then I can feel the brake pedal slowly start dropping as if there air in the system. If checked all calipers and master cylinder for leaks but there's nothing. Is it me being thick and the brakes just need bleeding again or is it something..... Sorry for the rather long story..... If anyone can shine some light on this it would be appreciated thanks for reading

Sent from my C1905 using Ford OC mobile app

Welcome to the family Tony! Where abouts in kent are you?

As for the issue. put the handbrake on, pop the bonnet and open up the brake fluid cap.

Sit in the car and just push the pedals down repeatedly and let it come back up. If there is any air in the system, this will help to remove it. You should feel that the pedal gets more resistant to the push.

If you continue with this and get no further, then check around and make sure there is no indication of any fluid around any of the wheels. If there is, then you need to check that you havent nicked the brake lines or similar, you may also want to check that the pistons havent bled out.

• Like 1

Hello fella thanks for the replie I'll try what you said and see what happens. If checked all calipers and brake lines and there is no leaks.and the brake fluid has stayed at the max level. I will try what you said and see if that helps. The only thing I didn't do when bleeding the brakes was undo the brake fluid cap. But obviously I did UN do it to top up the brake fluid. Unless the master cylinder is on its way out. I'm from the folkestone area. Many thanks

yeah, if you undo the cap you release the pressure which should release any trapped air.

Let us know how you get on!

I hate to say it but you may well have damaged the master cylinder by not opening the reservoir when rewinding the piston...

Can you pump the brake pedal up till it goes solid? If so and you hold your foot on the pedal, does it eventually drop?

+1 the back pressure from pushing the calipers back without the lid off may have reversed the seals in the master cylinder

Hello all. I recently had to replace my drivers side rear caliper as it started leaking brake fluids when I was winding the pistols back. After flitting New pads and a new caliper I bled the caliper I replaced until all the air was out of the system.

If you've only bled at the one calliper that you have replaced, there is a chance that you have air in one of the pipe runs to the other callipers. I think that you should bleed them all.

All brakes bled. And returned to normal. There was still air trapped.and lucky to not muck up the master.. Silly school boy error. You live and learn.thanks for all the help

Glad to hear its back to normal :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club