Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Drums To Disks Conversion. Mk2 1.6Petrol

SamBerry

I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone has converted the rear drums to disks on a 2007 mk2 1.6 petrol focus? And info is much appreciated!

yeah dont bother lol disks on the rear are actually not as good as drums so really youll spend money just for looks

• Like 2

yeah dont bother lol disks on the rear are actually not as good as drums so really youll spend money just for looks

Arthur where did you get that from? Drive through a puddle and your drums are filled with water, Left overnight after some rain, water filled drums resulting in sluggish brakes, i hate it with a passion and i cannot stand it, nothing like disc brakes, quick brake test drys off the pads and disc plus the it dramatically increases the car stopping ability.

Plus you can always upgrade your front brakes but keeping the drums will have a very bad imbalanced braking performance.

Sam i'm in the process of doing this mod (However slowly, got alot going on atm my build thread is on hold) I have a translated guide from another member here. I also have a full list of all parts needed, since the parts are available directly from dealers and parts company it's therefore easy enough to get a supply of pads brakes pistons calipers pins and hand brake cables, the hardest part is labour, Will post up links

• Like 1

Here you go http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/43165-my-focus-mk2-first-edition/

Wilco has completed this mod and upgraded front brakes, have a look through his build thread the guide is there. I remember doing the conversion on my VW polo, the difference in brake performance cannot be matched, drums are crap, In my polo the brakes were so strong it could lock up the rear wheels (none abs car)

• Like 1

This is something I have dont on my previous cars and is on my todoblist again.

You notice the difference in stopping

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Rear disc brakes are definetely a big improvement to the standard drum brakes. The car is much more stable on the rear end when braking.

Retrofitting rear disc brakes on a Focus MK2/MK2.5 is relatively easy. It is basically a matter of removing the drum brakes and bolting on the disc brake parts. A lot of parts of the rear axle are the same for rear dis and rear drum brakes. Even the wheel hubs are the same.

In some European countries (Germany for example) all Focus MK2/MK2.5 are equipped with rear disc brakes as standard. In some other countries the 1.4,1.6 and 1.8 Petrol and 1.6 TDCI hatchback and sedan versions were equipped with drum brakes while all wagon versions had disc brakes. The disc brakes of a hatchback, sedan or wagon are completely identical.

I bought 2 used rear brake calipers from a German scrapyard for €100,- and rebuild them myself. I bought all others parts (OEM or better quality) from an online parts supplier. All parts costed me about €300,- and it took me about 6 hours to disassemble the drum brakes and assemble the disc brakes.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies dudes! Will look in to it! :)

• Like 1

Here you go http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/43165-my-focus-mk2-first-edition/

Wilco has completed this mod and upgraded front brakes, have a look through his build thread the guide is there. I remember doing the conversion on my VW polo, the difference in brake performance cannot be matched, drums are crap, In my polo the brakes were so strong it could lock up the rear wheels (none abs car)

Is there a list of the parts somewhere? What parts from what models ect? Would be great! :)

I made a Dutch guide last year which I translated to English recently. When I am back from work I will post a link to my guide. This guide mentions all needed parts/part numbers. All parts are Original Focus MK2/MK2.5.

• Like 2

70 percent of the braking is done on the front so rear disks dont do that much work fords rear disks are notorious for ceasing rusting and causing problems especially in wet weather where roads are covered in road salt ive fixed enough of them to know yet barely touch drums had it before spent a lot of money and it was a pointless excercise other than it looks better but each to there own if they think a few hundred pounds is worth it for not very much maybe a metre or two less stopping distance but since the engine should be slowing the car down you wouldnt notice it anyway if youre driving properly

• Like 1

Wilco,

feel free to share it in the guides section, I am sure that others will definately benefit from it!

I made a Dutch guide last year which I translated to English recently. When I am back from work I will post a link to my guide. This guide mentions all needed parts/part numbers. All parts are Original Focus MK2/MK2.5.

Has this been posted yet?

Not yet, I am very busy at the moment. In the afternoon, when I am back from work I will upload the guide and share the link to the download location.

My focus has disc breaks on the back,although i diddnt fit them they were on it when i bought it.I tested other cars with standard drums and this stops twice as good.I think artscot just lost all his credibility :P

70 percent of the braking is done on the front so rear disks dont do that much work fords rear disks are notorious for ceasing rusting and causing problems especially in wet weather where roads are covered in road salt ive fixed enough of them to know yet barely touch drums had it before spent a lot of money and it was a pointless excercise other than it looks better but each to there own if they think a few hundred pounds is worth it for not very much maybe a metre or two less stopping distance but since the engine should be slowing the car down you wouldnt notice it anyway if youre driving properly

There is no question that the discs are more efficient, you even said yourself there is maybee a metre or 2 less stopping distance - that could mean the difference between an accident or not, or someone getting injured (or worse) or not

On a high performance/modified/ hard driven car, a car that is driven with a heavy load or somone who tows, discs are best, the brakes are more powerful and less liable to fade

For many people they are probably a waste of money though, and not worth the hassle (on o low powered car that is not used for towing or driven hard etc) as the drums should be "adequate"

It just depends how the car is used - definetely more than a cosmetic upgrade, though

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am considering carrying out this mod in the future on my 59 plate MK2.5, I did it on my Facelift Mk 1. What a difference it made especially with a heavy loaded car.

I do have a question about the hoses. I will be changing the brake hose set before I do the Mod and I see you changed them as part of the mod. Are the hoses different between the Drum and Disc? I don't want to get ones for the drums then in a few months time change the rear ones again. If it's just a matter of length then I would get the longer ones as these would fit both or is a more fundimental difference such as the fitting at the caliper end?

Thanks.

Based on technical drawings of ATE there are a few differences between the rear brake hoses for disc or drum brakes.

* Lenght. The brake hoses for disc brakes are a bit longer.

* Fitting at the caliper end. The thread is the same (M10 x 1) but the threaded end of drum brake hoses is much longer than the threaded end of disc brake hoses.

* Position of the vulcanised rubber protection sleeve and mounting grommet.

Based on the technical drawings I suppose the brake hoses for disc brakes will probably not fit on drum brakes.

• Like 1

Hi,

OK thanks for that info. I may just change the front for now and change the rear at the same time as I do the mod. I will be going for braided steel hoses when I do.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am about to buy another Mondeo mk2 Zetec 1.8i 5dr hatch W reg 2000year and found it has rear disc brakes. Was this a factory option on the Zetec or would this be a mod done by a previous owner. Could this be a risky purchase?

didn't they and don't they still, Mondeos have rear discs

Hi Dee, My X reg Mondeo Zetec 1.8i has drum rear brakes, which is why I asked if disc rears was a factory option that I did'nt know about.