mch1991

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Name: Michael
  • Ford Model: 2003 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi
  • Year: 2003

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

I had a similar problem with my 2.0 TDCi Mondeo.

Yesterday i cleaned the EGR valve out, and air intake manifold, and must have removed around a kilo of carbon deposits that was strangling the air flow to the engine. I also cleaned the Mass Air Flow Sensor too (very easy task).

The car smoked for a while afterwards (black soot was being blown out of the exhaust), after a good blast and some high RPM driving, there is basically no smoke coming from the car...except for the usual diesel smoke under heavy acceleration.

Give the EGR valve a good clean, also do the same for the engine intake manifold and MAF. This will help your car in so many ways.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 ghiaxkev

ghiaxkev

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Name: kevin
  • Ford Model: 06 mondeo ghia x tdci euro IV 130bhp
  • Year: 2006

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

Hi all

just an update. Locak garage has looked at the car and done a diagnostics for me. Showed no error codes whatsoever so thats good news.

It needs a new fuel filter and air filter and they are doing the egr and inlet manifold clean for me as well.

Total cost inc labour, both filters and vat comes to £120. Spoke to the garage i got it from and they said for me to get it done and they will pay for it.

So happy days. Saves me, by the sounds of it, a bit of a messy job. Hopefully it will solve the black smoke. If not i guess ill have to take it back to the garage i got it from as from what ive read it'll prob be the injectors gone/on the way out or something ekse quite serious.

Pretty sure an error code would have been found if that was the case though??!!

#18 Italiot

Italiot

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 151 posts
  • Name: Aaron
  • Ford Model: Mondeo titanium x 2.0 tdci 140bhp
  • Year: 2009

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

Has anyone manage to r

#19 Italiot

Italiot

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 151 posts
  • Name: Aaron
  • Ford Model: Mondeo titanium x 2.0 tdci 140bhp
  • Year: 2009

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

Sooty about that knock wrong button has anyone managed to remove the egr on a mk4 as I could only find six bolts for it but wouldn't budge and I didn't want to force it incase I brake something

#20 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Ford Enthusiast

• Super Mod
  • 10,968 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus CMAX 1.6 CVT TDCI
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Glad to see its all done Kev :) as long as the garage upholds there word... :D

#21 ghiaxkev

ghiaxkev

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Name: kevin
  • Ford Model: 06 mondeo ghia x tdci euro IV 130bhp
  • Year: 2006

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

hi guys

thought id let you know how things have been going on.

dealer paid for the work done so all good on that front lol

the garage did another diagnostic on it and still found no fault codes at all. they did the egr and inlet manifold clean and checked my intercooler pipe (they took it off to check it) and gave me a new fuel and air filter

they found the intercooler pipe fine with no splits or tears in it.

well i have driven the car around for a week giving it some good revs and the problem is still there. i really wouldnt say its even any better to be honest which is worrying. although i dont smell diesel anymore which is a tiny bit reassuring.

so i think im going to have to take it back to the dealer and get them to look at it. just wondered what you guys thought it could be from here???? if it is something like the injectors i would have thought a fault code would have been logged???

if it is them (or something else expensive like £1000+ kind of thing) will the garage have to fix it as i only paid £2800 for the car in the first place or can they deem it uneconomical and just give me my money back etc

many thanks  :)

#22 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Ford Enthusiast

• Super Mod
  • 10,968 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus CMAX 1.6 CVT TDCI
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

To be honest, it could be something simple, or it could be the injector coding is lost and they need recoding.

I think that you have the right idea taking the car back to the garage, however, I know you have a long drive ahead of you!

I would suggest contacting them and seeing if they will give you a car to use whilst they fix yours. If the answer is no, then perhaps look to get your car "recovered" by your recovery agent to their garage if they confirm they will deliver the car back to you.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users