Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Y Cable

JAR897

you did save it as Ford1 without the quotation marks yeah?

yep, But think I have worked out what was wrong, Me songs in itunes came from my cd's and got saved as M4 thingy files, changed the buggers to mp3 and redone the playlists and now the lovely lady in the dash board does as she is asked bless her.

Took me a few days to work it but got there in the end :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nipz

• FMC

• TonyEssex

• meddyliol

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a new Fiesta on Monday, ordered the 'Y' cable the same day & received it today. I plugged in my Ipod Classic and after a short while guess what? I had the same message 'error reading device'. Put my Wife's Ipod Nano in and the same thing happened. What's going on? Has anyone else had the same problem?

Cheers

Brian

Help I also have a simular problem. I connect my Ipod nano with the Y cable, and all works well for about 5 minutes. Then I'm unable to use the in car computer with error message unable to initialize? I then unplug the USB, reconnect, the Ipod then initializes and the same thing occurs? Any ideas???????????????

I keep getting the same issue again, works fine some days then get the error reading device

Want to take it back to dealers but dont want to turn up and it work fine

I cant work out what the issue is, when the problem occurs the ipod plays for around a minute then the error appears

:huh:

I keep getting the same issue again, works fine some days then get the error reading device

Want to take it back to dealers but dont want to turn up and it work fine

I cant work out what the issue is, when the problem occurs the ipod plays for around a minute then the error appears

I've had a chat with a guy at PC World. He thinks it's a possible radio code problem. So I'll have to take the car up to the dealer. :(

• 2 weeks later...

it seems to be an issue with the newer type of ipod, according to ford, they had a look at my car and have no fix :(

it seems to be an issue with the newer type of ipod, according to ford, they had a look at my car and have no fix :(

My iPod is quite an old one, it's one of the first gen video ipods - do you think that'll be ok?

(car is on order at present)

okay talked this through with an engineer, it seems you can play the ipod fine with just the aux cable in but with the usb lead out, but this stops you controlling the ipod via the car.

he said there would be some settings i can change on the ipod once connected to my computer which would stop the issues. anyone know where some kind of connectivity settings are when an ipod is connected to a pc? i have looked on itunes and cant see anything that would help.

• 3 weeks later...
okay talked this through with an engineer, it seems you can play the ipod fine with just the aux cable in but with the usb lead out, but this stops you controlling the ipod via the car.

he said there would be some settings i can change on the ipod once connected to my computer which would stop the issues. anyone know where some kind of connectivity settings are when an ipod is connected to a pc? i have looked on itunes and cant see anything that would help.

:huh: I have taken the car back to Ford, 4 times. Don't seem to know what they are doing? I have a nano quite old and have a ipod touch brand new. Both still fail after a short amount of time. I have reset the older nano back to factory settings and still the same problems. The weird thing is the ipod still charges after it fails? On longer journeys now I use an adaptor from maplins in the aux socket, which always works. And reconnect the y cable to recharge the battery in the ipods. :(

Well if my ipod fails and Ford can't find a fix for it I'll be rejecting the car, simple as that.

Selling ford 'y' cable if any ones interested? open to offers, im not using it so i may as well take anyhting for it. id like to see 15 pounds any way.

Will the new 2nd gen ipod touch work with the cables and new fiesta?

• 2 weeks later...
YCAbler.jpg

Section A - plugs into the ipod/iphone/iphone 3G

Section B - transmits audio only! If you havn't ordered the USB in the car then it will just be a wire with that on both ends which you require. One end goes into the ipod/iphone headphone socket, the other into the car. (Does not support data on the screen or changing tracks from the stero etc).

Section C - USB which plugs into the usb port for those who have it. This allows data to be pulled from the iphone/ipod regarding the tracks and artists etc, so will show up on the car screen. It also allows information to be sent to the ipod/iphone asking to change tracks etc.

OUTCOME: Only those with the USB functionality will have the music information (title, track, artist) on the screen of the car. Only those with USB will be able to change track from steering wheel / dashboard.

Those without will have to do it from the iphone / ipod itself.

If you don't have the USB option get this:

2.5 male to male sterio jack cable

If you do have USB option, get this:

FORD Y-CABLE!

A normal USB cable doesn't work as the usb port encrypts the data bafore it is sent, so only special cables can transmit the data successfully.

Any questions?

can anyone confirm that this will work with the iPhone 3G and display properly on the screen and be able to skip tracks using the conrtol on the steering wheel?

• 4 weeks later...

My old iPod Mini doesn't work. My newer iPod Nano does work. Anyone else? What's the fix?

I'm using the Y cable, from Ford, and the car is brand new. The Nano functions fully - great. But the car does not recognise the Mini as an iPod, only as a USB device, and fails to find any music on it. Meanwhile the Mini just says Do Not Disconnect.

I can play music from the Mini if I connect only the LineIn, not the USB - but of course that means not only that the user interface is poor but more importantly that the Mini is not charging.

The symptoms are the same if I use Apple's USB-to-iPOD white cable.

On the way to NGH tonight the audio kept cutting out. It continued playing, the time counting down, but no audio. I tried to play it without the USB cable in and just the 3.5mm jack, but there was still no audio.

Weird >_<

Managed to wangle a free Y lead from my dealer so if i get any problems (like lots of people have) then I'll simply ditch the iPod and get a mini USB drive and leave that permanently plugged in.

Does anyone know if it is ossible for me to rip my music from iTunes (in whatever m4a/m4p formats they originate) and burn onto a USB drive in MP3 formats??? Help on this appreciated!

Managed to wangle a free Y lead from my dealer so if i get any problems (like lots of people have) then I'll simply ditch the iPod and get a mini USB drive and leave that permanently plugged in.

Does anyone know if it is ossible for me to rip my music from iTunes (in whatever m4a/m4p formats they originate) and burn onto a USB drive in MP3 formats??? Help on this appreciated!

I use a programme called 'TuneAid'. I find it excellent. I use an Apple Mac so don't know if it works on Windows.

I have windows XP anyway :-

In iTunes (on the main iTunes header) go Edit, Preferences, General Tab and then click Import Settings, in the drop down menu for “Import using” select MP3 Encoder (if that’s the format you want) and then click OK to save the settings

Select the songs you want to convert (personally I used Edit, Select All)

Then this time go to Advanced (on the main iTunes header) and create MP 3 version – This then converts songs to a different file format while keeping a copy of the original (but I don’t think you can't convert iTunes Store purchases as they are protected so you might need different software not sure why this would bother Apple as you have already bought it from them ?)

Then find your iTunes folder or do a search for .MP3 files in your iTunes folder and then just copy them onto your USB stick

Hope that helps

Oh forgot to say that whilst it makes an MP3 copy of your files it also keeps the original copy in whatever format it was in too, just in case you wanted it, thats why you need to do an MP3 search, let me know if it did what you wanted or not ta

Well, tried my iPod Touch in the Fiesta today. Connected via USB only - the white Apple cable. Display comes up with all the navigation features but no noise comes out. So had to revert to using the Line In.

It sounds from this thread that that is what I should have expected. But before I got the car I deliberately took my iPod and the white Apple iPod -> USB cable to the dealers and it worked in a Fiesta that was in the showroom - navigation and sound just with USB connected to the iPod.

Wierd.

Will probably stick with a USB drive anyway - the girlfriend uses the iPod mainly, so whenever the iPod is in the car she'll be in the car as well, so she can control it. Trying to scroll down a full collection's worth of iPod music library using the car's controller would probably take the length of any journey and be somewhat distracting. I'll stick with USB drives with a subset of the music on.

Got my Y cable the other day and so far no problems at all with its operation using my 60GB video ipod (first gen video - i think it's a 5th gen ipod?)

Also works perfectly with the missus's 30GB ipod, same age as mine :)

:D

I ummed and ahhed about getting a Y cable but in the end spent £15 on a 16gb Sandisk USB drive. IMO, the USB is the easiest option if your music, like mine, is all mp3 and independent of the iTunes library.

Also a lot easier to just unplug it when you park and drop it in the door bin. The clever system even remembers the last track when you plug back in B)

I ummed and ahhed about getting a Y cable but in the end spent £15 on a 16gb Sandisk USB drive. IMO, the USB is the easiest option if your music, like mine, is all mp3 and independent of the iTunes library.

Also a lot easier to just unplug it when you park and drop it in the door bin. The clever system even remembers the last track when you plug back in B)

Can you create playlists/favourites on the USB drive or does it just list tracks in A-Z format?

Can you also browse by artist/album/song track/genre etc, like an ipod?? :unsure:

I've contemplated getting one, but TBH, i haven't used either ipod much since i paid over £400 for the pair a few years ago, and i'm still waiting to get my money's worth! :lol: (i missed getting a Focus ST by about a month becasue there was no news back when the facelift came out when they would start building them with the USB option, so i went and ordered it without one becasue i was too impatient to wait :()

I do like the small size of the mini USB drives and will probably get one in the future

:)

Can you create playlists/favourites on the USB drive or does it just list tracks in A-Z format?

Can you also browse by artist/album/song track/genre etc, like an ipod?? :unsure:

I've contemplated getting one, but TBH, i haven't used either ipod much since i paid over £400 for the pair a few years ago, and i'm still waiting to get my money's worth! :lol: (i missed getting a Focus ST by about a month becasue there was no news back when the facelift came out when they would start building them with the USB option, so i went and ordered it without one becasue i was too impatient to wait :()

I do like the small size of the mini USB drives and will probably get one in the future

:)

You can create playlists for a USB drive with various software programs but to be honest it looks too much ag to me :huh: My music is in a folder called FORD1 containing sub folders for each artist and in them the albums. The display lets you browse everything but genre which suits me. One thing though, there's no gapless playback like an iPod, so something like Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon doesn't flow like it should :(

You can create playlists for a USB drive with various software programs but to be honest it looks too much ag to me :huh: My music is in a folder called FORD1 containing sub folders for each artist and in them the albums. The display lets you browse everything but genre which suits me. One thing though, there's no gapless playback like an iPod, so something like Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon doesn't flow like it should :(

Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely stick with my ipod for the time being then, but the idea of a mini USB drive is not lost on me!

One thing i've considered is a little ipod shuffle hidden into the centre console somehow, but that might involve too much fiddling with removing bits of plastic to hide the Y cable :(