AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

CharlieUK

12V Whining Noises

3 posts in this topic

My fiesta 1.25 56 plate has developed a strange wheezing/whining noise from the 12V plug in the cabin. It only seams to appear when I charge my phone from a low battery state as though it is trying to suck more power in,It gets louder s I acelerate a bit like a tinny turbo. is it something should be worried about or is it nothing. Cheers

I have noticed this with a few phone chargers, one of mine does it too and has done since new but only in the Ibiza..I wouldn't worry about it - I know it's annoying though

It's might be a leaking capacitor in the 12V port. They basically store power to smooth the outflow, and they tend to make a high-pitched whine when they're going bad.

You could take the socket out and have a look around. Usual signs are the capacitor bulging, or brown residue on the end of the capacitor.