Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Correct Replacement Gearbox For Focus 2005 1.6?

Frimley111R

Hi All,

I am looking at some on eBay but how do I know if they are the right ones given that there were some changes to the gearboxes over the years (mine is the one with the crappy design that, iirc, they stopped using).

Thanks

You suffering the ZF gearbox by any chance?

on petrols its an ib5 gearbox same as 1999 just updated a bit if its a manual that is also used in a rover 25

If your car is manual shifted you should indeed have the IB5 gearbox. Be aware that there are a lot of differences between the different types of IB5 gearboxes. The gear ratio of most engine types/Ford models is different. In my opinion the IB5 gearbox is a good gearbox with no big problems.

If your car is an automatic there are 2 possible gearboxes. The very early MK2 1.6 Petrol versions had a conventional 4-speed automatic gearbox (4F27E). Later MK2 1.6 Petrol versions had a CVT type automatic gearbox (CFT23). The CVT type automatic gearbox was available for the 1.6 Petrol and 1.6 TDCI diesel version. On the 1.6 petrol it is a relativ good gearbox with no big problems. On the 1.6 TDCI there were a lot of problems with the CVT gearbox. I am told this is because the CVT gearbox was not suitable for the relativ high torque of the 1.6 TDCI.

Correct Wilco, the TDCI (as I refer to it is the ZF gearbox). Long story short, engine puts out maximum of 240nM of Torque, ZF gearbox can only handle 230nM of Torque. The issues is understood to be related to the Torque Converter being unable to cope, various parts break off, and result in a dead transmission.

Many (like me) are sitting on a ticking timebomb wondering when the next journey is going to be the last! :p

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club