Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Ford Fair 2016: Tickets and stand passes are now available to purchase. More info here.

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Electrotrash

Ignition Key Sticking In Lock Barrel.

3 posts in this topic

In the last few days my ignition key has refused to come out of the lock barrel when turning off the engine. The key does not make it to the '0' position but stops just short of this. The only way round it is to start the engine again, move the car slightly and switch off. This usually works after one to two tries. The car has an auto gearbox and the gear selector has been placed in 'P' before switching off. Is there any sort of interlock between the transmission selector and the ignition switch/steering lock? I am trying to work if the problem is just the lock barrel or something else. Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

I thought the steering lock was to do with the position of the steering wheel? It could be sticking, have you tried jiggling the wheel at the same time? Another possibility could be the ignition barrel behind the steering lock might be loose and turning so when you turn the key again it is relocating itself?

Sent from my HUAWEI P2 using Ford OC mobile app

I have the same issue on occasion when I dont put the car into Park. then on occasion I have to wiggle the key to release. I found this when it was a new key, its not too bad these days...