Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Consumption Ecoboost Powershift

Mikeq

New member. Just bought new Ecoboost 1Litre Powershift 5 door Titanium X as second car for my wife but I also drive as it was supposed to be more economical than my XJ 3litre Diesel.

Only getting 21 around town and 36 on a run. The car has only done about 200 miles should it improve as it loosens up or have I bought a lemon? Get better consumption from my XJ and my wife was getting better consumption from her old Hyundai Sant Fe 2/3 years old.

you are comparing a Fiesta to an XJ... 2 VERY different cars.

how old is your XJ? how many miles has it done? and its diesel

how old is your Fiesta (did you buy it brand new)? its done 200 miles, and its petrol

The XJ is just over 1 year old covered 6000 miles and is getting close to the combined 47mpg at around 43mpg and did from day 1. Does over 50mpg on a motorway run if I take it easy.

The Fiesta is brand new and Ford quote 42.8 Urban 72.6 Extra Urban and 57.7 Combined. I have monitored my wife on her short runs and she is getting 21. I zeroed it and did a return trip up the A1 to Doncaster and driving steady no/little town centre driving and steady driving only got 36mpg. I will monitor it for the time being and do an actual fuel fill up as it could always be the Ford computer giving spurious reading. Either way it is not good. Furthermore petrol cars should perform better than diesel on short runs as they warm up quicker. Got better out of her 2.2 litre diesel Santa Fe.

you have to bear in mind that your Jaguar will have an 8 speed box and your Fiesta has a 6 speed box.

official MPG figures are taken in a 'controlled' environment. in the real world you have the elements to contend with. try slowing down to 60 on a run. calculate the MPG you are actually getting instead of taking the reading from the dash

Mike - something is really up. On a flat surface you should easily be able to push the car forwards or backwards to see if the brakes are binding. All the spark plug leads firmly in place? Engine sounds sweet at tickover? You've done a proper mpg test (miles divided by gallons) rather than believe the digital readout?

Hi Tom

Have checked the plugs all 3 of them and brakes already. Just about to do a proper mpg calculation today. But if the digital readout is wrong how can I trust even the mileage? Will post again later when I have done the fill up.

Have you got a sat-nav or one of the free aps for your phone? That should give you a pretty accurate mileage check.

Have now done the check and am pretty sure about miles as I know where we have been.

Car has done 213 miles 135 was on clock as it was delivered by road from dealer so that is 78 miles. Filled up when car was delivered and just filled up 13.1 litres /4.54 = 2.88 gallons which equates to 27 mpg. 40 of those miles were a trip to outskirts of Doncaster up A1 so this is pretty crap.

my ecoboost has now done 7000 miles and im averaging about 40-41 mpg on the clock, but from a full tank i can get 400 miles which is around 45, but thats all motorway driving. i admit that the engine around the city is pretty rubbish on fuel tbh

New engines need time to run in, I know it's a diesel but my Fiesta didn't hit 60+mpg until after 15k miles and then it was fantastic.

What Nath said... After only 200 miles the car is not going to be particularly efficient, the engine will take a good few thousand miles to bed in and economy will improve as the miles go on.

Manufacturer quoted figures are all well and good, but to create a fair test between all brands, cars are tested in controlled conditions - ambient air and engine temperature, constant speed/distance etc and all performed in a lab as opposed to real world driving conditions.

The best thing you can do is keep recording the mileages you're getting (both from the trip computer and from your own calculations - car can over or under read), keep doing it as the car's total mileage increases and I'm sure you'll see a massive improvement :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club