31 replies to this topic

#1 Jonny87

Jonny87

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:16 AM

Was just reminiscing about a drive I did last year from Lands End to John o Groats and it got me wondering about how far some of you guys might have driven. Whats the longest journey you ever did? Anyone driven to Spain? Italy? Further?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Nipz

Nipz

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Zetec MK7
Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:31 AM

Plymouth to Bristol is my longest :) Would love to do a Lands End to John o Groats trip!

How many days did it take?

#3 smudger

smudger

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Ford Model: 2009 Fiesta 1.6TDCi Titanium 5dr
Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:48 AM

Any journey out of Cornwall is a long journey? lol
Do lots of out of County driving as my 11yr old daughter is a very talented runner so we have to go further afield for her to get the standard of competition she needs. Even a drive to Exeter from home is nerly 100 miles each way.

Longest drive in UK, was from Newquay to Edinburgh via Darlington & Newcastle, driving home via Carlise & Blackpool.

Otherwise have driven a lot in France - Plymouth to Roscoff - down through France and into Northern Spain to Santander to catch ferry back to Plymouth being furthest and a good drive, roads are so much quiter and we avoided toll roads most of the time to take in some countryside.

#4 Jonny87

Jonny87

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:08 AM

Plymouth to Bristol is my longest :) Would love to do a Lands End to John o Groats trip!

How many days did it take?

Bit of an odd story really. Was chatting to a mate of mine and it ended up with him disagreeing with me that its possible to drive from Lands End to John o Groats in one day. So I did it! was about 22 hours end to end. I live just north of London though so I had to drive from London to Lands End to John o Groats to London. So in total was practically doing the journey twice and then some! Whole lot in two days. Slept in the car at Wick.

Highly recommend it mate. I did it in winter so it was dark most of the time which was a shame, I might do it again this summer in the new fiesta (when I get it) to get it run in and to enjoy the trip a bit more as there will be more daylight and i'm certain I missed some beautiful scenery. Managed to find some amazing driving roads on the way though was brilliant fun at times. At the end of it the passenger footwell was full of coffee cups, empty redbulls, bottles of water, burger kings........

#5 Nipz

Nipz

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Zetec MK7
Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:13 AM

Bit of an odd story really. Was chatting to a mate of mine and it ended up with him disagreeing with me that its possible to drive from Lands End to John o Groats in one day. So I did it! was about 22 hours end to end. I live just north of London though so I had to drive from London to Lands End to John o Groats to London. So in total was practically doing the journey twice and then some! Whole lot in two days. Slept in the car at Wick.

Highly recommend it mate. I did it in winter so it was dark most of the time which was a shame, I might do it again this summer in the new fiesta (when I get it) to get it run in and to enjoy the trip a bit more as there will be more daylight and i'm certain I missed some beautiful scenery. Managed to find some amazing driving roads on the way though was brilliant fun at times. At the end of it the passenger footwell was full of coffee cups, empty redbulls, bottles of water, burger kings........

Sounds amazing!

I possibly might do it in the summer with the GF for a kinda holiday, as were not going away this year.

#6 KeithC

KeithC

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta 1.4 Titanium
Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:13 AM

In one day, about 490 miles.

Done 400+ in a day loads of times, ie London and back home but the above, from home to Norwich and back was probably the longest and was done in a tranny van.

#7 BenW

BenW

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta mk7

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:17 AM

I'm driving to sunderland from worcester this weekend, 233 miles! Be my longest journey. :)

#8 Jonny87

Jonny87

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:31 AM

Sounds amazing!

I possibly might do it in the summer with the GF for a kinda holiday, as were not going away this year.

Go for it! Another pointless but fun drive I did was GB and Ireland. Drove from England to Stranraer in Scotland, Ferry to Belfast NI, drive to Dublin ROI, Ferry to Holyhead in Wales, drive back to England. Was a bit more expensive though because of the two ferries. Looking forward to when the new fiesta arrives as it will obviously be alot more reliable than my current 1998 one, want to have a go at a bit of continental driving, not sure where though! I have a tendancy of getting somewhere and thinking "No, not far enough" lol, as you might have gathered.

#9 Reaper

Reaper

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Ford Model: Mountune Fiesta Zetec-S140
Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

My longest drive, albeit based over 10days was:

Dartford to Troon (ferry to Larne)
Larne to Belfast
Belfast to Dublin (ferry to Liverpool)
Liverpool to Essex

Which in total came to 1450miles, but the most at any one time was 436miles

#10 hedgepig

hedgepig

Too much time on the boards

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.0 125 Titanium X
  • Year: 2013

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:12 PM

In one day, about 490 miles.

Done 400+ in a day loads of times, ie London and back home but the above, from home to Norwich and back was probably the longest and was done in a tranny van.

Strangely enough my longest drive was in a 7.5 ton lorry when a few years ago I had to deliver some picture frame moulding to a company in Northumberland so I guess that was 400+ miles round trip all in one day.

I'd sooner have done it in a car but it just wouldn't be able to carry all the weight.................... ;)

I regularly do 100+ mile trips as Janet and I like to go away at weekends when the funds allow of course. :)

#11 Jonny87

Jonny87

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

Strangely enough my longest drive was in a 7.5 ton lorry when a few years ago I had to deliver some picture frame moulding to a company in Northumberland so I guess that was 400+ miles round trip all in one day.

I'd sooner have done it in a car but it just wouldn't be able to carry all the weight.................... ;)

I regularly do 100+ mile trips as Janet and I like to go away at weekends when the funds allow of course. :)

Nice one Mr. Hedgepigs! I like your style! One day I hope to be able to go away at the weekend too :)

#12 kremmen

kremmen

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Puma

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:50 PM

I don't go too far in the car but most summers I pop off to Europe on the bike.

Last year I did a leisurley trip which was fantastic click here or here

About 2000miles once I did some detours.

Paul

#13 Dave_The_Rave

Dave_The_Rave

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford fiesta ghia
Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:55 PM

My lOngest Journey was from Bristol (where i live) down to Lands end. Took about Four hours in total and stopped twice each way to refuel.

#14 StuartM

StuartM

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Ford Model: 2008 Fiesta Zetec Climate 1.4TDCi

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

My longest journey was to Cornwall on holiday once.
With my year old son at the time on board we did it in 2 days, stopping overnight just south of Bristol.

I regularly used to do Birmingham and back in one day in a previous job. 5am start, 10 hours at the wheel and 600 miles.

#15 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford
Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:45 PM

Renwick in the Lake District to Eastbourne (circa 400 miles)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users