31 replies to this topic

#16 Big Bob

Big Bob

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Ford Model: 04 Fusion 3 1.4 Durashift

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:03 PM

We went to West coast of France then the Med coast and back home to Cheshire in the Focus, about 4 years ago. Med to Calais (about 800 miles) on the way back in one day, before the bridge opened at Millau.

Three years ago with my son, we rode to Alicante and back, 5,000 mile round trip, me on a 1988 FJ1200 Yam, son on a 1998 1200 Bandit. Probably max 600 miles in one day, an experience to remember.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Russ

Russ

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.4i zetec

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:10 PM

Furthest i`ve driven has been from Edinburgh to Silverstone after a nightshift!
The furthest i`ve so far heard was a polish apprentice at our work who drove back to Poland from Edinburgh and took 43 hours non stop except to change drivers and refill with petrol !!!!

#18 MichellefromEssex

MichellefromEssex

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Ford Model: Zetec S Mountune
Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:20 PM

Ive driven down to the South of France - 17 hours with a couple of hours break.

Also driven to Cardiff from Essex (204 miles) to visit a dying relative and then back home again the same evening.

In my Mo, the furthest ive done is Bas - Ashford International.

#19 Air Hostess

Air Hostess

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Ford Model: 2008 Fiesta Zetec Climate 1.4i

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:22 AM

Longest journey was from essex through Europe

Uk to dover
ferry to France
France to Switzerland
,,,,,(This was done in one drive apart from the ferry lol ) not sure of the milage though

Switzerland to Austria
Austria to Gremany
Germany to Lichenstein
Lichenstein to Belgium
Belgium to France
France to dover to home

total distance covered was 2,200 miles over 2 weeks holiday

but one week i stayed in Interlaken (Switzerland) and the car hardy moved,but the best part was I had done all that milage over all different roads I drove of the boat in dover ..........and got a puncture..... had to change the wheel in the H.M Customs bay ,they didnt have to check the car all my stuff was out on the floor so i could get the spare out of the boot they thought it was funny I thought all i want to do is get home and have a hot bath

#20 MichellefromEssex

MichellefromEssex

• PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Ford Model: Zetec S Mountune
Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

Uk to dover
ferry to France
France to Switzerland
,,,,,(This was done in one drive apart from the ferry lol ) not sure of the milage though

Switzerland to Austria
Austria to Gremany
Germany to Lichenstein
Lichenstein to Belgium
Belgium to France
France to dover to home

but one week i stayed in Interlaken (Switzerland) and the car hardy moved,but the best part was I had done all that milage over all different roads I drove of the boat in dover ..........and got a puncture..... had to change the wheel in the H.M Customs bay ,they didnt have to check the car all my stuff was out on the floor so i could get the spare out of the boot they thought it was funny I thought all i want to do is get home and have a hot bath

Poor you, I bet that was embarrasing! I have been to Interlaken, years ago, fantastic beautiful clean place - would love to go back to Switzerland with the kids one day x

#21 Jonny87

Jonny87

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

Uk to dover
ferry to France
France to Switzerland

Switzerland to Austria
Austria to Gremany
Germany to Lichenstein
Lichenstein to Belgium
Belgium to France
France to dover to home

Wow thats amazing! I think I want to give that a go! How many people were you driving?

#22 Air Hostess

Air Hostess

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Ford Model: 2008 Fiesta Zetec Climate 1.4i

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

Wow thats amazing! I think I want to give that a go! How many people were you driving?

There was four in the car including me, plus luggage (not in a fiesta at that time, not enough room) but the car was only insured for ME to drive but it was good fun,and Michelle yes, Interlaken is beautiful, at the bottom of the Jungfrau, lauterbraunen and the trimmelbach falls and you can see the Eiger as well, really creepy that mountain,and as you said spot less clean place maybe go back again one day.

#23 johnnymac16

johnnymac16

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium X

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

Longest was last summer, London to south of spain, ended up with 4500miles on the clock and many visits to petrol stations when petrol was at an all time high and the euro at all time low... but totally worth it, drove to dover an ferry to calais, and down through france, paris, barcelona and all the way south. stayed down for 3 week holiday and then drove back.. took us 3 days to drive there and 3 days back, stayed in hotels on way down an way back and totally loved it, planning to do same this year at end of summer!

#24 Jonny87

Jonny87

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:58 PM

Longest was last summer, London to south of spain, ended up with 4500miles on the clock and many visits to petrol stations when petrol was at an all time high and the euro at all time low... but totally worth it, drove to dover an ferry to calais, and down through france, paris, barcelona and all the way south. stayed down for 3 week holiday and then drove back.. took us 3 days to drive there and 3 days back, stayed in hotels on way down an way back and totally loved it, planning to do same this year at end of summer!

This is probably a stupid question (I have never driven outside of the UK and Eire) but what is it like driving on the right? Does it totally do your head in the entire time? or do you sometimes forget and start driving on the left... and roundabouts going the wrong way, and sitting on the wrong side of the car etc etc? To be honest this is the only bit that really bothers me about crossing the channel, and im wondering if anyone has any issues with it, or any tips?

#25 fiesta_lad

fiesta_lad

Area Rep: Northwest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta mk5
Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:42 PM

my longest journey was liverpool to newcastle 165 miles there and back in a 18 year old clio lol flew there and back no problems.

#26 Steve

Steve

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,938 posts
  • Ford Model: Kugy
Contributor

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:30 AM

mine soon will be 8500 miles to Mongolia in july. gonna need a bigger thermos flask for that one

other than that i regularly drive from bournemouth to sunderland and back in a day, 700 miles.

#27 johnnymac16

johnnymac16

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium X

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:32 AM

This is probably a stupid question (I have never driven outside of the UK and Eire) but what is it like driving on the right? Does it totally do your head in the entire time? or do you sometimes forget and start driving on the left... and roundabouts going the wrong way, and sitting on the wrong side of the car etc etc? To be honest this is the only it that really bothers me about crossing the channel, and im wondering if anyone has any issues with it, or any tips?

not a stupid question, i had waited since i started driving to drive on the continent. the min i turned 21 we booked our ferry and we was of, i was nervous, but when i got over there i completly forgot, the only thing that worried me was roundabouts but it was fine in the end, as i just forgot about the other side of the road... i loved every min of it.. going around paris was very busy but avoid italian drivers, or use the finger sign hahaha as i did hehe

just take regular breaks as the drive can take it out of u, but they have some great roads in france an over the pyreenees is great views... if u go down try the millau viaduct route as its a huge viaduct to drive over and the view from top and underneath it is amazing!

#28 Jonny87

Jonny87

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

not a stupid question, i had waited since i started driving to drive on the continent. the min i turned 21 we booked our ferry and we was of, i was nervous, but when i got over there i completly forgot, the only thing that worried me was roundabouts but it was fine in the end, as i just forgot about the other side of the road... i loved every min of it.. going around paris was very busy but avoid italian drivers, or use the finger sign hahaha as i did hehe

just take regular breaks as the drive can take it out of u, but they have some great roads in france an over the pyreenees is great views... if u go down try the millau viaduct route as its a huge viaduct to drive over and the view from top and underneath it is amazing!

Thanks for the reply Johnny. Im quite looking forward to doing a bit of continental driving now, hopefully by end of the year. The thing that amazes me is that once you've crossed the channel, you can drive anywhere!

#29 Babybel

Babybel

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Ka :)

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:52 PM

Mine has only been Chester to Wrexham... not that far at all lol.
Only been driving for a month though... I would like to do a big long drive soon though. Maybe to London or something :)

#30 hedgepig

hedgepig

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.0 125 Titanium X
  • Year: 2013

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:05 PM

Mine has only been Chester to Wrexham... not that far at all lol.
Only been driving for a month though... I would like to do a big long drive soon though. Maybe to London or something :)

We like Chester especially the zoo--I think Janet's got some relatives there!!! :lol: :lol:

The longest run we've done in Noddy (Janet's Sportka) is down to Bodelwyddan for a long weekend.

For a comparatively small car, they are very comfortable so you'll get loads of mileage out of yours. ;)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users