Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlights Not Adjusting?

Gray13

I have a Ford Focus Titanium 2008 model which for the past few weeks has had quite a big issue with it, it may be down to my own "fixes" but i just need to see what options are available before i call a garage over the issue.

One of my dipped headlights popped so i bought a new set, i fit the bulbs are everything seemed to work. Unfortunately when i checked them at night, the light generated from the bulbs was downwards and the view outside was virtually none existant (If there was no street lights).

I looked at the placement of the lights and they seem to be okay - But when i use the manual adjustment dial inside the driver cabin it makes absolutely no difference. If i'm outside and use the dial i can hear the motors of the adjustment working, but visibly there is no difference (I'm parking the car up against a wall and testing the height).

I have now gone and tried to manually change the alignment of the headlights (The yellow caps) using an allen key, but once again nothing is happening and no adjustment is shown.

I've trawled around but i can't see anything which indicates how to rectify this issue, what could possibly be done or would it may need to be a garage job? (For someone not entirely mechanically minded).

The adjusters have plastic screws that have ball joints on the ends.

They can come out or snap off.

Take the lights out and check the adjusters are ok.

They twist 90 degrees to unlock from the light housing then the ball joints unhook from the lens frames.

are the bulbs fitted the right way around?

This.

Had exactly the same problem when I managed to put the bulb back in upside down.

• Like 1

Oh i didn't think there was a "wrong" way to install the headlight bulbs, i thought it was just a case of placing them in the slot. I will have a look at that then and see. One of the bulbs does seem to be pointing more downwards when looking out onto the road, so i'll try turning that one around first to see if it improves it.

• Like 1

This.

Had exactly the same problem when I managed to put the bulb back in upside down.

+1 me too,

I thought the guy in the garage was having a laugh but no,

I did put one in upside down two years ago when fitting nightbreajer plus bulbs.

Hi there. I checked and you were right, bulb was upside down! Lights are much better now. I was sure i had them the right way up at the beginning so i didn't even think about looking at those.

Splendid work!