Do Not Sell My Personal Information

K&n Air Filter

tomo91

Hi all just wandering if anyone has had any experiences fitting one to there car? And if it's actually worth me doing it to a 1.6 petrol ZS, just wandering if I'd see any benefits, thanks for any help.

Hi all just wandering if anyone has had any experiences fitting one to there car? And if it's actually worth me doing it to a 1.6 petrol ZS, just wandering if I'd see any benefits, thanks for any help.

Do you mean a K&N filter that replaces the stock filter, (retaining the stock airbox) or a K&N cone filter?

If you stick a cone filter on and it draws hot air from under the bonnet - you will loose power but it can produce a lot of "induction roar" giving the illusion of power

Its quite a complicated subject, but in general, changing the filter element makes very little difference on most cars, a paper (stock) filter element filters the fine (dust/ dirt) particles beter than a K&N (oiled cotton) filter, but the paper filter gets progressively clogged as time goes on, they are made to have a large surface area to help prevent this but regular fresh filter changes will keep it at its peak (i do mine every 6k/6months) - an oiled cotton filter does not filter well when it is new (and lets in fine particles of dust/ dirt) only after it has had a chance to build up a layer of dirt does it filter better (but still not as well as a paper one)

Often, owners notice an improvement in performance/ throttle response etc, but this may be because they have removed an old, clogged filter, to be replaced by a new one (whatever type it was) the filters must be compared like-for-like, eg new-for-new

On some cars replacing the filter with a "performance" one, there is a small increase in hp at high revs (1-2hp), on others there is no power gain but an improvement in throttle response, on some turbo cars there is sometimes better pull low down and less lag but no overall power gain - on some cars there is no difference at all (on these you are definately better with a stock paper filter because a K&N will just let in more dust with no benifit)

On many modern cars the filter is not the most restrictive part of the intake, so changing the filter for a different type or even completely removing it makes no extra power, at all, the filter may have a massive surface area (in some cases larger than a manhole cover) the air may be moving very slowly through the filter at this point, and the intake design may have small ports, that are more restrictive than the filter

On top of that, high performance or higher capacity/ more powerful versions of the same car may use the same filter/ airbox, so the bottom line is if you already have a 400+Hp ST and want to get a bit more power, go ahead and fit the latest Mountune intake parts, on balance, you are probably better sticking with the stock filter and change it regular on a stock 1.6 (at least you won't need to inform your insurance)

i put a standard filter back in after having the k&n panel filter, made no difference, slightly better acceleration but that probably due to a oil change and replacing a dirty filter

little noticeable difference however if youre changing stock filters continually it adds up cost wise a k and n doesnt need replaced just cleaned so it saves money it makes a few bhp difference over stock ive had a kand n on every car ive had and wont change back to poor stock paper ones which get damp and restrict air intake