Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stiff Gearbox+Gear Changes

Stewie316

I've had this issue for awhile even though i'm not sure it's really an issue. My gearbox has always been clunky when changing gears or slow releasing the gear. I had a service last month (Major 3rd year) and the gearbox came back really stiff when changing gears. Tightenedup? But sometimes when i press the clutch down and come out of gear it doesn't feel like it's fully disengaged. Same issue was happening before they adjusted it. Sometimes i would even get a grinding noise when changing gears. Like i didn't already have the clutch to the flor.

I find it worse when it's cold and when the tank is close to empty. When i fill up and off i go first time it is weridly loose and adjusts gears fine. Oddly enough (Esso 95 octane.)

I drove a 1.5 diesel fiesta and the gearbox was really smooth and loose. Felt really nice.

I wouldn't think the cluch would be going because i don't see it slipping at all. Just not a smooth gearbox/awkward at times changing gears.

When you meaning its making a noise when changing gear is it like a rubbery sound? I had the same issue where it would struggle to pull out of gear especially third. I greased the cables both inside the car and outside and the issues dissappeared

No rubbery sound, it's like something is keeping ahold of the gear and not letting go fast enough. When going from first to second even with the clutch to the floor it will grind going into gear almost like i haven't pressed the clutch hard enough. pump the clutch again and it goes in fine. (Rare occurance) but it doesn't slip into gears nicely. Not very nice when your at a roundabout.

Another thing is when the rev's are around 4000 it's better but if you're switchng say 2800 - 3100 or lower doesn't play nice. I might have to try a gearbox oil change and ask them to lubricate the links. Maybe the gears are too tight now? Just don't want to splash cash if it doesn't make any difference.

Best thing to do is find yourself a clear straight road and carefully watching the revs change from 3rd to 4th without using clutch if timed properly it should just slip in if not its most likely a gearbox fault. If it changes smoothly this way chances are its a clutch issue

The amount of times I've crunched reverse gear in is a joke . And mine is hard to put into first sometimes

Crunching in reverse is normal pop it into third before u select reverse and it wont crunch

What works for me is holding the reverse gear pushing it enough for it to pop in place as i let go of the clutch to the biting point. I think we 10/11 models just have an ugly gearbox/clutch. The good thing about driving other courtesy cars is it gives me chance to compare. The 60 plate style did the exact same with reverse and made that "Rubbery" sound when moving into first gear. (Glad) that didn't come with mine.

But the 13 plate 1.5 diesel (new shape) gearbox was as smooth as ever. Maybe it's telling me to upgrade even though i love what i have.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club