Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch And Cruise Control - Are They Linked? Ford Mk4 Mondeo

Anska

Hiya, I've just had the clutch and DMF replaced on my Diesel Mk4 Mondeo, Zetec TDCi 140, plate (10) at 35,000miles.

Since then, I'm having problems with the cruise control. Are they linked? Garage are dubious they are at fault.

Initially, going to work first time after picking up from garage, CC wouldn't come on at all but then starting working after about 4 junctions.

After work, CC wouldn't work again but came on after one junction. Gears were stiff.

Next day, couldn't get car into reverse but garage came out and just adjusted the clutch pedal (hydraulics situation quickly fixed) and gears now smooth as silk.

BUT...

Since then, CC comes on fine, works fine most of the time but sometimes, pressing SET - (minus) intermittently turns off the CC. No problems with SET+ (plus) at present.

Anyone else had this? Is this linked in some way?

Any help would be very gratefully received (starting to hate my car now!) Thanks

Have you taken it up with the garage as they have introduced the fault they are responsible for rectifying it i would get back to them to sort it out as working fine before

After reading about all these dmf issues I am less than excited about the delivery of my new mondeo

There is a microswitch on the clutch pedal that tells the ECU that the clutch pedal is pressed, the CC disengages when you press it, this may have something to do with the CC or the problems you have encountered with the CC may be unrelated to the CC

A car could go for 100,000s of miles with no problems or fail/ not start all the time and cost a fortune in parts or repairs - its just a machine that follows the laws of physics, being 100% reliable is highly unlikely

People often apportion human emotions to their cars - they "trust" a car / expect it to be reliable, then when it fails they stop "trusting" it - both are illogical

Almost all modern diesels now have DMFs, and DPFs, EGR valves, etc etc

• Like 2

I would be excited about new one as they are reliable cars nice drive good space don't let dmf problems out you off as most of them will do 100.000 miles without fault there will always be couple of cars from any line like this

• Like 1

Very true guys, I guess it's just the fear if the unknown. My current car is an Audi but the mondeo should have a fantastic spec so I guess I am looking forward to getting it in that respect

• Like 1

I'm right with you, Italiot and yes, taken it up with the garage but they say there is no obvious causal link. However, it just seems too coincidental to me. I had absolutely no probs before.

I love the post from FOCA. I unrealistically have those thoughts about cars. It would be nice to always have such clarity of mind. Thanks for the details about the ECU and microswitch.

Enjoy the new car Adam :)

• Like 1

Thank you I will, when it actually gets built and delivered hahaha. Hope you get your issues sorted out.

I wouldn't give up getting the garage to rectify problem if they carry on ring trading standards you pay enough for the repairs so the job should done correctly don't give up on it

My current car is an Audi but the mondeo should have a fantastic spec so I guess I am looking forward to getting it in that respect
An Audi, eh? Oh well, at least moving to a Mondeo will have the added bonus that everybody else on the road will stop automatically hating you for simply existing. So, that's a plus. :)

Hahaha every cloud has a silver lining

Well, the garage ran a computer diagnostics which threw up a few errors - apparently this is normal and they suspected that many of them were probably old ones.

So they cleared them all and I went off for a 60 mile test drive. The CC was excellently behaved. I took it back for another diagnostics this morning and no errors (bar one about instruments that they assure me is nothing to worry about).

So, crossed fingers, it's fixed...I'll have to wait and see...!

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Cars repairs can be such a stress and expense and your comments were very comforting.

I took it back for another diagnostics this morning and no errors (bar one about instruments that they assure me is nothing to worry about).
I expect it was probably error code P1000, which is nothing to worry about - it'll clear itself.
  • Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club