Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus M2 Diesel

zeglover

Hi first time I have posted on here, but I have a 05 ford focus mk2 2.0 diesel.

Some times if have an issue when pulling off or changing in to second gear, the car feels like it is about to stall if I move the clutch up it won't rev past about 1500rpm. Dip the clutch bit of gas then all is well.

Done a bit of research and read that it points to a faulty erg valve, does this sound right?

If it is will blanking the valve fix this, I was thinking of doing this anyway.

May also be relevant but there is some times when I start the car after standing over night there is a lot of white smoke and clears within 100m of pulling away

Thanks for the help stu

White smoke is just most likely the condensation in the exhaust being blown out.

As for the driving, I dont know if its the EGR. I wouldnt have thought that it would affect it as you are seeing.

Thanks jeebowhite putting my mind at ease about the smoke. Do you know what will cause the intermittent loss if power when pulling away? I have done the dash trick no error codes and no engine light.

It could be a dirty fuel filter.

What is the service history of the car?

Was last done in July. Was planning on doing an oil change soon I will add a fuel filter to the list. Are they difficult to prime? Any tips?

Priming can be a sod, so you would need a low pressure priming bulb, and ensure that the fuel filter is topped up with fuel before putting it back in and manually priming with the hand pump.

The fact that the car wont behave under load suggests you have more than just this to worry about. I would be honest and say its difficult to diagnose, it could be a problem with the EGR valve, likewise, it could be a much more deep rooted issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for you help jeebo changed fuel air and oil filter on the car. I also read elsewhere that the MAF can cause the stalling issue. So I cleaned that with electrical cleaner. It has been a week since and no acceleration problems when pulling away and hardly any smoke when starting up. Which is good one point though when I removed the old filter it stank of petrol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Ford OC mobile app

I would still suggest you blank off the EGR . I say EGR is a waste of time. Pain in the a**. Blank it off. It's better that way.

Does the plate go before or after the egr valve as look at the engine does it go flat across the top or vertical before the egr valve

Someone did a guide I think. I suggest you go to the guide section and there is a step by step on how to do it.

I had a similar issue to this and it did turn out to be the egr valve. Mine also did not show any error codes...so had it replaced in the end. egr's seem to have a life span of under 100k. Mine went at 88k

Lenny did a guide, go to the Ford Guides section, then Focus, then have a root around for EGR blank written by Lenny.,

Thanks for you help jeebo changed fuel air and oil filter on the car. I also read elsewhere that the MAF can cause the stalling issue. So I cleaned that with electrical cleaner. It has been a week since and no acceleration problems when pulling away and hardly any smoke when starting up. Which is good one point though when I removed the old filter it stank of petrol.

Filter stinking of petrol on a diesel car - that would worry me a bit!

Can't have been me I always fill up to brim so would have been a near full tank of petrol if it was me.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club