Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Tdci Limp Mode

Ciano35

Hi there I hope someone can help me,

My 2003 focus 1.8 tdci 115 is going into limp mode at high revs when using the turbo. Sometimes it would feel like there is no power at all throughout the rev range, especially in low down gears, and other times it would have good enough power and go into limp mode at around 3400 revs.

Now the veins and actuator seem to be fine, I just got the turbo cartridge reconditioned and cleaned out all the crap out of the veins. We checked that the actuator and veins were working by having one person start the car while the other looks at the actuator, and the arm goes down as normal, although it looks like it gets a little bit stuck on the way down but only for half a second.

Tried disconnecting the maf, no difference.

Hoses have no splits and have all new jubilee clips and are connected properly.

There are never any warning lights, except for an abs light that comes on sometimes but obviously that must not be related?

I have no idea what's wrong wall.gif

What else should I check?

TL;DR car going into limp mode, what else should I check when turbo actuator and maf sensor seem to be fine?

Dont think obd2 readers work on diesels pre 2004?

Ive never read or seen a focus stop at 3400rpm,its always 3k or 2800.if its at one of those two it could be many things,including glow plugs as ive found out with mine.

Dont think obd2 readers work on diesels pre 2004?

Ive never read or seen a focus stop at 3400rpm,its always 3k or 2800.if its at one of those two it could be many things,including glow plugs as ive found out with mine.

Thanks for your reply Ben! I didn't say anything about an obd2 reader? :P did you read my thread on passionford perhaps? But yeah if it won't work on mine then that sucks...

As it happens actually the car can be hard to start on cold mornings, so it looks like glow plugs are the problem then? I never knew glow plugs would send the car into limp mode!

It's just a guess,but yeah apparently glow plugs send the mk2 at least into limp mode.not sure if relays blown would also cause something similar,our work van had a relay blow and it sent the thing haywire,braking by itself with about 6 dash lights flashing.

At first my system fault and limp mode was intermittent but now it's permanent.its booked for Tuesday so if u havnt fixed yours by then I'll let you know what it was.

Another thing I've heard is soldering on the clusters causing limp mode,but apparently that's only on the mk2 and 2.5

Thanks for that ill test the glow plugs tomorrow if I have time. Glow plug are not dear so I may just replace them anyway. Thanks let me know how you get on.

OBDII is accepted on 2004 as a standard, it was also on petrol cars from 2001 onwards and was phased into diesel cars before 2004, but not all cars have been given this functionality.

Dont be dissuaded though, Ford should be able to confirm by the REG / VIN if the car was equipped with OBDI or OBDII protocol.

For more information, take a look at my signature at the link "Got an error on your car?"

Thanks for that ill test the glow plugs tomorrow if I have time. Glow plug are not dear so I may just replace them anyway. Thanks let me know how you get on.

Changed glow plugs,runs fine now.

• 3 weeks later...

Another update. The code reader didn't work, damn! I haven't driven the car much since, but I noticed that I don't think it actually goes into full on limp mode, because the revs do climb, but slowly. I also noticed that the problems mostly happens when I slow down at a junction, and then when I pull away the power will be very low. However, if I take it easy for about 10 seconds, the power will return. Also, there is never full power above ~3400 rpm.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club