Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quick Insurance Question

stef123

Hi guys,

Just a quick question here for my bike insurance..

Last year I was hit by a women driver (sorry i just had to get that bit in there) on a roundabout. Rear end shunt, case closed and other party found to be at fault.

Now, looking at renewing my bike insurance its asking if I have had any motor vehicle accidents or claims in the last 5 years...do I still need to declare my car claim then? Its not affected my no claims bonus but it has certainly hiked up my car insurance already!

cheers

stef

It does ask for ANY motor vehicle accidents...so, yeah - always play it safe. If they don't want to know, they'll ignore it

(But this is insurance companies we're talking about. If they could charge you extra based on what colour socks you were wearing, they would)

Sent from my SM-P600 using Ford OC mobile app

Unfortunately you do need to declare them, my old car was hit back in October, my insurance was up for renewal in December, but I bought an ST in November and my insurer said they couldn't cover me on that until I was 30! Needless to say I had to go eslewhere, and when declaring a non fault accident it bumped up the price a bit (around £50-£80 from what I recall). However because the claim wasn't and still isn't settled (my company are still waiting on payment from the 3rd party despite them admitting liability ages ago) it had to be put down as 'at fault' which meant a further £180 on my premium! The fact they ask for 5 years means any accident is going to have an impact on your premium for that long - it's expensive having someone drive into you!

• Like 1

Yep you do indeed. I had a right argument with 1 company as they doubled the price because I had an accident that wrote the car off - despite it being a drunk driver that t-boned me and flipped it over. But completely my fault obviously...

I was just a bit unsure, as far as I'm concerned my car insurance has nothing to do with my bike insurance..

anyway I have done a quote now and it seems that its not affecting my bike or not too much

cheers guys.

Insurance companies-legalised theft!

Yup, got us by the danglies every time. Always something hidden in the small print with them too!

Sadly, even if you are involved in a non fault accident, it can and likely will put your price up 15% and thats just for answering yes. Then when you declare the cost, it goes up further.

Its sad that even as the victim, you are still bent over!

Sadly, even if you are involved in a non fault accident, it can and likely will put your price up 15% and thats just for answering yes. Then when you declare the cost, it goes up further.

Its sad that even as the victim, you are still bent over!

car insurance has went up around 20% I reckon, I have no idea what the cost of the accident was though, interested to find out..

contact your insurer, they should tell you! although they didnt pay, they would have recieved a copy of the bill I expect, or can extract that for you!

contact your insurer, they should tell you! although they didnt pay, they would have recieved a copy of the bill I expect, or can extract that for you!

I might do mate, I will need to contact them soon anyway to cancel my renewal

Deffo. I had an accident where someone went into the back of me at low speed when I was parked up outside my local shop. I thought l was doing the right thing and reported it straight away to my insurer, but as it was a tiny dent in the plastic on my rear bumper I later just told the other party not to worry about it and never actually claimed. The next renewal I took out insurance and didn't declare it as I technically hadn't claimed. I got a phone call from the new insurer a few days later advising I had not declared an accident when quoted and they bumped up the premium by 200 quid! Basically it had been logged on the accident database when I reported it. I now make it my mission to tell everyone not to declare minor accidents straight away, you actually have 40 or 50 days to report an accident (I can't remember the exact figure). Basically insurers will use anything like this against you to load the premium.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club