Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Handbrake Adjustment

Gogs67

Hi to all

I own a 2006 '55' Focus Zetec Climate, 1.6 petrol :)

I'm finding that the handbrake is quite poor, in that it takes quite a bit of effort to get it to hold on even the slightest of inclines. I always leave the car in gear as a precaution, however even when applied to the very top of the handbrake lever's travel, it feels as though the car is only just holding, as the rear brakes can be heard to creak and groan :(

I'm putting this problem mainly to the fact that drum brakes are fitted on the rear; however I would appreciate it if someone in the know could explain how to adjust the handbrake.

Thanks in advance.

Gordon

Ideally the drums need to come off and adjustment made to the shoes but a quick fix is to remove the handbrake gator and theres a nut beside the handbrake lever. Turning this adjusts it. Dont go crazy, adjust slowly and keep testing or you wont get the handbrake off. In the long term it probably indicates the brakes need a good service and setting up properly so it might be best getting this done rather than short term fixes.

as SY says, out of curiosity does the car have a high mileage?

just noticed your from fife too :o :)

• 2 years later...

as SY says, out of curiosity does the car have a high mileage?

just noticed your from fife too :o :)

Hi. I am having the same problem with my 02 1.6 focus. I have replaced the shoes and adjusted as much as I dare but this has not helped the handbrake hold. I have even tried putting another pair of drums on but this to has not helped any??? Any help would be much appreciated...

Hi, try and re-adjust your hand brake this way.

1/ put car in gear

2/ take off handbrake suround slaken off handbrake by the nut under handbrake lever

3/ pump the foot brake to take up the play in the shoes

4/ adjust handbrake using the nut under the lever

all this is done from inside the car, it should make the handbrake work right.

I tried that one. It seemed to lock the wheel once but then went back to not holding it again...

Thanks...

Tried that method again but this time i slackened it off completely so there was no pressure on the handbrake at all. Pumped the pedal as stated, put the drum back on, adjusted the slack off the handrake lever and hey presto its holding again!!!!

Thanks very much, just gotta source some decent cheap drums now...

Next job, front hub replacement.....

• Sad 1

• 2 years later...

Hi all, my focus convertible handbrake not holding, it's pulled up 10 clicks but still not holding, the rear brakes are discs, it's a 58 plate face lift, did look at the haynes manual, but not very clear, can I adjust the nut under the centre armrest ??, hope some body can help, brian

when you did your shoes, did you make sure you handbrake adjust bar inside your drums was all the way back, before tightening them the shoes up?

Hi all, my focus convertible handbrake not holding, it's pulled up 10 clicks but still not holding, the rear brakes are discs, it's a 58 plate face lift, did look at the haynes manual, but not very clear, can I adjust the nut under the centre armrest ??, hope some body can help, brian

Ford prescribes a special procedure to adjust the parking brake on Focus MK2/MK2.5 versions with rear disc brakes.

Use the following procedure to adjust the parking brake:

• Step 1: Remove the parking brake boot .

• Step 2: Make sure the parking brake is in the full down position.

• Step 3: Remove the locknut and fully loosen the adjustment nut (do not remove the

adjustment nut)..

• Step 4: Make sure all parking brake cables are correctly positioned.

Adjustment procedure:

• Step 1: Insert a 0.7 mm feelergauge between the parking brake lever of each caliper and

the notch on the caliper body.

• Step 2: fasten the adjustment nut until movement is noticed at 1 of the parking brake

levers on the brake calipers .

• Step 3: Remove both feelergauges.

• Step 4: Rotate both rear discs. the brake pads should may touch the discs but the discs

should rotate freely. If not it may be nescessary to perform the adjustment procedure again.

When the parking brake is adjusted correctly the locking nut can be fastened and the

parking brake boot can be installed.

After following this procedure the parking brake cables have the correct pre-tension and the parking brakes have the correct adjustment.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club