Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Name: -
  • Ford Model: -
  • Year: Non

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

I had a mechanic sort my turbo out a few weeks back, and he mentioned that it sounded like one of the injectors was going bad.  I've suspected this myself for a while as things are pretty rattly.  I haven't done a leak-off test or anything to confirm this, but I'm wondering if I can get in a pre-emptive strike and arm myself with a bit of information about injectors, before the proverbial hits the fan.

If an injector fails (Injector <n> above knock threshold), what happens?  Limp mode?  Total breakdown?

I have an F-Super - is it possible to recode the existing injectors?  Is there any point?

If I need to replace, should I replace all four at once?  Or just the bad one?  I'm concerned about cost as I know the Delphi injectors are not cheap.

Finally, is it a job I can do by myself?  I know my way around a bag full of spanners.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 eliaskok

eliaskok

Ford Fan

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Name: Elias
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2008

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:03 PM

it's not a difficult job, you can do it by yourself all you need is the right tools. Also, you don't need to replace 4 of them just replace the one that is bad. You can try and clean it first and see how is going, but if not you will need to replace it.

What i have read but am not sure about that is that you will need to program the one you are going to replace for TDCI engines only, but am not sure. I replaced fuel injectors many times but i haven't program any of them, just simple replace and it works like a charm.

#3 BigD

BigD

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Name: -
  • Ford Model: -
  • Year: Non

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

OK.  Soooo.... what happens if an injector packs up?  Breakdown callout?

I think maybe I should do a leak-off.  £35+ for a proper kit tho??  Jeez....  :wacko:

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users