Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Focus, Removal Of Black Plastic Trim Under Bumper??

MattyD

I have done some colour coding work on parts of my car already but was thinking of maybe spraying the black plastic that runs allong the bottom of both the front and back bumpers. Has anyone done this already or know of how to remove these plastic bit from the bumpers? Ive not really looked at them properly yet as the weathers been so bad but thought ide ask on here first before i just go tinkering with them.

Thanks

Pretty sure they're just clipped in the whole way along, but not certain. I'm sure someone on here is bound to have removed them before so would be better placed to help.

If I had kept my car standard this would have been a must for me. I actually asked the garage who fitted my ST kit to keep the old standard parts for this very reason so I could provide them to someone who wanted to attempt colour coding, but I didn't get back to them for weeks afterwards and when I had they'd binned the bumpers as they were scrap anyway and taking up space and just kept me a box of the smaller parts (fogs, plates, grille etc).

Only heads up I'd give is that I see from your avatar you've already done your complete fog surrounds...some people would rather keep some sort of black in there to break things up a little. Personally, if it were me, I'd probably colour code the bumper valances, and maybe gloss black the lower part of the fog surrounds, but you could always decide on that after you get the valances done. Definitely go for it anyway mate, will make a great difference I reckon.

• Like 1

Thank guys, some usefull advice from gforce. Will take a look and start the work as soon as the weather picks up abit then ill decide whether to go back to black on the fog surrounds. Ill post some pics of the completed work aswell.

No worries. As I said, do your valances first and see how it looks completely colour coded. My guess is it'll look really well, but will just be up to yourself then if you fancy putting a bit of black back in to break things up or else leave as is. Look forward to seeing results! ;)

personally unless a body shop is doing it youll find those parts take the brunt of the rubbish from the road youll see the paint peel quickly or be grit blasted off my mate has his done and every few months hes respraying it and it was done at a body shop who advised they wouldnt paint it for the reason above he didnt listen though lol

get some proper plastic primer/paint/lacquer from a bodyshop and do the job properly and you'll be fine. waethers crap so your better off till summer when the paint can dry better unless your garage is heated or the missus allows you to paint inside!

Looking forward to the results myself gforce. Thanks for bringing that up artscot thats summat ill need to bear in mind. Ill just have to make sure I do plenty of coats with the laquer if I go ahead with it. Role on the decent weather so I can get it sorted. ;D

Im also going to look at doing the boot trim above the number plate and maybe the spoiler but I think im gunna look into getting my hands on an st spoiler first ;)

The door trims im going to leave I think and maybe try get hold of some already colour coded from another focus in the same colour. Ive heard removing the door trims is risky and dnt fancy spraying while still on the car :/

Salsheik, im looky enough to be allowed in the spare room when it comes to doing spraying and stuff ;) but ye will probs wait abit for some better weather!