Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replace Dmf Or Wait For Failure - Starter Just Gone

boxrick

I have a Ford Mondeo 55 Plate with 105k miles on the clock, since I purchased it everything seems to have gone wrong. A bad decision on my part however most of nastiness has been fixed.

Simply put recently it was having issues starting so I have had just got the starter motor replaced, the mechanic has said the DMF is on the way out and the starter motor was full of loads of metal filings. The new starter has a plastic housing protecting the bit which matters so he said it would not have further problems with the metal getting inside

*however* I can hear a slight squeaking coming from inside the engine and I suspect it is about to go or going to go at some point soon potentially causing more damage.

Do it just let this happen or should I be pre-emptive and get it replaced, the garage quoted me £500 when I asked about the cost of changing it, a full days labour. Any opinions would be appreciated!

I have a Ford Mondeo 55 Plate with 105k miles on the clock, since I purchased it everything seems to have gone wrong.
Jeez... are you me??! I could have written almost exactly that myself (only 90k though).

My DMF is fine just now. But when the time comes to replace it, I'll also get the clutch done at the same time as it's just as big a job so might as well kill both birds with one stone and save on the labour costs.

Shop around, though.

I recently had my clutch and dmf replaced I found the best prices at website whocanfixmycar.com all the garages bid for your job so very competive both mine were done for 700 at my house

If you've already had the starter foul up with filings you need to change your dmf asap. Those filings are from the rivets that hold the two parts of the dmf together. You really don't want the dmf to come apart at 4000rpm. Goodbye gearbox! I'm not sure about this plastic cover on the starter motor. I've never seen this and can't really imagine how this could work, as the pinion needs to slide in and out to engage the ring gear, so an opening is essential. It is indeed a day's work more or less. The price will vary a bit depending whether you've got a 5 or 6 speed box. The dmf is the same but the concentric cylinder is different and a lot dearer for the 6 speed than the 5.

They bid for the job,then come to your home and do the job,were do you sorry what country do you live in.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Ford OC mobile app

Uk I'm in London it's a very good way to find good mechanics at affordable prices

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club