almat23

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Stephen
  • Ford Model: focus Tdci
  • Year: 2008

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

I have just had the DPF fluid topped up at Ford and a forced regeneration carried out. No problems with that. However they state there is a further fault showing (and hence the engine malfunction light is still on) that states that the DPF fluid tank needs replacing at a cost of over £500!

As the car is running fine and I am not rich I am holding off getting this done. I tried to search for the part on the internet and can't find it at all. Anyone had this replaced before and know if it can sourced at a cheaper price?

Many thanks

Stephen.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,454 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

Never heard of the tank itself needing replacing, sounds more like the EOLYS sensor? but even then, I dont believe that is a fixed unit to the tank :

Did they clear the EML down? I wonder if somebody needed a topup to their benevolent fund this month....

#3 almat23

almat23

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

Does sound like a money making scheme to me. What's the EML? Still can't find a trace of the tank as a replacement part in itself. Apparently it's a sealed unit and they can't say what's wrong with it. Just "there's a fault"

#4 mockneyferguson

mockneyferguson

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Name: Danny
  • Ford Model: ST150
  • Year: 2006

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

Unfortunately you will ultimately have to pay. The early dpf systems had a fuel additive system which was taken across from the peugeot system with the powertrain. It is a little tank near the osr weel, ur struggle to see it on the floor. Ford specify it should be refilled every 3 years/37500 mls. And the dpf filter every 75k. In the real world, firstly ur dash will display 'engine malfunction' if u ignore this the mil light will come on. If the engine malfunction comes up u can reset it by opening and closing the fuel flap i think its 3 times in 10 seconds. But with the mil light on it will be dealer only. It costs approx £200 for 5 litres from ford. Sorry, hope this helps understanding

#5 south_bound

south_bound

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Name: V
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCi Ghia

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

Or just have the dpf removed and software remapped for £350-400 - additive tank becomes redundant and dpf never needs changing again.

#6 mockneyferguson

mockneyferguson

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Name: Danny
  • Ford Model: ST150
  • Year: 2006

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

Can do but the floor in this is a. Its illegal and b. Its an mot fail as of today

#7 south_bound

south_bound

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Name: V
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCi Ghia

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

Strange how things suddenly become illegal just when they tighten up the MOT checks!  I suppose if that bothers you then pay to get the additive tank changed.

#8 almat23

almat23

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

Unfortunately you will ultimately have to pay. The early dpf systems had a fuel additive system which was taken across from the peugeot system with the powertrain. It is a little tank near the osr weel, ur struggle to see it on the floor. Ford specify it should be refilled every 3 years/37500 mls. And the dpf filter every 75k. In the real world, firstly ur dash will display 'engine malfunction' if u ignore this the mil light will come on. If the engine malfunction comes up u can reset it by opening and closing the fuel flap i think its 3 times in 10 seconds. But with the mil light on it will be dealer only. It costs approx £200 for 5 litres from ford. Sorry, hope this helps understanding

Appreciate the advice, but have already paid £150 to have this done. The issue is that they now say the actual tank needs replacing not just the fluid or the filter (which apparently is still ok).

#9 Avon Tuning

Avon Tuning

Settling In Well

• Authorised Trader
  • 34 posts
  • Name: Gareth
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

Just to clarify, DPF Removal is not illegal, you can't be prosecuted for removing your DPF. However, last month VOSA introduced a visual inspection of the DPF during MOT. If the tester can see that the DPF has been removed then it is likely to fail, therefore most companies including us only remove the internal core leaving the outer casing in place.

I think you should get more clarification from Ford regarding what exactly is wrong with the tank. If the tank has a split in it and is leaking then this wouldn't actually bring on a MIL. If it helps, ask ford to supply you with a list of faults codes that are currently present on the system and post them on here so we can see exactly what the issue is.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users