Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Good Place To Get Top Up Paint?

Solaris

Today on my drive home some idiot bus driver cut me up and ended up grazing the front left of my car, he didn't stop and at the time I thought it sounded very minor and to be honest don't want my insurance premium to rise, so I didn't try to stop him/her. Anyway there is now a narrow dent a few inches long, I'm fine with it as I don't want to spend the money for a repair right now, but the problem is the paint has been grazed off completely, right down to the metal.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a good place to get some paint which i could use to repair the paint myself, to avoid rust. I could take a picture later but right now it's dark and raining heavy. My car is an MK7 titanium with a 58 reg and the colour is Metallic Sea Grey.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Halfords want £11.99 for a touchup kit same price as oem kit. Try eBay, buy it now for £8.99. Oem is perfect match as same colour as mine.

Thanks for the replies.

Halfords want £11.99 for a touchup kit same price as oem kit. Try ebay, buy it now for £8.99. Oem is perfect match as same colour as mine.

Have you tried the touchup kit yourself? I was looking at it on Halfords and was wondering how much you can actually do with it? It claims to be for small stone chips, would there be enough paint/filler to fix a dent/scatch a couple of inches long? Also is there any reputable sellers you buy from on eBay?

Thanks

I"d be calling the bus company and putting a claim in with them.

If it was Arriva I'm sure all their buses have CCTV, so if you can remember the time, road etc they should be able to narrow down which bus was on that route at that time on that day.

Don't pay for it yourself when it wasn't your fault.

In a perfect world where insurance policies were actually fair I might do that, but the damage is so minor, relatively, that I really don't feel it's worth the effort/stress and eventually money that making a claim with them will cost me.

A couple of years ago while a passenger in my fathers car at a roundabout a lady rammed into the back side of the car, obviously not looking where she was going. This was clearly her fault and there was no disputing this with the insurance companies. My father later got a letter from them with a cheque for £250 saying they will pick up his car as it was a write off. Really the damage was minor, just small dents and scratches, which he decided to fix himself and told the insurance company what they could do with their cheque.

Anyway the point of that story, the next time his insurance renewal came up, despite not actually going through with a claim and having a protected no claims bonus, he was charged an extra £100, and that was by the cheapest insurer on any comparison site. The reason was down to a "notification only". Basically simply notifying your insurance company of any sort of accident increases your insurance premium, which I'm sure would then carry on for a good few years, and even different insurers had knowledge of this notificaiton. I'd much rather just pay the £20 or so for some filler and spray and take the time to do the job myself.

I took a photo of the damage in case anyone was wondering...

IMG_20140129_235817.jpg

polish the area with good scratch remover and remove all the scratches you can and then use the touch up kit

polish the area with good scratch remover and remove all the scratches you can and then use the touch up kit

I've reserved this from Halfords...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_391939_langId_-1_categoryId_165580

I'm assuming it has everything I need, just hope there is enough filler there for the dent. I also reserved a can of the sea grey spray and a can of clear lacquer just in case.

You don't get any filler, just base coat (high build primer filler), top coat and clear lacquer. Its just 3 small bottles paint!

I've used the ford one (oem) and its a perfect match. If i was you i would just put some paint on to stop the rust and when i have some money get it done professionally.

How about getting a quote from someone like chips away or similar

I do body repair for a living and for that repair I would charge £200 plus the vat but I'm miles away from you I would want it over night too (eg Friday morning drop Saturday collection) if that gives you any idea of cost only going off what I see in the picture hope it helps also chase the bus company as I just repaired a Kia hit by an arriva bus and they paid out for it

Has it dislodged the bumper at all? The gap between that and the wing looks a bit big to me though it may just be the photo.

No the bumper seems fine, the scratches to the left of the bumper in the image are from a separate incident when someone must have grazed my car while it was parked. Anyway today I picked up the repair kit from Halfords along with some cheap filler, not sure if I'll use the filler but got it just in case. I'm not really looking to get it done professionally as I'm a bit short on money right now and my car is far from pristine now all through no fault of my own, so it would feel like a waste of money. As long as it's reasonable and protected from rust I'll be satisfied. Hopefully it's a dry weekend and I can give it a try.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone. I'll post a picture of my hopefully not too awful attempt once it's done.

You'll find the best result you'll get is using a mobile body repair person, I've done some slight damage to my ZS and going to use a mobile repair rather than bothering making any attempt at a claim, it's a lot cheaper and if you find the right people their work can be to a very high standard at a low cost.

I managed to make a start on this today. Filled the deep dent with filler and painted over the rest with the grey primer.

IMG_20140201_164613.jpg

Today I went over with the Sea Grey paint. Just need to go over again another day with the Clear Lacquer but I think this is about as good as it's gonna look. Not great but better than before and the main reason I did it was to prevent rust.

IMG_20140202_134353.jpg

Yeah I was thinking of doing something like that but don't wanna go overboard as I know I'll never have the skill to make it look perfect and would be worried about making a larger area look worse. I was thinking about picking up this car polisher from Halfords...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_188980_langId_-1_categoryId_165640#tab3

And then using some polish on that area to smooth everything out. Would that work?

Anyone recommend a better polisher in that price range? And what polish would you recommend to get the job done best?

Either way I think i'll leave it like this for a few weeks, till my next pay, then might get the polisher to try and improve the appearance, at least by then there might be some better weather to cope with, I've been extremely lucky the last couple of days here to avoid the rain.