Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Nearside Knocking - Can't Find The Cause!

mike_980

Hey guys i'm new here I hope you can help me!

I've had my mk3 mondeo lx with the 1.8 petrol engine for about two years now and so far only had an issue with one of the rear calipers other than that she's been a good old bus.

In summer sometime just before the MOT the nearside wheel bearing needed replacing so I replaced it and took it down for the MOT which is passed no problems. When i picked it up though i noticed it was knocking at the offside front. I didn't investigate much as I thought it would just be the topmount if i had given it abit too much trying to get the thing out of the hub when doing the bearing. Long story short I have replaced (with all brand new parts):

both topmounts

all 4 drop links/ARB links

The bearing (as above)

the entire driveshaft with both inner and outer CV joints

both front tyres

and still it knocks....

The knocking only appears to happen at low speeds of around 40mph and below and sounds very much like a CV joint or something stuck in the tyre, like a consistant tapping on the passenger footwell.

There is no play in the wheel at all in all directions so don't think it could be the bottom ball joint, the only thing I thought about was the ARB bushes themselves but can't see how they would make this type of consistant knock on a perfectly smooth road.

Checked the springs? I had three front ones snap in the eight years I had my Focus. They all snapped near the top so you couldn't tell just by looking under the wheel arch. Jack the wheels up to take the tension off, then give the spring a pull to see if you can get any movement, and make sure the ends of the spring are seated properly.

Checked the springs? I had three front ones snap in the eight years I had my Focus. They all snapped near the top so you couldn't tell just by looking under the wheel arch. Jack the wheels up to take the tension off, then give the spring a pull to see if you can get any movement, and make sure the ends of the spring are seated properly.

Thanks for the reply, i did check the spring when i replaced the topmount as had to take out the full strut and crack out the spring compressors. I had a good look to see how it was sitting before compressing and it looked and felt fine and was seated correctly. I also made sure it was sat correctly when refitting the new top mount.

The only thing i can think of it whether the noise is actually coming from the offside and the sound it travelling through the body to make it sound like the nearside but that's a long shot. I've had a second and third opinion and everyone tells me it sounds like the nearside.

Hmm... just noticed the age of your car. Do you still have the butterfly valves in the inlet manifold? Wondering if it could be that if it's a "consistent" tapping. Or does it only do it when the car's moving?

only when moving, i was so sure that the CV joints would solve it too! the strange thing is it doesn't seem to happen at 50mph+ it is most noticable in 30 and 40mph zones

I also thought about the exhaust but if i lay under the car and shake the exhaust up and down and side to side it doesnt hit anything and makes no noise at all - all seems perfect!

I have put the car in gear with the engine running with the front wheels off the ground and can detect no sign of the noise then, maybe i will try jacking the lower arm up to see if i can recreate the noise in the workshop :/

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club