Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Constant Rattling Noise 2005 Ford Fusion

shamdosanjh

My ford fusion 2005 has a constant rattling noise coming from the rear shock area I have read loads of articles

But still no conclusion

So far we have eliminated axel bushes, shocks and shock mounts it is worse when car is empty but when fully loaded you don't hear anything!!!

Any suggestions are welcome

Have eliminated heat shield under car and brake cable

is it not a bad spring, or a loose cable shaking against it?

We've eliminated that wen car was on the ramp.

I think my explanation of the problem is a bit vague. The car has done 141,000 warranted miles though the engine is fab I think shock absorbers are shot and need replacing. Wat I meant by rattling Noise was poor ride quality so I m considering change all of the shocks this week

Hi, the fact that it goes away when fully loaded suggests that the worn or lose part is being compressed and not able to move causing no rattling. When the car was on the ramps did you get a big pry bar and lever all the bushes for play? Rocked the rear wheels at 12/6 and 9/3 looking for play? If you suspect shocks look for leaks and do the highly technical ''bump'' test (open boot and start bumping car vertically and then let go and observe the number of bounces or ''oscillations''.... should be no more than 1.5 - 2).

Problem solved shocks were badly worn!!

The rears were leaking so I had them all changed and it drives and handles like a new car!! Like u pointed out we had done all the tests and my mechanic failed to diagnose the shocks as the problem?

Leaking shocks are generally very easy to spot :)

I would have thought things like dampers (or shocks) would have been the stuff they'd have wanted as its quite easy? Strange!