Do Not Sell My Personal Information

grating in the clutch when turning the wheels to the right!?

looneytune

Hi ppl, please help. I've had my 56 reg 1.6 focus sport with about 27k on clock for a couple of months and its already being weird.

I noticed a while ago that when i pull in somewhere and dip the clutch to let car roll and slow down as im going to park if i turn the wheel to the right, regardless of the gear its in it felt like something was catching. The odd thing- to me anyway, is that you feel the knocking in the clutch when the wheel is turned not the steering wheel? The brakes generally feel like they are dirty even after a 100mile trip, i have lots of probs getting it in gear and often have to double de-clutch and it doesnt like to start when its cold outside (like me i suppose).

I took it to a ford dealer near where i live to get it checked as its under waranty and they said they can feel it doing it but don't know what it is and they tried another thay had in for repair at the time (-surely this one must be broken aswell!!?) and that does it also, so it must be ok.

Lately its got ten times worse and i don't have a clue whats causing it. It now feels like broken bones grinding when i turn the wheel at all!

I'm trying to get a second opinion from another dealer seen as i don't fully trust the one i have so far but dont want to get ripped off seen as i'm not amazing with bits of cars!

Any ideas greatfully received,

cheers :)

Just because they say two cars do it does not make it ok, its under warranty and you are obviously unhappy with how your car behaves / sounds. Take it to another dealer, cars shouldn't grind, vibrate and make noises that are abnormal. Get it done while it is costing Ford, otherwise they will happily take your money once your warranty has expired and tell you that the problem is a known one to Ford, but you will have to pay out for their shoddy build quality.

If my car was in for a service or repair I would not be happy for it to be used as a test car to look for other customers faults, why didn't they check a brand new car?

Change to another dealer and insist they sort it under warranty - just because they don't know what the problem is, does not mean it doesn't exist!

Hi ppl, please help. I've had my 56 reg 1.6 focus sport with about 27k on clock for a couple of months and its already being weird.

I noticed a while ago that when i pull in somewhere and dip the clutch to let car roll and slow down as im going to park if i turn the wheel to the right, regardless of the gear its in it felt like something was catching. The odd thing- to me anyway, is that you feel the knocking in the clutch when the wheel is turned not the steering wheel? The brakes generally feel like they are dirty even after a 100mile trip, i have lots of probs getting it in gear and often have to double de-clutch and it doesnt like to start when its cold outside (like me i suppose).

I took it to a ford dealer near where i live to get it checked as its under waranty and they said they can feel it doing it but don't know what it is and they tried another thay had in for repair at the time (-surely this one must be broken aswell!!?) and that does it also, so it must be ok.

Lately its got ten times worse and i don't have a clue whats causing it. It now feels like broken bones grinding when i turn the wheel at all!

I'm trying to get a second opinion from another dealer seen as i don't fully trust the one i have so far but dont want to get ripped off seen as i'm not amazing with bits of cars!

Any ideas greatfully received,

cheers :)

That dealer sounds like a shower of cowboys. What garage would think a grinding noise is OK because two separate cars do it?! It boggles the mind that anybody would think that, let alone a Ford dealer.

You said the brakes always feel "dirty" - You really should check the pads and discs as it sounds to me like they're completely knackered.

Regarding the grinding noise when you turn the wheel - that's exactly the symptom I had when a suspension coil snapped in two - I've had them both go at separate times, so have a look at that as well. I could move part of the spring with my hand, and you shouldn't be able to. If that's the case then the top of the spring will be grinding into the car body and tearing it apart. It will do this whether the car is moving or not as you turn the wheel.

Oh - one more thing. Good luck getting Ford to honour their warranty. From personal experience it'd be easier to knit fog.

Thanx.

I took it to a different dealer (20miles away!) and it didnt do it once i got there, could have strangled it!! But they bled the clutch for me and oiled the springs. Since then it hasn't done it at all so fingers crossed.

I asked them about the clutch (it doesnt like going in to gear and often jumps out of 1st and reverse) and it sounded like they would do it on warranty as its only got 27k on it, is this possible? should i push them for it?

You should be firm and insist they cover it if it is still under warranty, if it isn't still insist that a car that young and mileage shouldn't be jumping out of gear etc, they still might pay a percentage towards the cost. If you don't ask you won't get!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club