Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cluster Repair

Ben123

Hi just ask a question about repair of cluster I read all the threads about it I have the usual problems I think with solder joints on back of 32pin plug so have tried to heat up solder joints with standard soldering iron but the don't seen to heat up pins enuf iron is very hot as melts normal solder I. Don't see it heating up joints do I need a special high heat soldering iron maybe people who have repaired one can tell me thanks

I repaired a lot of Focus MK2/MK2.5 instrument clusters using a normal (cheap) soldering iron. In my opinion there is no need to use a special high temperature soldering iron. You have to make sure the tip of the soldering iron is clean to have a good heat transition between the soldering iron and the soldering connections.

There may be a transparant coating against corrosion on the soldering connections which has to be removed before soldering. I have seen this before on some MK2/MK2.5 circuit boards. I Always remove the coating with a solvent or alcohol and a small brush before soldering. I never tried to resolder the connections without removing the coating

Thanks what I was trying to do was just ltrying to melt its own solder but when I touch the top of it did not seem to be melting it even though the iron is very hot will give it another go thanks

Also one tactic I learned with melting solder, is to make sure that you have a drop of new solder on the old solder joint. The new solder melts easier and bonds with the old solder allowing the solder bond to break and the solder to all become free.

Hi yes I have it all back now all seems ok so far so hope it lasts thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club