Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My New Mobius Dashcam

mixmasterlooney

yeah, much better than tapping into wires etc, I got mine from this seller on eBay. Got one from him that I used when fitting my DRL's.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADD-A-CIRCUIT-FUSE-TAP-PIGGYBACK-EXTRAFUSE-MINI-BLADE-TYPE-/251170199430?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7ae91786

• Like 2

Haha blatant running of a red light by that accord on the night vid!

Hahaha I just saw this today, and I literally only saw the guy jumping the red light in that video. I had to rewind it a couple times to make sure my eyes were not deceiving me. LOLOLOL.

Ah kurt this is perfect, I been looking for a dash cam but wasn't planning to spend the earth on one. This would go perfect with the parking sensor screen and with all the nutters around Croydon and London in general, be great to catch them.

• Like 2

oh bums I just realised while posting that link I ordered the wrong piggy back fuse I ordered standard size not mini size!

• Like 1

yeah, much better than tapping into wires etc, I got mine from this seller on ebay. Got one from him that I used when fitting my DRL's.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADD-A-CIRCUIT-FUSE-TAP-PIGGYBACK-EXTRAFUSE-MINI-BLADE-TYPE-/251170199430?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7ae91786

Excellent idea, this is the perfect way to go about it. My DRL came pre-wired with an exact kit like this.

This wont require any cutting at all, just a matter of attaching the earth to something, nice one james.

Hahaha I just saw this today, and I literally only saw the guy jumping the red light in that video. I had to rewind it a couple times to make sure my eyes were not deceiving me. LOLOLOL.

Ah kurt this is perfect, I been looking for a dash cam but wasn't planning to spend the earth on one. This would go perfect with the parking sensor screen and with all the nutters around Croydon and London in general, be great to catch them.

With one of the left angle usb cables like james posted it will fit perfectly behind the rearview mirror or in your case parking sensor screen. I agree on the nutters in croydon and london in general!

Like the corsa driver, no respect for other road users.

The camera can keep recording if leaving your car parked somewhere that worries you a bit, pressing the on button will switch the camera to recording mode 2 using battery, primary record mode can be 1080p and secondary recording can be 720p, less power consumption and space usage whilst on battery

• Like 1

oh bums I just realised while posting that link I ordered the wrong piggy back fuse I ordered standard size not mini size!

mini size fuse or mini size usb?

• Like 1

Thankfully I have an underground garage with CCTV, so not so much worried about that. But for driving around would be most useful tbh.

Will put in my eBay basket :D

• Like 2

i ordered a standard blade size piggy back fuse, but the fuses on the focus are mini blade fuses, oh well only another £2 the wrong one can go in my box of bits. I already have both the left and right angled power/inverter cables on order as I cant decide which way I will want the cable to go, if all goes well with this cam I might get another and point it backwards and I could then use the other cable for that. Kind of hoping they make a new version of this cam with gps positioning and g-sensor - that would be cool.

• Like 2

thats what i wanted to ask

how much space (mb) is the camera using on full quality per minute?

• Like 2

I don't think they will make such a cam with g sensor and gps, it would dranatically increased the size and price plus additional software, the original model of this cam was a spycam but with tweaks its a dashcam hence the price of course though video quality wise it stands out.

Techmoan worked out 10 mins of vid at high full hd is 1.38gb, got 1.28gb for 10 mins. I have since made changes to reduce video file sizes and turned off "wide dynamic" this increases file size upto 40% more and I have changed the bitrat from high to standard. So far file size has reduced to about half with no obvious quality changes.

It does say under the help files those settings mentioned may or may not increase quality, so far though I think "standard" is just as good as high. Will test quality on low soon.

I'm going through varies video settings doing recordings in night and day condition to compare and determine the best.

On a 32gb card with all bangs and whistles turned on the cam records just over 4 hours of constant video at 1080p high bitrate and wide dynamics on. The highest possible settings.This may sound like very little but once you've seen the details at 1080p you can appreciate why so much space is used and you won't see that with you tube compression.

I estimate at 720p with standard settings and wide dynamic turned off its possible to record about 3 days of constant video.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 2

Looks a nice bit of kit :)

• Like 1

James (Higs) I took your brilliant idea onboard and did some digging of the wiring schematic and found the perfect circuit. inside of the fuse box or as ford calls it Passenger junction box (PJB) Circuit fuse 102 for the radio/cluster, comes directly from the ignition switch ACC runs on a 7.5A as the wiring diagram suggest, however the actual fuse is 10A not 7.5A.

h60x.jpg

The fuse is located in the middle of the PJB easiest fuse to access and has the number 102 next to it. perfect really, the wiring for the dascam can simply run down the back of the glove box and inside the PJB, pull out the fuse using the fuse puller tool located under the cover of the front junction box (Engine bay fuse box) plug in the piggyback kit, then plug back in the 10A fuse followed by a 5A fuse for the camera.

There is an earthing point inside of the interior light cover it actually has a screw IIRC if that fails there are multiple earthing points under the glove box

James (Jeeb) Wiring for your Cmax is the same this method will make hardwiring your dashcam simple, permanent yet removeable without a trace, no splicing or cutting of any wires needed.

I will try and get a photo of the PJB later on

• Like 2

sounds good kurt, I will use this fuse when I do mine - just need the bits now. got the piggy back fuse but no cam/mounts or cable lol.

I will prob go with an earthing point behind the fuse box other wise will need to be splitting the cable if using the roof earthing point, there is one for sure above the glove box that I can recall, but sure there are many others.

• Like 2

The book is saying 102 is for heating control, dpf, remote control receiver, DVD player and is a10a fuse.

According to the book the one we would prob need is 108, accessory to cluster (audio and navigation unit) 7.5a

Not had an actual look at it yet tho

• Like 2

What book is that? This info comes straight wiring diagram it can be wrong not sure. Still out n about though so not had a chance to look I will be ordering the bits tonight.

First chance I get will pull out 102 to test. Yeah James I think the earth point behind the glove box us better.

Did you find the right size piggyback kit?

• Like 1

Right yeah the book does say it's 108 I would go with what the book says instead. It looks good :D

• Like 1

yeah got the piggy back fuse today - it was the link I posted earlier in the thread "mini blade" type. It was just I ordered the wrong one to start off with - same seller sell both sizes - both £2 each.

Fuse 108 is the one, I'm getting an auto dimming rear view mirror from a Mk3 mondeo so I'm gonna connect that up to the same fuse and fit at the same time

• Like 1

Will order it once I'm on the pc. Having a slight auto start prob with my camera that seems to be power related. My 12v usb adaptor is flimsy and the usb is trying to go into pc mode with the camera not sure why maybe its the satnav. End result is that the camera goes into standby mode instead if auto start. I deffo need a dedicated power supply that us more reliable

• Like 1

Good idea Kurt, but wont that result in permenant live feed?

• Like 1

No jeebo coz we will tap into a fuse that only comes on with the ignition. Theory is we press the starter button and the cam starts recording, and when we press it again to turn the car off it stops

• Like 2

No jeebo coz we will tap into a fuse that only comes on with the ignition. Theory is we press the starter button and the cam starts recording, and when we press it again to turn the car off it stops

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan! will have to look and give it a go!

• Like 1

I'm sold, once you guys get it up and running with this piggyback fuse :D

• Like 1

I was looking for a reason to buy an extra 12v socket, so now I just have to find one at a bargain price and I will be going for it!

• Like 2

FYI fuse 108 is the one. Used it today when fitting an autodimming mirror from a mk3 mondeo . switches on when ingnition is on.

• Like 2