Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My New Mobius Dashcam

mixmasterlooney

With the ignition live guide I made you can always keep the camera running with engine on by leaving the ignition on. There is an option for a 10 seconds delay before shut down after power loss, this will allow you to switch off your engine and switch ignition back on without disturbing your camera power flow.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Ford OC mobile app

Yes Kurt has made a really good guide for the mobius to be installed via an ignition live. I am still awaiting my 12v to 5v lead to be delivered and then I will be hard wiring my mobius into the car the same way Kurt has.

The mobius settings can then be set to come on when the camera receives power (ie when the ignition is switched on) and then it will stop around 10 seconds or so after the car has been switched of.

by hard wiring it in this way the camera will always be charged and it is ideal for a fit and forget installation. I will post up some pics when I get my lead and get all installed. But the guide is very helpful.

• Like 1

Got my Mobius today 8 days from ordering, very impressed, plus a stick to the screen mount using the link provided by Kurt in his first post on this thread. But awaiting the 12v to 5v 3 meter cable [from another supplier] to hard wire it in [again using Kurts guide]

Attached the screen mount with duck tape temporaly just above the "airbag" screen sticker and took it out for a spin. Well with the heat sink side facing down wards to give you access to the buttons the video recorded and played back upside down. Now whilst I have since sorted that with the "mSetup" Zip I downloaded later. The video on that first run straight out of the box also played back darker than it actually was, it was about that time when the lights set to Auto are about to come on. So I would be interested to know what settings you have yours on Kurt and you Ben as we are all using the standard lensed Mobius.

Oh and on that first run, as I have the "auto rain sensor " extended housing directly behind the "auto dimming" rear view mirror. Positioned where it was the playback had the corner of the extended housing in view. So I will have to find another position for it I'm afraid.

To miss videoing the housing it would have to move further sideways to the passenger side, away from the back of the rear view mirror [don't like that idea] There is the option to attach the mount to the rear and bottom of the rain sensor housing plumb centre, but that drops the camera below the mirror. Whilst hardly noticeable from the outside looking in from the front, it is highly visiable from outside the car looking in from either the passenger or drivers side.

Another option may be to sticky back Velcro the camera housing to the rear of the auto dimming mirror, or to the rear of the rain sensing extended housing and use a 20cm camera lense extension cable to allow me to afix the lens to the underside of the auto rairn sensor housing. Rather not but it might be the only option if I want it to de discreet from all angles. [ oh the joys of having the Titanium spec].................Ideas welcome, feel free to join in.

• Like 1

Got my Mobius today 8 days from ordering, very impressed, plus a stick to the screen mount using the link provided by Kurt in his first post on this thread. But awaiting the 12v to 5v 3 meter cable [from another supplier] to hard wire it in [again using Kurts guide]

Attached the screen mount with duck tape temporaly just above the "airbag" screen sticker and took it out for a spin. Well with the heat sink side facing down wards to give you access to the buttons the video recorded and played back upside down. Now whilst I have since sorted that with the "mSetup" Zip I downloaded later. The video on that first run straight out of the box also played back darker than it actually was, it was about that time when the lights set to Auto are about to come on. So I would be interested to know what settings you have yours on Kurt and you Ben as we are all using the standard lensed Mobius.

Oh and on that first run, as I have the "auto rain sensor " extended housing directly behind the "auto dimming" rear view mirror. Positioned where it was the playback had the corner of the extended housing in view. So I will have to find another position for it I'm afraid.

To miss videoing the housing it would have to move further sideways to the passenger side, away from the back of the rear view mirror [don't like that idea] There is the option to attach the mount to the rear and bottom of the rain sensor housing plumb centre, but that drops the camera below the mirror. Whilst hardly noticeable from the outside looking in from the front, it is highly visiable from outside the car looking in from either the passenger or drivers side.

Another option may be to sticky back Velcro the camera housing to the rear of the auto dimming mirror, or to the rear of the rain sensing extended housing and use a 20cm camera lense extension cable to allow me to afix the lens to the underside of the auto rairn sensor housing. Rather not but it might be the only option if I want it to de discreet from all angles. [ oh the joys of having the Titanium spec].................Ideas welcome, feel free to join in.

Good question. Screen shots of my current set up via the mobile app attached. Two things to note, video quality will vary based on firmware.

I'm running v1.17 this firmware is old and does not work with the live video from the cam. I think ben is running v1.20 iirc and I think his videos look better than mine.

There is two apps on Google play store one for configuration and the other for a live video feed

I have rain sensor as you can see from my videos it's possible to keep the camera close and keep the corner of your sensor out of view, most times I only have a tad bit showing, it doesn't bother me since I still have a clear view ahead.

post-43258-140786334401_thumb.jpg

post-43258-140786335519_thumb.jpg

post-43258-140786336471_thumb.jpg

post-43258-14078633813_thumb.jpg

Official apps.

EDIT: for video viewing I recommend MX player, simple app that allows you to watch videos on your camera sd card whilst connected to your phone without downloading them

It helps to better choose what videos to copy over

post-43258-140786372502_thumb.jpg

Cheers Kurt for the info much appreciated.

Been messing today, with the Mobius set up software and with two physical positions.

And to be honest we are not making movies are we, all it has to do is record what is going on on the road as we proceed down it.

So tucked in behind the RV mirror with a bit of housing shown in shot is fine really. That said to improve hide ability I may just order a 20cm cable lense extension for £4.11 and have a mess like Techmoan did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qx5fgy8f28. If it keeps me entertained for an afternoon its money well spent. :)

• Like 1

There was another thread in the Focus section not long ago, but now buried abut 12 pages down in the forum - http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/57605-best-dash-cam-for-mk2-focus/page-7

This is my set up, just behind the driver's side of the rear view mirror using a custom made mount. I can just see a corner of the rain sensor cover but it doesn't bother me. The most important is that it is put of sight from inside and out and sees whats ahead of the car. Works a treat.

Here is a picture taken from the driver's door.

attachicon.gifCIMG9557.JPG

Here is a picture from the outside facing directly into the wind screen

attachicon.gifCIMG9559.JPG

• Like 2

There was another thread in the Focus section not long ago, but now buried abut 12 pages down in the forum - http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/57605-best-dash-cam-for-mk2-focus/page-7

This is my set up, just behind the driver's side of the rear view mirror using a custom made mount. I can just see a corner of the rain sensor cover but it doesn't bother me. The most important is that it is put of sight from inside and out and sees whats ahead of the car. Works a treat.

Here is a picture taken from the driver's door.

attachicon.gifCIMG9557.JPG

Here is a picture from the outside facing directly into the wind screen

attachicon.gifCIMG9559.JPG

• Like 1

nice one V, the position looks good, I'm also looking at the possability of fashioning a bracket myself with parts canablised from the stock 3M screen mount the Mobius maker sells, so it can still be adjustable in the horizontal plane.

To all following this thread I posted this on ByrOn's Rear Facing Dash Cam thread, worth a read.

• Like 1

On the front of ignition live. we recently had an "incident" occur just in front of my car in a local car park. Sadly the camera was operating on motion sensor and not just constant recording. Unfortuantely the incident was not captured on camera and could not be used as it would have needed to have been.

I suggest if anyone gets a dashcam, that motion sensor is disabled if you have a high capacity card. If you have a low capacity, it might be a better idea, but if you end up in the same situation I found myself in this weekend, you might not get the footage you require.

• Like 1

On the front of ignition live. we recently had an "incident" occur just in front of my car in a local car park. Sadly the camera was operating on motion sensor and not just constant recording. Unfortuantely the incident was not captured on camera and could not be used as it would have needed to have been.

I suggest if anyone gets a dashcam, that motion sensor is disabled if you have a high capacity card. If you have a low capacity, it might be a better idea, but if you end up in the same situation I found myself in this weekend, you might not get the footage you require.

James sorry to hear about that mate.

I'm currently in the process of hardwiringnmy Möbius into the focus and I think I will turn motion section off as by the time it starts recording its usually missed the incident as you know yourself.

I think it would be to much to ask of the small dash cams to record 24 7 constant in the car and then there is the battery issue a and all that comes with that lol!

I guess the best option is just to have it hardwired in and record when ignition is on so. Basically when the car is driving or idling its a shame as motion section would work I think if it could maybe start recording a little sooner or maybe have a more sensitive lens to pick up any movement sooner for example a moving car parking or someone getting into the car in front before they reverse into you lol!

• Like 2

There are more expensive cams (Blackvue do a range) that do this, and include GPS, WiFi, g sensor and 247 recording with g-sensor/motion detect/button storage.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

There are more expensive cams (Blackvue do a range) that do this, and include GPS, WiFi, g sensor and 247 recording with g-sensor/motion detect/button storage.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

Yeah they are good cams but I'm am totally sold on the Möbius thanks to Kurt and others here its a cracking wee camera for the price.

Out of interest, is there a way to have it run on the battery with motion sensor on when the car is off and parked up, but run on the ignition live (I guess still through the battery) all the time when the car is live/running...??

Seems to me that would be the most sensible option..

That way if there some drunk twits walking down the road knocking off wing mirrors or something in the middle of the night when you're fast asleep the motion sensor would pick that up, but when you're sitting in a traffic jam not moving the camera would still run because the ignition is on..

• Like 1

Out of interest, is there a way to have it run on the battery with motion sensor on when the car is off and parked up, but run on the ignition live (I guess still through the battery) all the time when the car is live/running...??

Seems to me that would be the most sensible option..

That way if there some drunk twits walking down the road knocking off wing mirrors or something in the middle of the night when you're fast asleep the motion sensor would pick that up, but when you're sitting in a traffic jam not moving the camera would still run because the ignition is on..

Ian that's a good idea. Not sure if this is possible as it would still be set to record when it receives power (ie ignition live).

maybe a work around would be when parked up to connect with android phone/tablet and change the settings in car then maybe unplug lead from back of cam and that way its running on battery but I don't know is its stops motion recording automatically or if you have to manual stop it.

Its a bit of a extra few steps but maybe someone else may know of a better way. I know that the mobius is always getting improved firmware updates so they may add a feature like this in the settings in the future. who knows lol!

• Like 1

Initially you could not have auto start on power on with motion detection. Last time I looked at my settings though it was possible to turn motion detection on with auto start.

On the entire subject of recording whilst parked up I'm taking my mobius next level, for me most incident with my car happens when I'm not around where the camera is off, last night was the cherry on top.

Some beeeeeeeeeep beeeep beeping beep hole smashed off my wing mirror some point during last night, properly ripped it off the plastic mount and ripped the plastic attached to the door it self, I'm absolutely gutted, my neighbours where also victims of the same crime, the ***** little **** even spat at my car grrrr just talking about it makes my blood boil.

My mirror has completely snapped off hanging by the cables.

So now here is my plan something I've been debating with my self for a while. I will buy a jump start battery kit, there is an American company (can't remember the name atm) that makes a kit the size of an external usb drive, it's capable of jump starting small and large v8's multiple times consistently, it also comes with several adaptor where it can be used as a back up battery pack, it can be charged at home or in the car.

My aim now is to source one of these very small but powerful lithium ion battery kits and hard wire it into my car, somewhere accessible such as the boot or under seat.

I want to wire it in using some switch over relays and an ignition live kit (this gets a bit complicated)

The mobius will have power from both the battery and ignition, when ignition is on the mobius runs off the car and a switch over relay will send power to the battery kit to recharge it.

When the engine is turned off and ignition cuts the battery kit stops charging and camera stops running, after power cut the relay switches power from the ignition to the battery powering the camera whilst the car is turned off.

That's the idea anyways sounds more complex than it is but after last night I'm gonna take a stab at getting this to work.

Mated with a 64gb sd card and power pack the mobius should run about 8 hours before looping starts.

Next level indeed. I got the idea from a camera I think it's the black view? About 2 years ago they had an optional extra battery pack that could stop running once your car battery reaches a certain percentage etc cost was over £400 and video quality was crap. So it was a no go for me now I'd like to put my own twist on that idea

post-43258-140795200464_thumb.jpg

post-43258-140795207748_thumb.jpg

post-43258-140795207784_thumb.jpg

post-43258-140795209718_thumb.jpg

post-43258-140795214261_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I suppose you could install a secondary device that operates on a relay.

so for example, a secondary battery that when the ignition is on, the relay closes and battery 2 can charge which can operate the device. When the ignition goes off, the relay closes, battery 2 stops charging, dashcam runs on battery2. dashcam then drains battery 2, and when its done it falls back to its own battery for another half hour or whatever.

That is the only way I can think it would work!

• Like 2

Good idea james . I would be up for that if it was an easy thing to do.

• Like 1

to be honest, the relay is simple, and if you get the right guage of wire, fuse it correctly, and choose an appropriate battery, it should work fine.

Perhaps using a motorbike battery? its much smaller, can be tucked and stowed under a seat for example?

• Like 1

Sorry to read about the low life smashing your wing mirror Kurt.................but that's the kind of thing lifes losers get their kicks from.

• Like 1

to be honest, the relay is simple, and if you get the right guage of wire, fuse it correctly, and choose an appropriate battery, it should work fine.

Perhaps using a motorbike battery? its much smaller, can be tucked and stowed under a seat for example?

It may be an option I may look into in the future. At the moment I using Kurt's guide to install the can and hardwire it in. After that I will look into motion section and that sort of stuff.

Thanks James for the idea though.

• Like 1

Kurt, that a-hole requires a trip to the prison showers and someone with a nasty STD to help scrub their back!

• Like 1

Initially you could not have auto start on power on with motion detection. Last time I looked at my settings though it was possible to turn motion detection on with auto start.

On the entire subject of recording whilst parked up I'm taking my mobius next level, for me most incident with my car happens when I'm not around where the camera is off, last night was the cherry on top.

Some beeeeeeeeeep beeeep beeping beep hole smashed off my wing mirror some point during last night, properly ripped it off the plastic mount and ripped the plastic attached to the door it self, I'm absolutely gutted, my neighbours where also victims of the same crime, the ***** little **** even spat at my car grrrr just talking about it makes my blood boil.

My mirror has completely snapped off hanging by the cables.

So now here is my plan something I've been debating with my self for a while. I will buy a jump start battery kit, there is an American company (can't remember the name atm) that makes a kit the size of an external usb drive, it's capable of jump starting small and large v8's multiple times consistently, it also comes with several adaptor where it can be used as a back up battery pack, it can be charged at home or in the car.

My aim now is to source one of these very small but powerful lithium ion battery kits and hard wire it into my car, somewhere accessible such as the boot or under seat.

I want to wire it in using some switch over relays and an ignition live kit (this gets a bit complicated)

The mobius will have power from both the battery and ignition, when ignition is on the mobius runs off the car and a switch over relay will send power to the battery kit to recharge it.

When the engine is turned off and ignition cuts the battery kit stops charging and camera stops running, after power cut the relay switches power from the ignition to the battery powering the camera whilst the car is turned off.

That's the idea anyways sounds more complex than it is but after last night I'm gonna take a stab at getting this to work.

Mated with a 64gb sd card and power pack the mobius should run about 8 hours before looping starts.

Next level indeed. I got the idea from a camera I think it's the black view? About 2 years ago they had an optional extra battery pack that could stop running once your car battery reaches a certain percentage etc cost was over £400 and video quality was crap. So it was a no go for me now I'd like to put my own twist on that idea

Sorry Kurt man to hear about this mate.

the pictures say it all. there really are some nasty people about that have no respect for others property and the time effort and money that goes into thee cars and the projects.

I like your thinking on the mobius mate and taking it to the next level. I think you may be onto something as I think being able to record when parked would be a great thing especially in these cases.

My 12v to 5v lead arrived so I have downloaded your guide and will keep you updated on my progress mate.

Good luck with having to fix all on car up. I feel for you mate .

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the kind words, atm got my mirror taped up until I can find the time over the weekend.

James your idea is similar but there are a couple things I took into consideration, those motorbike batteries are huge compared to the jump start kit furthermore I don't want it leaking in the car or producing a strange smell, I also want it to be easily removed and able to charge at home with no extra mods.

I will post up some pics later of exactly what I'm going for to give you guys a better idea of this set up.

Kurt, that a-hole requires a trip to the prison showers and someone with a nasty STD to help scrub their back!

This made me laugh, if only lol. Tell you the truth if I had caught the little **** I would be the one going prison.

Sorry Kurt man to hear about this mate.

the pictures say it all. there really are some nasty people about that have no respect for others property and the time effort and money that goes into thee cars and the projects.

I like your thinking on the mobius mate and taking it to the next level. I think you may be onto something as I think being able to record when parked would be a great thing especially in these cases.

My 12v to 5v lead arrived so I have downloaded your guide and will keep you updated on my progress mate.

Good luck with having to fix all on car up. I feel for you mate .

Thanks dude. It is a waste of money now replacing my mirror. Lack of respect indeed.

Your going about it the right way. Get settled with your Mobius before modding

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club