Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My New Mobius Dashcam

mixmasterlooney

I'll take some photos later, forgot to say that I have set my cam to auto record on ignition on/off that way I just forget about it.

Only time I have to remove camera is if I need to change settings, I bought a micro usb OTG cable (£1 ebay) so I can view/copy videos onto my smartphone.

I've got a OTG cable, I used it on my LG G2 and Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tab when I was initially setting up the camera in the car. The OTG is handy because you can set-up the Mobius in the car, do a few test shots. Then instead of having to take the camera into the flat, plug it into computer, watch the video... (it's all a bit long winded) - you can plug your table/smartphone directly into the camera via the OTG. As I only have a desktop PC, not a laptop. So the OTG cable is dead handy to have!

I agree, OTG cable handy if you ever need to view footage on smartphone while out & about/save evidence etc.

• Like 1

I agree, OTG cable handy if you ever need to view footage on smartphone while out & about/save evidence etc.

Exactly... but I was lucky to pick one up from eBay for £0.39. Haha, I was the only bidder ;)

• Like 1

That's what I thought at first when looking into hard wiring, and maybe that would work. I think it would turn itself off after a while, and the camera would start recording when you open the door and for about 10 minutes after, but still it could be an option.

In my Tit there are 2 orangish lights up by the map buttons, they go on and off with the ignition.

No, if you start on external power, switching the ignition off will turn the camera off.

I'm suggesting Phil probably turns it back on with the power button after its gone off, and it then runs on its internal battery.

Correct :). That's why I said I sometimes forget to turn it back on, and if that ever happens and come back to find a dent in the car I'll be kicking myself lol.

In my Tit there are 2 orangish lights up by the map buttons, they go on and off with the ignition.

That could work, but you might have to check what fuse that circuit runs off just in case adding a dashcam could blow the fuse. Hopefully it would be ok though, because dashcams are ok on a 2 amp fuse.

Correct :). That's why I said I sometimes forget to turn it back on, and if that ever happens and come back to find a dent in the car I'll be kicking mysely lol.

That's very handy to know. I wouldn't have even thought of this, and this is something I shall definitely do. Better to be safe, than sorry I say.

I have the exact same in my Titanium, but I won't be splicing or hard-wiring into these. When my bleeding hard-wire kit arrives *drain*, I'm going to be piggy backing it off the rear wiper (as many others have done). Also it be good to know if any other of the "empty" slots, on the passenger fuse board are actually live with ignition - as there quite a few empty slots. Then it would be a simple case of using an empty slot, rather than have to piggyback from another.

Most get power and if you check your manual if you don't have a particular function like heated seats then it will be.

• Like 1

Most get power and if you check your manual if you don't have a particular function like heated seats then it will be.

I've got heated seats, to keep the buns warm :D

• Like 1

Haha well there might be something you don't have (electric sunroof?)

• Like 2

Haha well there might be something you don't have (electric sunroof?)

Haha. Definitely don't have a sunroof!

I have the exact same in my Titanium, but I won't be splicing or hard-wiring into these. When my bleeding hard-wire kit arrives *drain*, I'm going to be piggy backing it off the rear wiper (as many others have done). Also it be good to know if any other of the "empty" slots, on the passenger fuse board are actually live with ignition - as there quite a few empty slots. Then it would be a simple case of using an empty slot, rather than have to piggyback from another.

Is the rear wiper a good choice?

Looking at the wiring diagram, its fed by 3 conductors, 1 is ground, the other two come from the relay (looks like it swaps polarity to reverse the wiper). Not only that but you may overload the rating of the wire (0.75mmsq).

It doesn't take much work to get it thread through to the front of the car imo.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

Is the rear wiper a good choice?

Looking at the wiring diagram, its fed by 3 conductors, 1 is ground, the other two come from the relay (looks like it swaps polarity to reverse the wiper). Not only that but you may overload the rating of the wire (0.75mmsq).

It doesn't take much work to get it thread through to the front of the car imo.

I think a few others are running from the rear wiper?

What other suggestions do you have?

I think a few others are running from the rear wiper?

What other suggestions do you have?

I didn't know they had, in which case ignore me if it works!

Simple job of running the cable forward to the passenger junction box, and use a mini-"add a fuse" to get an ignition switched supply (iirc I'm using f107), and ground it nearby on a bolt.

I didn't know they had, in which case ignore me if it works!

Simple job of running the cable forward to the passenger junction box, and use a mini-"add a fuse" to get an ignition switched supply (iirc I'm using f107), and ground it nearby on a bolt.

I've got the piggyback... just waiting for my mini USB hardwire kit. So it's not currently Setup yet, but I will be checking the "empty" fuse slots (passenger junction box) to see if any are live when ignition is turned on.

I've just had a glance over the Passenger junction box diagram. I can see that Fuse 42 is (rear view camera) 7.5A, basically I have everything as optional extra's on my Titanium, to pretty much match the spec of a Titanium X. But I don't have a rear view camera, meaning would it be ideal to run my dashcam from this fuse slot? Rather than piggyback from the rear wiper fuse 6?

I've just had a glance over the Passenger junction box diagram. I can see that Fuse 42 is (rear view camera) 7.5A, basically I have everything as optional extra's on my Titanium, to pretty much match the spec of a Titanium X. But I don't have a rear view camera, meaning would it be ideal to run my Dashcam from this fuse slot? Rather than piggyback from the rear wiper fuse 6?

Sorry mate I think i've got the wrong end of the stick! I was under the impression that you were going to tap into one of the motor wires, rather than the fuse.

If the fuse is ignition switched, then go for it - shouldn't be a problem. The issue with empty fuse places is that they may not have the metal contacts inside them (None of my empty spaces have).

• Like 1

The issue with empty fuse places is that they may not have the metal contacts inside them (None of my empty spaces have).

I did think that might be the case, but do have a circuit tester to hand anyway. I haven't really taken a close look at the empty slots yet (to see if there are metal contacts, etc..), it was just an idea that popped into my head. But I reckon going from Fuse 42 maybe the way forward, of course I shall check to see it's ignition switched first.

• Like 1

To be fair any ignition switched fuse would be ok to piggyback off, I just like the idea of using the rear wiper circuit because it's not a serious problem if the rear wiper stops working (which actually happened when I took it into a garage to have the wiring done).

To be fair any ignition switched fuse would be ok to piggyback off, I just like the idea of using the rear wiper circuit because it's not a serious problem if the rear wiper stops working (which actually happened when I took it into a garage to have the wiring done).

That Makes sense!!

I set up my mobius in the car earlier, i've decided where to mount it with the permanent holder. Shall be running it off it's internal battery until the hard-wire kit arrives. Anyway literally after a couple minutes of driving (Yes, really was a couple of minutes), I captured some wally in a Jag cutting me up.

post-62796-0-49828100-1428258218_thumb.j

post-62796-0-59966100-1428258220_thumb.j

post-62796-0-42101900-1428258222_thumb.j

post-62796-0-88038800-1428258223_thumb.j

post-62796-0-36445900-1428258225_thumb.j

post-62796-0-87243800-1428258226_thumb.j

• Like 1

Ian I was getting about an hour or just over (1h 5 min something like that) on the original version with a full charge. so Looks like the upgraded battery is a good job then. I wonder will it heat up much in summer or maybe just be the same as the smaller battery.

Kurt great job on second cam. Please do post some pics of the final installation on the rear window and keep us posted on how the new firmware preforms. I will be adding another mobius as a rear window cam in the next few months myself so may need some help/advice near the time. I highly recommend the mobius I myself have been running mine almost a year now and have had no issues at all. Its a great cam all round.

Hello Sonic i have been fiddling with the rear cam idea for a very long time and i am not happy with the final setup at all, it's not exactly how i imagined it and i feel that too much of the cam is on display, back to the drawing board with that idea.

And I finally got round to replacing the dodgy lens in my new Mobius with the ok lens from the old camera. It was a bit fiddly, especially because the used the smallest screws known to man. Also the lenses don't seem to be the exact same size, but luckily the lens fit into my new camera, although now the old camera is a bit useless because I can't even close the case with the lens in lol. I might have to cut out some plastic to get the lens to fit.

But first I need to try and fix the problem with the lens itself, and I have a new sensor to fit into the lens. Has anyone opened a Mobius lens before?

Phill not that i know of anyone opening the actually lens it self, i would have thought they would send the entire lens as one to replace, did you find out what the strange line of the lens was btw?

Right i've just been sat in the car, have a mess around with the Mobius. Thankfully I didn't stick the mount permanently (used PVC tape), just to hold it while I took some sample videos.

attachicon.gifA.jpg

attachicon.gifB.jpg

attachicon.gifC.jpg

As you can see, looks like a nice set-up and can't really notice it from outside the vehicle. That's until I plugged into my table via OTG

attachicon.gifD.jpg

The bleeding plastic casing for the City Stop camera is in the way:

attachicon.gifF.JPG

For others who have all the sensors in the windscreen... plus have the Active City Stop camera, where is it suitable to mount the Mobius from inside the vehicle? As I did have it set-up like so:

attachicon.gifF.JPG

Like said by others what i did was lower the camera slightly and move it to the left, it works fine, there is a tiny bit of the rain sensor cover on show

This is what mine looks like

post-43258-0-62998900-1428328656_thumb.j

Still waiting for my bleeding hard-wire kit - lol.

Just a question for all current Mobius users. Are we leaving our camera's in the vehicle when parking up for the night? I'm only curious because I have to either mount mine as per the post above, due to the simple fact of the plastic casing surround (Rain sensors / ActiveCityStop) which would make it more visible. Or I will have to attach it to the underside of the trim around the active stop camera, which basically means the Mobius will be literally smack bang in the middle of the wind screen.

My cam stays in the car permanently, it's hardly visible, don't bother taking it out constantly and messing up your set up.

On the subject of getting a power feed from the interior courtesy light, I wouldn't recommend it, however if you do choose to use it, it will work fine but there are disadvantages.

1. The Mobius does not like unstable power during start up, I experience this unstable power using a 12V connector, power would come on for 10 second everytime the car is locked/unlocked, by the time you then start up the mobius will shut down and it wont auto start up again

2. Without splicing or soldering you wont be able to get a good connection or install a fuse for the cam

3. It wont be a easy removal. One of the main reason why i like the idea of the piggy back setup in the fuse box is the ability to remove the camera without any trace of it ever being there, no cutting of any wires on the car

Phill not that i know of anyone opening the actually lens it self, i would have thought they would send the entire lens as one to replace, did you find out what the strange line of the lens was btw?

I haven't got round to fixing it yet, I'll probably try blasting the lens with compressed air and see if that sorts it.

• Like 1

Thanks Clive I'll order one of those.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club