Hassen

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 664 posts
  • Name: Hassen
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Mk 2.5 1.6TDCI 2010
  • Year: 2010

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

Pictures of the install of Silent Coat. So far in 2 afternoons after work, I managed to get the 2 front doors and the whole boot done. 1 1/2 hr for each door and 2 hr for the whole boot. Fairly easy process with the right tools and it helped that I had stripped the car doors numerous times before. Lots of patience needed but this whole process was a lot of fun, even with the lashing rain and my son trying to "help" me yesterday :P

IMAG1915_zpsgdast8xn.jpg

IMAG1917_zpsapfc1zja.jpg

IMAG1919_zps1sgkdiwk.jpg

IMAG1921_zpsttg5geij.jpg

IMAG1922_zps6lstowki.jpg

IMAG1923_zpsbbz2jw6e.jpg

IMAG1925_zps6brkflgu.jpg

IMAG1928_zpsfyxbg9xv.jpg

IMAG1914_zpsmehua8vx.jpg

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Hassen

Hassen

• FOC Supporters
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

Previously in the car on the motorway at 120 kph, the ambient noise level was 85db and at 100kph it was 80db. With just the front doors done, it went down to 80db and 75db. You can definitely hear the difference. Also, the music from the current speakers in the car are much clearer and the bass tighter. That's with just the front door done. I will have to hear the difference tomorrow on my way to work to report back. 

Fun times ahead with the planned install of the speakers and amp this weekend :)

#18 Hassen

Hassen

• FOC Supporters
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

Forgot to say how easy it was to work with the Silent Coat. Never used any type of deadener before and having the squares on it made life so much easier when making a shape or just a plain rectangle shape. I would recommend it to anyone looking for an alternative to Dynamat as it is cheaper and from the general internet consensus, not that dissimilar :)

#19 Hassen

Hassen

• FOC Supporters
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:43 PM

Today, after an fun 20km cycle with the family, I started working on the car round 7pm. 3 1/2hr later, I had managed to remove the Vibe Slick 6 speakers and the stock tweeters to be replaced by the Focal 165KR component set. It was not an easy process as I am not great with wiring and I have very little patience when it comes to that. But I persevered and the end result was sweet! Just a few pictures of the install.

1. Had to take the Focal tweeter from the flush mount case. It was an absolute nightmare and my frustration got to me. I hacked it away as I was not going to use it and got the tweeters out.

IMAG1944_zpsveeixqzm.jpg

2. Focal tweeter with the mesh removed

IMAG1947_zpsrfvk6mkq.jpg

3. Stock Ford tweeter which isn't half bad to be honest. It was past it's prime as it started to distort at lower volumes recently.

IMAG1945_zpszqa16btf.jpg

4. Focal tweeter fitting nicely without any mods in the stock position.

IMAG1949_zpsumyk2dcr.jpg

IMAG1950_zps5awadzuw.jpg

5. Fully wired crossover, tweeter and mid range woofer. The spot where the cross over is on the right is a nice one for anyone who is fitting one in the door as other places were not that great. It was late in the evening in the dark when I took the picture, so not a great shot with the phone.

IMAG1953_zpsn9zjochx.jpg

Initial thoughts with the new speakers: Utterly blown away. Put on Miles Davis, which I have on vinyl at home and I know the album very well. Very little difference in the sound. Granted, it's not the same but very close. So far with just initial test, the Focal sound blends very well with the JL Audio subwoofer. I have at the moment left the tweeter on 0db(middle position) to see how it goes. I will have to write another review once the speakers have broken in. Looking forward to my drive to work tomorrow :)

#20 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,706 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
Contributor

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:48 PM

Looks Great Hassen you made a tidy job of fitting too,
Have you done the boot door aswell?

#21 Hassen

Hassen

• FOC Supporters
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:58 PM

Thanks Lenny. Need the encouragement because I have been chipping at it slowly for the past week and a half now. Fun process but time consuming. Plus, the weather is wrecking havoc with my plans.

I went really slowly with everything as I wanted to do it once and get it right. What's left to apply Silent Coat on is:

1. Rear doors - inner and outer skin

2. Boot door

3. Floor of the car

Problem is that I only have about 12 sheets of Silent Coat left and I used about 10-12 for the front doors. I will probably end up using the same amount for the rear doors and then I am out of funds. I will have to wait then till I can afford it in the next few months. With just the front doors and boot floor done, the quality of the music inside the car has drastically increased. Now with the new speakers, it has gone up to another level. Very happy with the outcome and can't wait for the next stage :)

#22 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,706 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:12 AM

Thanks Lenny. Need the encouragement because I have been chipping at it slowly for the past week and a half now. Fun process but time consuming. Plus, the weather is wrecking havoc with my plans.

I went really slowly with everything as I wanted to do it once and get it right. What's left to apply Silent Coat on is:
1. Rear doors - inner and outer skin
2. Boot door
3. Floor of the car

Problem is that I only have about 12 sheets of Silent Coat left and I used about 10-12 for the front doors. I will probably end up using the same amount for the rear doors and then I am out of funds. I will have to wait then till I can afford it in the next few months. With just the front doors and boot floor done, the quality of the music inside the car has drastically increased. Now with the new speakers, it has gone up to another level. Very happy with the outcome and can't wait for the next stage :)

sweet,
Not sure if you have fitted an engine cover to yours yet but it also reduces engine noise from behind the dash,
I know that wont help your speakers but it reduces other sounds,

#23 Hassen

Hassen

• FOC Supporters
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:18 AM

My car thankfully had the engine cover when I bought it. It's an English import, which explains the 109 bhp and a few neat add ons as compared to the Irish version of the car. I had the engine cover off for a while and the noise is a lot more pronounced then. Definitely plan on putting Silent Coat on the underside of the bonnet and firewall afterwards :)

#24 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,706 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:25 AM

If you got a thin sheet of plywood cut to shape the under sid3 of the parcel shelf and painted it black prior to bonding to the under side of the parcel shelf this would also help the base from your sub insulating it from the rear window,

#25 Hassen

Hassen

• FOC Supporters
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:30 AM

Never thought of that. Great idea Lenny. Might get it wrapped in black carpet, same colour as the boot to keep it tidy. One more to add to the to do list and this should be a cheap mod to do. Cheers :)

Btw, if you are in the Midlands visiting, you should come have a listen to the new sound system. I am around Athlone, Mullingar and Tullamore during the working week :)

#26 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,706 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:49 AM

Never thought of that. Great idea Lenny. Might get it wrapped in black carpet, same colour as the boot to keep it tidy. One more to add to the to do list and this should be a cheap mod to do. Cheers :)

Btw, if you are in the Midlands visiting, you should come have a listen to the new sound system. I am around Athlone, Mullingar and Tullamore during the working week :)

thanks mate will do,
Cant see myself traveling in the coming months as im out of work with my back past month and getting married in 4 weeks time,
Pending a back operation after CT scan in euromedic yestersay and third baby due in November :rolleyes:
They give me a CD yesterday with my CT images on it lol gotta upload to photobucket some time this week when i find out whats going to happen.

#27 b4zz

b4zz

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Name: Barry
  • Ford Model: facelift focus zetec
  • Year: 2009

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:00 AM

looks like you have been a very busy boy hassen
looks like a very tidy job you are doing any chance of up loading a video once you are all finished with the install

#28 Hassen

Hassen

• FOC Supporters
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

Lenny, look after yourself mate. You need to take it easy and loads happening for you. Congrats again on the upcoming wedding and new addition to the family. Does that mean you will need to get a station wagon now? :P

I would offer to help with the CT images as a doctor but sadly I deal with Mental Health and I would have no clue what I was looking at. I heard Valium are great for sore backs ;)

#29 Hassen

Hassen

• FOC Supporters
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

looks like you have been a very busy boy hassen
looks like a very tidy job you are doing any chance of up loading a video once you are all finished with the install

Thanks man. It's been a very tedious job but totally worth it in the end. I plan on uploading a 1080p video of the whole thing in action once I have the project completed. I am hoping the dSLR camera's mic will be able to pick up the sound better than a phone mic. It has in the past when doing guitar recordings, so here is for hoping.

As for the sound from the component speakers, I am blown away and when it comes to music gear, that rarely happens. My commute to work today was highly entertaining. I was grinning and laughing while listening to music on the motorway. Very clear articulated highs and punchy mids. The speakers have not even been run in and they have that distinctive Focal sound. I am hoping that once I get the rear doors sound deadened and connect the subwoofer to the monoblock amp, there will be some further improvements :)

#30 Hassen

Hassen

• FOC Supporters
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

This afternoon kept on working on the car. Without too much trouble, I managed to wire up the JL Audio JX250/1 amplifier. Took me about 1 1/2hr with lots of disruptions from the kids jumping in and out of the car. Was still fun though. Once wired up it worked from the start without any issues.

Quick picture of the new setup:

IMAG1956_zpsfo12w69o.jpg

The wiring will need to be tidied up once I am done. The sound from this amplifier is a lot cleaner and more powerful than the bridged mode off the Blaupunkt GTA470. I had to turn down the Bass Boost function off it to 0 as it was too overpowering all the rest of the music! Together with the rest of the system, it does blend very well.

I made a quick video off the camera phone but don't know how good it was able to capture the music. Once it's uploaded on Photobucket, I will post it :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Focal, sub woofer, audio, upgrade, performance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users