Today, after an fun 20km cycle with the family, I started working on the car round 7pm. 3 1/2hr later, I had managed to remove the Vibe Slick 6 speakers and the stock tweeters to be replaced by the Focal 165KR component set. It was not an easy process as I am not great with wiring and I have very little patience when it comes to that. But I persevered and the end result was sweet! Just a few pictures of the install.
1. Had to take the Focal tweeter from the flush mount case. It was an absolute nightmare and my frustration got to me. I hacked it away as I was not going to use it and got the tweeters out.
2. Focal tweeter with the mesh removed
3. Stock Ford tweeter which isn't half bad to be honest. It was past it's prime as it started to distort at lower volumes recently.
4. Focal tweeter fitting nicely without any mods in the stock position.
5. Fully wired crossover, tweeter and mid range woofer. The spot where the cross over is on the right is a nice one for anyone who is fitting one in the door as other places were not that great. It was late in the evening in the dark when I took the picture, so not a great shot with the phone.
Initial thoughts with the new speakers: Utterly blown away. Put on Miles Davis, which I have on vinyl at home and I know the album very well. Very little difference in the sound. Granted, it's not the same but very close. So far with just initial test, the Focal sound blends very well with the JL Audio subwoofer. I have at the moment left the tweeter on 0db(middle position) to see how it goes. I will have to write another review once the speakers have broken in. Looking forward to my drive to work tomorrow