Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hassen's Ford Focus 1.6 Tdci Build Thread

Hassen

So received my Rockford Fosgate Punch 1000X4D Class D amplifier today. The weather stayed good for about 1.5hr and I took about 1hr to take out the Blaupunkt GTA470 and fitting in with all the wires the new amplifier.

Here are some pictures of the new setup. Not that different from the old but the new amp is smaller in size and I like how all the wires come from the back of the unit and all the controls are at the other end are for the gain/filters etc.

IMAG2120_zpskphlmbtx.jpg

IMAG2119_zpsprrgsia4.jpg

• Like 1

Rockford Fosgate Punch 1000X4D initial impressions:

So, had the amp installed for a few days and got a chance to tweak the sound to my liking. My first impression when plugging it in was "Wow! the Focal Speakers have come truly alive!" It was not a lot louder but the clarity was clearly discernible. The tweeters were very distinct and the woofers up front were a lot more dynamic that before and the mid bass was well and truly part of the sound now. Before, it was there but not as prominent as now. I had to mess about with the gain to find the right balance for the front Speakers and the sub. It was not that difficult and I managed to get them to stop clipping. I wish I had one of those SMD devices to do so accurately but for now my ears will have to do.

I was not expecting a big difference after changing to the new amp but I was pleasantly surprised. I guess feeding adequate power to the Speakers really do make a difference.

Next, I plan on making a short 1080p video and hoping to capture the sound quality of the whole system.

• Like 1

Rockford Fosgate Punch 1000X4D initial impressions:

So, had the amp installed for a few days and got a chance to tweak the sound to my liking. My first impression when plugging it in was "Wow! the Focal speakers have come truly alive!" It was not a lot louder but the clarity was clearly discernible. The tweeters were very distinct and the woofers up front were a lot more dynamic that before and the mid bass was well and truly part of the sound now. Before, it was there but not as prominent as now. I had to mess about with the gain to find the right balance for the front speakers and the sub. It was not that difficult and I managed to get them to stop clipping. I wish I had one of those SMD devices to do so accurately but for now my ears will have to do.

I was not expecting a big difference after changing to the new amp but I was pleasantly surprised. I guess feeding adequate power to the speakers really do make a difference.

Next, I plan on making a short 1080p video and hoping to capture the sound quality of the whole system.

Sounds like you got a great deal there mate,

It's casing suits the rest of the setup much better aswell,

Looking forward to seeing the video when you get the time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have had this item in my watch list for the past week thought id give it a mention on here too,

Its basically three led's in one,

And monitors the voltage of your car battery,

Its remains green until voltage drops below 12.0V

then it turns yellow until voltage drops below 11.5V

Then it turns red for anything lower.

_35_zpsypv1ztjk.jpg

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-LED-Battery-monitor-IDEAL-WITH-HEATED-HAND-GRIPS-DONT-DRAIN-YOUR-BATTERY-E/201208629820?_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D28111%26meid%3D600ef176b0c44f0cafea8c644d7e5608%26pid%3D100012%26prg%3D11472%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D191393771437

I had considered purchasing one and fitting to the ST gauge pod bottom centre between the two gauges,

Since ill be fitting two amps to th3 car in spring, there will be a heavy drain on the battery; if listening to the stereo with the engine off,

So having this warning indicator visible on the dash would in theory give early warning of battery drain, leaving enough time to start the engine saving the occupants from becoming immobilised due to a drained battery.

• Like 1

Have had this item in my watch list for the past week thought id give it a mention on here too,

Its basically three led's in one,

And monitors the voltage of your car battery,

Its remains green until voltage drops below 12.0V

then it turns yellow until voltage drops below 11.5V

Then it turns red for anything lower.

_35_zpsypv1ztjk.jpg

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-LED-Battery-monitor-IDEAL-WITH-HEATED-HAND-GRIPS-DONT-DRAIN-YOUR-BATTERY-E/201208629820?_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D28111%26meid%3D600ef176b0c44f0cafea8c644d7e5608%26pid%3D100012%26prg%3D11472%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D191393771437

I had considered purchasing one and fitting to the ST gauge pod bottom centre between the two gauges,

Since ill be fitting two amps to th3 car in spring, there will be a heavy drain on the battery; if listening to the stereo with the engine off,

So having this warning indicator visible on the dash would in theory give early warning of battery drain, leaving enough time to start the engine saving the occupants from becoming immobilised due to a drained battery.

how do these work lenny?

can they be used on any 12v system to keep an eye on battery level?

how do these work lenny?

can they be used on any 12v system to keep an eye on battery level?

Seems they can be used to monitor battery level on any motor,

He also does them in a 6 volt version

And a similar unit to warn of freezing conditions outside ideal for retro ford Owners,

From my understanding its a simpe positive and negative feed,

Splice them in to an ignition live feed such as the heater control unit,

It then displays one of the three led's depending on the voltage level its recieving,

I understand it to be a combination of three led's and relays inside

Green only works at 11.5v or higher,

Theres an auto off relay on yellow which stops yellow illuminating while green is active

Then as theres no enough power to light green,

Yellow becomes active.

Quite a clever little unit and fits a range of locations will work on any car,

Seller is advertising the same unit in various ways to help sell them,

The core operation is the same on all 12v

Just ensure your purchasing one for 12v supply

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for that Lenny. Unsure if I am going to look into it as all car related things have been put aside at the moment for at least another 6-9 months.

Buying/renovating a house and baby number 2 on the way. Exciting times :)

• Like 2

Cheers for that Lenny. Unsure if I am going to look into it as all car related things have been put aside at the moment for at least another 6-9 months.

Buying/renovating a house and baby number 2 on the way. Exciting times :)

Congratulations mate thats fantastic news regarding the baby.

Renovating a house can be quite a therapeutic process aswell my dad is in to houses but im more in to cars,

We bought ours eight years ago aint worth half what we paid now so you're buying at the right time for sure.

I reckon two kids are much easier than one aswell at times im sure Daniel is very excited too :)

If i could recommend to you one last quality car related item to compliment the existing upgrades in your car it would be this reverse camera:

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/beat-cam-fd1-ford-focus-2007-cmos-number-plate-car-reverse-rear-view-camera.html?search=focus%20reverse

Fitted this exact model myself a few weeks ago and i highly recommend.

Enabled complete confidence when reversing up to walls in some car parks and it replaced an existing part.

• Like 2

Thanks man. It's all go go go at the moment with house. Planning to renovate it as well, so getting architect and builders etc is an exciting process. I agree, it's quite therapeutic in a way but will get more engaging once ground works start.

Dunno about how having 2 kiddies will be easier than one man. I can barely function with the one lol. I reckon we will be ok though. Daniel is excited as his friend as well got a new little brother and he wants one too lol. He keeps asking when the baby will come but it's not for a good few months.

I saw that link on your build thread for the camera and as tempting as it is, I have decided to just shelf all car related plans for the short term. Only allowing myself to maintain the car for wear and tear items, tax and insurance to keep it on the road.

All efforts are being redirected to house project and family from now on. My actual next project will be getting parts for a revamped house sound system once the house is completed. I am seriously considering getting floor standing Speakers from Focal as from reviews and videos I have seen, they are as amazing as the car Speakers. They should be for the price they retail at. I am planning to get a pair of floor standers and maybe a centre speaker as well. I will be keeping my existing Jamo rear Speakers and subwoofer. This will not be happening for at least 6-9 months down the line when I have enough funds saved. Plus, I got the go ahead from my better half :)

• Like 1

Thanks man. It's all go go go at the moment with house. Planning to renovate it as well, so getting architect and builders etc is an exciting process. I agree, it's quite therapeutic in a way but will get more engaging once ground works start.

Dunno about how having 2 kiddies will be easier than one man. I can barely function with the one lol. I reckon we will be ok though. Daniel is excited as his friend as well got a new little brother and he wants one too lol. He keeps asking when the baby will come but it's not for a good few months.

I saw that link on your build thread for the camera and as tempting as it is, I have decided to just shelf all car related plans for the short term. Only allowing myself to maintain the car for wear and tear items, tax and insurance to keep it on the road.

All efforts are being redirected to house project and family from now on. My actual next project will be getting parts for a revamped house sound system once the house is completed. I am seriously considering getting floor standing speakers from Focal as from reviews and videos I have seen, they are as amazing as the car speakers. They should be for the price they retail at. I am planning to get a pair of floor standers and maybe a centre speaker as well. I will be keeping my existing Jamo rear speakers and subwoofer. This will not be happening for at least 6-9 months down the line when I have enough funds saved. Plus, I got the go ahead from my better half :)

Sounds good,

So the next time we see you will be on RTÉ with Dermot Bannon on the show "room to improve"

Silent Coat will be replaced in favour of pumped in attic and wall insulation :)

Two kids entertain each other makes it easier.

I've installed a set of Marine Line white Speakers in the ceiling of the bathroom

Hooked them up to the hifi in the bedroom with a two way switch box in the bedroom enables ability to switch off audio in bedroom and only power the bathroom,

• Like 2

Lol, room to improve is something we watch but not the biggest fan of Dermot now.

The thing about two kids I heard but unsure how much that works in practice lol.

That's a brilliant idea about the marine line Speakers. I am very tempted to have something similar in the next kitchen/extension downstairs. I guess there is a lot more research to do about that. Would be pretty awesome if I could have Speakers all around via bluetooth. That way I could just play whatever music I wanted when cooking/entertaining :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

2015 upgrades planned for the car. Would love to hear your thoughts:

1. Upgraded disc pads from EBC Green stuff. If anyone has any experience with these, I would love the hear them. I decided I might as well get something better than the stock pads. Any other suggestions or alternatives?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

2. Upgraded brake discs as my ones look a bit worn and have a lip at the edge. Thought about these as they are drilled and grooved. Alternatives to this one welcomed.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

3. New battery as my current sound system is putting a strain on the stock battery of over 4 years and it's starting to take a little longer to star the car on cold mornings and I fear that the battery is on the way out.

Lenny suggested the Bosch S5 battery. My current ICE setup has 2 amps running and I would need a better battery than the current one to cope with the increased demand.

4. Summer time, I will strip the car interior and apply Silent Coat sound deadedner and Dodo Mat sound barrier on the floor and boot area to further quieten the ride.

5. Timing belt and water pump due at next service.

6. Bisltein Eibach B12 Pro-Kit still on the cards at the tail end of this year.

7. If there's any funds left, planning on remapping the car and getting rid of the DPF since the car is at 103,500 miles and I fear the DPF as well might be on it's way out.

8. Whiteline rear Anti Roll Bar - still debating the benefits of this one.

Thanks

Current mods:

1. Green Cotton Air filter

2. Rockford Fosgate Punch P1000X4D 4 channel amplifier

3. Focal 165KR component Speakers (Front) powered by Rockford Fosgate Punch P1000X4D amplifier

4. JL Audio 10W0V3-4 in a custom Ford Focus MK2 enclosure powered by JL Audio JX250/1

5. Pioneer AVHX-2500BT double din touchscreen headunit

6. Silent Coat 2mm Sound Deadener - front doors, rear doors, bonnet and trunk

7. JL Audio JX250/1 Monoblock amplifier

8. Vibe Slick 6 coaxial rear Speakers powered by Rockford Fosgate Punch P1000X4D amplifier (Light rear fill)

9. Custom Heater knobs

10. LED interior lights

12. LED pads in glove compartment and boot

13. MK3 Heated washer jets

Planned mods:

1. Bilstein Eibach B12 Prokit

2. Silent Coat Sound Deadener - floor

3. Dodo Liner mat for the floor pan

Have something to contribute?

Reply to this discussion

#2 icon_share.pngDee_82

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • supporter-badge.png
  • 532 posts
  • Name: Darren
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2.5 1.6 TDCI
  • Year: 2008

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:01 AM

nice list, interested in what folk say on pads and discs

first up on my list is installing a custom oil catch can
http://www.saikoumic...om/951_page.htm

then rear disc conversion, got callipers cables and hoses just need pads discs, guards prob do that after my MOT next month.

after that its time to spend money looking at replacing some of the car, shocks, brushes and timing belt.

need to calm down a bit this year, went a bit mad last year :D !

Mods Complete
EGR Valve Blanked off Second Reverse Lamp Green Cotton Air Filter Revere parking sensors
Custom Climate controls Dash light Dimmer Glove Box light upgrade Front foot well lighting
Rear foot well lighting Second boot light + 2x48 SMDs Illuminated rear ford badge Front and Rear SMD Dome lights
Fan spray washer nozzles Boot 12v Aux socket Fog lamp DRLs Headlamp projector upgrade

Remap Custom Head unit Second Rear fog light Reverse camera

Chrome Lower front grill

Still do to
Illuminated Scuff plates Auto light / rain sensors / Dimming mirror Front and rear 1080p dash cams
Power folding heated mirrors Rear disc brakes oil catch can silicone hoses Think of more things to do!

:)

• FOC Supporters
  • supporter-badge.png
  • 1,004 posts
  • Name: Troy
  • Ford Model: Focus ST
  • Year: 2010

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:16 PM

Never had great experience of EBC stuff though this was on bikes, pads used to eat discs and their discs seemed cheap and nasty compared to alternatives available.

So never tried their stuff on the car, ran a set of Mintex pads on first Focus ST but they squealed, left hotspots on the discs and didn't match the sweep of standard pads so wore a lip on the discs which would have needed skimming before reverting to other pads.

Tried Ferodo DS2500's after that and happy bunny now :) work great, excellent mileage (over 40K) running the same set of fresh discs and pads on 2 cars, with no complaints at all. They are pricey but well worth it imho. They do rears too but same price as fronts which I can't justify when standard rears work ok for me.

For discs the standard Ford ones are good enough for me and aren't that expensive either, employee discount helps make them even cheaper ;)

Bilstein B12 kit well worth doing - same as my combination of Eibach springs and their B8 sport dampers, also listed as Ford accessories for extra piece of mind. Lowers the car nicely without it dragging on the floor and the dampers improve control without sacrificing ride quality.

Can recommend the uprated rear anti-rollbar too. Would have had the Whiteline myself, but there was a big shortage of them a few years back so Profile Automotive commissioned a short run of their own alternative in 25mm with range of adjustment giving it similar performance to the Whiteline. Helps the car turn in nicely with more precision I found. Didn't make as much improvement on my facelift ST so opted for the firmer setting and that did the trick. Not expensive and straight forward to fit too :)

• Name: Hassen
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Mk 2.5 1.6TDCI 2010

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:28 PM

Dee_82, on 13 Jan 2015 - 06:51, said:snapback.png

nice list, interested in what folk say on pads and discs

first up on my list is installing a custom oil catch can
http://www.saikoumic...om/951_page.htm

then rear disc conversion, got callipers cables and hoses just need pads discs, guards prob do that after my MOT next month.

after that its time to spend money looking at replacing some of the car, shocks, brushes and timing belt.

need to calm down a bit this year, went a bit mad last year :D !

Liking the idea of the rear brake conversion, but think it would beyond my budget at the moment. It would be much better than the drum brakes.

• Name: Hassen
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Mk 2.5 1.6TDCI 2010

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:15 PM

troy45, on 13 Jan 2015 - 19:06, said:snapback.png

Never had great experience of EBC stuff though this was on bikes, pads used to eat discs and their discs seemed cheap and nasty compared to alternatives available.

So never tried their stuff on the car, ran a set of Mintex pads on first Focus ST but they squealed, left hotspots on the discs and didn't match the sweep of standard pads so wore a lip on the discs which would have needed skimming before reverting to other pads.

Tried Ferodo DS2500's after that and happy bunny now :) work great, excellent mileage (over 40K) running the same set of fresh discs and pads on 2 cars, with no complaints at all. They are pricey but well worth it imho. They do rears too but same price as fronts which I can't justify when standard rears work ok for me.

For discs the standard Ford ones are good enough for me and aren't that expensive either, employee discount helps make them even cheaper ;)

Bilstein B12 kit well worth doing - same as my combination of eibach springs and their B8 sport dampers, also listed as Ford accessories for extra piece of mind. Lowers the car nicely without it dragging on the floor and the dampers improve control without sacrificing ride quality.

Can recommend the uprated rear anti-rollbar too. Would have had the Whiteline myself, but there was a big shortage of them a few years back so Profile Automotive commissioned a short run of their own alternative in 25mm with range of adjustment giving it similar performance to the Whiteline. Helps the car turn in nicely with more precision I found. Didn't make as much improvement on my facelift ST so opted for the firmer setting and that did the trick. Not expensive and straight forward to fit too :)

Thanks for the info. Had a look at the Ferodo ones and they are definitely pricey. I am re-evaluating the need for uprated brake pads. My car is sadly not as powerful as the ST, which I would love to own. The current front pads are the stock ford ones and lasted at least 25,000 miles or more. As for the discs, I will double check how much the stock ones are and then decide if they are required.

Trying to prioritise parts that need replacing and I know that the timing belt and water pump will eat a lot of my budget. After hearing your thoughts about the B12 Kit, it reinforces me wanting to get them onto my car. Alongside the rear anti roll bar, reckon the car will corner a lot better and have a much better ride. Whiteline seems to be the only company having a rear ARB for the MK2 Focus unless anyone else knows of other companies that do it? Eibach used to have one for the MK1 but doesn't seem to have any for the MK2 Focus.

• Budding Enthusiast
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 201 posts
  • Name: paul
  • Ford Model: c- max
  • Year: 2005

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:31 PM

thought rear dics where standard fit on focus

• FOC Supporters
  • supporter-badge.png
  • 557 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: Escort 1982 & Focus 2010
  • Year: Non

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:15 AM

Brake discs, I'd go for mtec drilled and dimpled. Got them on the Escort and had them on the Type R.

Brake pads, had green stuff on my MG ZR and were quite good. Had Red stuff on the Type R and they were rubbish. Had ultimax on the Freelander and they were brilliant. I find the standard Ford discs and pads quite good on the Focus. But drilled and dimpled discs would look good. You do get more noise though.

• FOC Supporters
  • supporter-badge.png
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:24 AM

the conversion isn't too much to do, if you can get someone to do it the parts are

calipers*2 20 each
hoses*2 10 each
parking brake cable 20
guards 16
pads and discs 50+
a few nuts 5
brake fluid 5

150ish for the lot

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:02 PM

JC600, on 14 Jan 2015 - 07:05, said:snapback.png

Brake discs, I'd go for mtec drilled and dimpled. Got them on the Escort and had them on the Type R.

Brake pads, had green stuff on my MG ZR and were quite good. Had Red stuff on the Type R and they were rubbish. Had ultimax on the Freelander and they were brilliant. I find the standard Ford discs and pads quite good on the Focus. But drilled and dimpled discs would look good. You do get more noise though.

Any links to the mtec discs? Looks cool, reliable and cheap since mine are on the way out.

Dee_82, on 14 Jan 2015 - 07:14, said:snapback.png

the conversion isn't too much to do, if you can get someone to do it the parts are

calipers*2 20 each
hoses*2 10 each
parking brake cable 20
guards 16
pads and discs 50+
a few nuts 5
brake fluid 5

150ish for the lot

Ah, not to fussed about rear conversion even though it would look and feel better. Reckon I will concentrate on sorting out the front brakes first but thanks for the breakdown. I am adding it to the list :)

Found that earlier on today. Mintex pads with groved and drilled discs front. Will they fit my Ford Focus mk2.5 2010 1.6 tdci? I am not sure if it uses 300mm discs. I have to check the Haynes manual I think.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item460be168c0

• FOC Supporters
  • supporter-badge.png
  • 557 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

• FOC Supporters
  • supporter-badge.png
  • 557 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:38 PM

Not sure which size though.

Mtec discs drilled and grooved plus Mintex front brake pads work out with free shipping from that website to just under €150 with a 10% discount. Not bad I think.

Anybody know how big the disc brakes need to be for a Ford Focus Zetec 2010 1.6 Tdci? I can't find the answer in the Haynes manual. Thanks

• Budding Enthusiast
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:05 AM

Hassen, on 18 Jan 2015 - 23:38, said:snapback.png

Mtec discs drilled and grooved plus Mintex front brake pads work out with free shipping from that website to just under €150 with a 10% discount. Not bad I think.

Anybody know how big the disc brakes need to be for a Ford Focus Zetec 2010 1.6 Tdci? I can't find the answer in the Haynes manual. Thanks

according to goggle 300 mm

• FOC Supporters
  • supporter-badge.png
  • 532 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:30 AM

isn't the front discs 278, rear 265, on the 1.8 I think its 300/280

get tape out to be sure :)

Confusing diameters online as well. I might just ring the Ford Garage to see if they can help out. That way I will be certain. Thanks for the info :)

Measure them today and it looks like 278mm rather than 300mm. 300mm looks too big. I only measured the discs with the alloys on, so it was not a very accurate measurement but it is still less than 300mm.

• FOC Supporters
  • supporter-badge.png
  • 532 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:50 AM

as I said, on the 1.6 its 278/265 (though most will have rear drums) the 1.8 had larger 300/280

• Budding Enthusiast
  • 202 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:07 PM

should be no reason you cant go with larger 300 discs as caliper is probably same size across the range