Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg

Sirus67

Hi all, great to be amongst people of individual taste who don't succumb to the 3 big Germans! I recently took delivery of my Kuga Titanium X 2WD 2013 140 ps diesel, with lots of toys, and I have to say I'm absolutely delighted. Only gripe is massive disappointment in the MPG, I'm way off the figures advertised, I'm lucky if I get 37mpg in town and 43 on a long motorway run. I wrote to Ford but the silence was deafening. Anyone else experienced this?

Welcome to the family Bill!

I expect that the engine is still being run in! how many miles has she done?

i reckon the above post is spot on,

my better half had a smax zetec(60 reg) and the mpg was terrible,my smax titanium(08 reg) not only was faster but gave MUCH better mpg then hers ever did.

same engine but the difference was hers(when handed back)had 21k on the clock and mines got 110k.think mine is well and truly loosened up, :D

Hi guys, thanks for response. Ive only done 4000 miles so you're probably right about the engine needing run in. I'll keep my eye on it. :)

No Worries Bill.As I say, you can reset the car, and then drive it as you plan to for the long term. The MPG will look worse for the first few tanks, but after that, the ECU adapts to your driving style and improves the efficiency. Having said that, as your car has barely opened its eyes for the first time (so to say) you may not necessarily see any improvement.

Hi Bill welcome to the club! I'm sure it will loosen up a bit as others have said! :)

Yip that seems to be the advice James! Just need to do more miles then! :)

Fingers crossed that it gets better from here on.

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

• 1 month later...

MPG update at 5000, still rubbish. Averaging 40.3 mpg which is worse than my petrol TT! This car is costing me a fortune in business mileage. Very disappointed and bordering on misinformation on Ford part.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

How many miles have you clocked so far Bill?

Just over 5000 Jeebo

Should be sufficiently run in by now.

Have you tried a reset, disconnecting the battery for an hour or so then starting driving afresh?

No I've not thought about that one mate. I wouldn't mind if it was just a few miles off the printed figures but it think it's taking the !Removed! when they publish 44.8 urban, 60.1 extra urban and 53.3 combined. It's a company car so I'll take it into the dealership to do it.

Best call! Good luck and let us know what they say

45.6 was the best I could get, but it entailed taping an egg to the sole of my shoe and pressing the accelerator so lightly without breaking it! It's impossible to drive like this all the time, nor would I want to.

Cant say I blame you, its a boring ride!

hopefully the garage come back with an answer though!

I've no been to the garage yet :-/

I would say take it to Ford, there might be a software update or something that is necessary to improve the MPG...

• 1 month later...

Hi all... MPG update after almost 8000 miles. Did a 400 mile round trip to Leeds last week, at a steady 72mph. Staggeringly, the MPG dipped to 38.5! Just a wee bit off the Ford published 61.3mpg extra urban stats. :-/

• Like 1

Sounds like something isn't right, try resetting the ECU and drive as normal, done this to my mondy a couple of times and the mpg improves each time, I get around 45mpg in town driving, at one point in town I got the mpg up to 60 although that was flats and downhills for a good chunk.

Thanks mate, ill def give the dealership a call, I assume that sort of thing needs to be done by them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Not at all, keep the radio code close by and disconnect the battery for half an hour then reconnect.

Disconnecting wont do nothing. There are parameters set in the PCM ( correct word for ecu in ford terms) through your driving cycle (normally 4-5 long drives 1 hour +) only way to reset or calibrate it is to put it on the i.d.s unit (fords diagnostic unit) and reset the learned values.

There is a ford test that the customer has to do to show a true MPG figure. As the onboard computer tends to show false information. Cant remember the test as ive only had to tell a customer once.

Go into a ford dealership and ask to speak to a master technician (top dog in ford mechanic terms) and have a chat about it and go from there.

Disconnecting the battery and doing little tricks are old school and the new type of engines and electronics around in the new ford range. It will be more harm than good without a qualified person giving you the correct information

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

That's handy to know, not trying to argue though as I have a general interest...

How is it that a disconnect doesn't reset it though as it's definitely worked on my 57 mondeo? Also why is it that disconnecting the battery as you said might do more harm than good? Surely that shouldn't be the case?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club