Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Ford Focus Is Idle Revving At 4000 Rpms?

Mat Clayton

Ok so i just passed my test and bought this car, two weeks later here i am, The car was fine at first and it still kind of is. However 4-5 times since i bought it the car has randomly shot up to 3-4000 revs. when in gear and driving the car drives its self and instead of using my throttle to speed up im using my brake to slow the car down. I get to traffic lights or a crossing and as soon as i put my clutch in the car shoots up to 3-4000 revs - very embarrasing. Now this isnt a problem that always happens, it happens maybe once every two days. At first i thought it could be because the car is cold as the first few times it happened i had just got in my car in the morning however going 60mph down a motor way it does it again?! the car was just trying to go faster and faster. Nothing i do actually seems to stop it, it stops when it wants. It never lasts long a few minutes at the most. I have searched and searched the web and got nothing, Ironically my late father was a mechanic and could of fixed this with his eyes closed. I my self do not know much about cars so if someone could please help giving me a dummies guide to fixing this problem i would be very thankful. Or if anyone in the hull yorkshire area that is confident they can fix it i am willing to pay? Thanks in adavance for who ever helps.

ok, but what do i do to it to make the car work properly again?

thanks, mat

You can replace it for under £20 - it's on the throttle body. From what I've read it's not a difficult job to do yourself, but it isn't an issue I've personally dealt with so it might be wise to wait for someone who has to either confirm this as being the most likely cause, or tell me I'm talking a load of !Removed!. Not even sure where exactly the throttle body is on a petrol Focus.

I shall seek eBay now! thanks a lot, hopefuly someone else can shed some more light on this

either tps as said or someones tried to adjust the idle speed which you cant by opening the butterfly valve on the throttle or the throttle intake is faulty and needs replaced start with the tps first

ok so tps first and then what? would it be better to just take it to a garage or could a novice (me) fix this problem? i just despice the idea of paying lots of money for something i could of done my self.

thanks, mat

It could also be something like the Idle Control Valve could do with a clean.

To be honest you could probably do both yourself and save a tonne of money on getting the garage to do it. Theres no better way to learn than to have a crack yourself!

Look at it this way - if it needs replacing anyway, and the garage need to replace it - do it yourself and it works - you saved money - do it yourself and fluff it up - well, you just have to pay the garage to fix it... so your no worse off!

• Like 1

with the 1.8 theres a lot of things it could be when selling these cars as they idle low and abit lumpy people mess around with things they shouldnt it can even be the idle control valve which will stick open so the car will idle with it wide open running high given how many things it can be it may be cheaper to have a garage look at it a tps and idle control valve could eat up £50-60 quid so i would replace the tps if that doesnt sort it have it looked at

Thanks guys, being a massiove help. Ok so i'll straight away at replacing the tps. seen some on eBay for £20. I only have a limited tool selection, is it easy to replace? should i buy carb cleaner and clean the full throttle body also?

thanks, mat

it has special torq screws youde need something like this to do it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100Pc-Security-Bit-Set-Driver-Star-Hex-Tri-Wing-Spanner-Torq-/111029874169?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item19d9e56df9

never needed to use carb cleaner on the focus even when i had thew 1.8 a small dab of white spirits on a cloth will do to wipe any crud you see

just added them to my basket. Ok so the main question here is... Is my car safe to drive until i can find time and money to fix it?

on one hand its safe to drive, as long as its not biting all control of the car from you when your foots on the brake. If you can still control the car then its safe, however it might be advisory as an MOT item. However, on the other hand, it really depends how much it affects your driving and how it will affect the clutch...

IMHO, if you could leave it at home, I would. if you travel too much to, and you can control the car as well as it idling normally then I wouldn't be dissuaded from driving it.

I'd be interested in hearing how this turns out Mat! I've got a 1.8L Petrol too, thought they were pretty good engines, Ford built, chain driven, reasonable capacity.. when I started reading the original post I was like ohhh noes!!! I hope this doesn't happen to me :P

Look forward to hearing how you've got on mate!

toptoe

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late update guys i THINK i have solved the problem, i literally took the the air filter pipe off the throttle body, left the engine running. A can of carb cleaner and a very dirty toothbrush later i maxed the revs to kick all of the white smoke out of the exhaust system. problem SEEMS to be fixed, until it breaks again i dont know.

Fixed that problem and a new one came about. I shall open a new thread but i have a rattling noise when i go over bums in the road.

I shall open a new thread but i have a rattling noise when i go over bums in the road.
Running over tramps is not nice. The rattle you can hear is probably their teeth falling out. :D