Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Zetec 2.0 No Pulling Power?

Shepp44

Hi all, I wondered if anyone had any ideas on the following.... I was driving to work this morning and when I was accelerating in 3rd and 4th, the revs were increasing but the car was very sluggish and not pulling unless I dropped the revs and 're-accelerated!?? Only way of describing it is driving on ice trying to grip while revs raise?? Help!?? Please if anyone has an incline? Its petrol btw

Sounds like the clutch is slipping

Clutch Slip new clutch possible flywheel aswell

It may be worth doing the flywheel anyway. A lot of the cost of the clutch/flyweel is in the labour, so it's often beneficial to get them both done at once. More expensive, but it saves you money long-term because a: You don't have to pay for the labour twice, and b: changing the flywheel before it dies, means you don't have to buy a new starter motor as well.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I've booked her in for Tuesday, New clutch with Labour approx £350!!! Car only cost me 650!!! I love the car but feel I'll have to sell it is also making a tinkering noise when idle which I think is the butterfly flaps :( Ford said £90 an hour to look at!!! No thanks!

just disconnect the vacume lin bar near the throttle body.its the plastic rod that pops on the flap shaft of the inlet manifold. its free ive dne this 2 both my petrol mondeos and still works well. i have got a spare inlet manifold which has had flaps and rod removed and holes sealed where rod gose through.its mot passable conversion..its a easy adaption if u are willing to do the work urself,then no more flaps to worry about.

Thanks Peter, would I need to take the manifold cover off and get a new head gasket? I'm no mechanic but have been told if I remove the cover it will need changing? If this is as easy as you make it sound, I will pay for the clutch to be done and try this bypass when I have some time.... And confidence I'm not going to screw the engine up haha!!! Thanks again peter

With what I've described above about the 3rd and 4th gear not pulling as good etc, any ideas how long I've got before the clutch gives way or is that a million dollar question!!??

No good answer to that mine done between 500-1000 miles then I hd it replaced to avoid it going when I need it most

Thanks Peter, would I need to take the manifold cover off and get a new head gasket? I'm no mechanic but have been told if I remove the cover it will need changing? If this is as easy as you make it sound, I will pay for the clutch to be done and try this bypass when I have some time.... And confidence I'm not going to screw the engine up haha!!! Thanks again peter

The rocker cover gasket and the head gasket are 2 different things, and the inlet manifold/gasket(s) is something else again

That's probably what I meant... The manifold gasket, that has to be renewed if the cover is taken off? That's if I have to even take the cover off to do the procedure Pete mentioned above

no you only take off inlet manifold the plastic part in front of the engine its got 4 rubber gaskets...But if you just disconnect the vacum link bar it stops the metal rod inside the inlet manifold which holds the flaps.I will see if i can get sum pics on here to help you shepp

no you only take off inlet manifold the plastic part in front of the engine its got 4 rubber gaskets...But if you just disconnect the vacum link bar it stops the metal rod inside the inlet manifold which holds the flaps.I will see if i can get sum pics on here to help you shepp

That's really helpful Peter!! I'm going to have a go at this tomorrow morning and I will let you know how it goes, if you do happen to come across any pictures or diagrams that really would be a bonus but thanks so much for tour help so far!!! I thought I would have no option but to pay Ford over a grand to sort this out, I had heard you can do something DIY and this must be it :) thanks so much Pete ;)

yes i have my other inlet manifold with flaps taken out and sealed holes i have found another vid i can post and i take a pic of the vacum link bar to take off when weathers calmed dwn as i live in not so sunny devon

Fantastic! Thankyou! ......... Devon! Yep you guys have really got bad at the moment!! I'm up in Norwich and its been wet here but nowhere near as bad as you guys!!! Hope you have a boat too ;)

yes i have my other inlet manifold with flaps taken out and sealed holes i have found another vid i can post and i take a pic of the vacum link bar to take off when weathers calmed dwn as i live in not so sunny devon

Fantastic! Thankyou! ......... Devon! Yep you guys have really got bad at the moment!! I'm up in Norwich and its been wet here but nowhere near as bad as you guys!!! Hope you have a boat too ;)

yep its a mile inshore on dry dock but flooded out lol.yea im 8 miles from dawlish where the tracks have gone

Small world, I provide customer service for "welcome family holiday park" in dawlish warren!! Hope it drys out for you soon buddy ;)

Small world, I provide customer service for "welcome family holiday park" in dawlish warren!! Hope it drys out for you soon buddy ;)

Yep it is lol,i done a little vid just uploading it to youtube then i will post here :huh:

Yep it is lol,i done a little vid just uploading it to youtube then i will post here :huh:

Thanks again for your video pete!! I found the vacuum shaft and it was already disconnected from a yellow ball joint that looked like the end of the flap rod??? The tinkering is still there, should I pull the rod out?

Have you got an email address, I have taken a picture?