Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Lights Will Not Switch Off.

Saq

hi, I woke up this morning and saw my brake lights where on, I have been at the garage all day and got the brake switch changed but they still stay on, I took it too a electrition and I think he ripped me off and said I need to change the whole fuse box unit inside the car, also charged me 30 pound's, my car is a ford galaxy 2002 model, please I need someones help, I have a feeling his talking rubbish, I found a small bulb fused which I changed but still the brake lights are on,

Stick your foot under the brake pedal and pull it up. Do the lights go out? (park the back of it up to a wall, and you should be able to see whether it works or not).

If so then it could be the spring that needs replacing. I don't know if you can replace the spring by itself, or if you'll need to get a whole brake pedal assembly.

Unlikely that changing the whole fusebox would make any difference, unless there is serious corrosion on it. But if that were the case, I'd think you'd be having all manner of other issues as well.

Have you replaced any bulbs recently? My focus did this not too long since as I had invertedly put in an incorrect bulb

no I have not tried doing that to the pedal, I assumed the mechanic would do that, but I will give it ago, and the brake light on the top still stays on even if I take the bulbs out, I called a electrician and he said too check the sensor on the brake fluid could that be it too.

iirc there are 2 switches depending on model and whether cruise is fitted,you have to be a contortionist to get your body within the footwell and look up,its tight and you swear a lot changing the switch/es.take a look at this info.

http://eucatparts.com/?action=cat_ford_part&s_id_part=24723&s_id_model=99

also another place to look is the wiring in the rear hatch top right when hatch is opened,it becomes brittle with age and causes no end of trouble when they fray and break.

cannot see any reason why they have said new fuse box,are they talking about the 1 in the engine bay?this causes lots of trouble aswell, :rolleyes:

if you wish to pm me i can point you in the direction of lots of info. ;)

I pm'd you greggers, I do not have cruise control and I pulled the pedal and the brake lights are still on.

he said the internal fuse box, but I found out if I change that I need to get it reprogramed as well, but if that's gone why does everything else work fine on the car.

I have called the aa and they could not fix it too but he did tell me the wire that connects too the brake switch, was tested and it is giving both as live when one should be negative.

Sounds like a faulty wiring from the brake switch to the light, sounds like a short with a permalive wire?

it sounds like a faulty or badly fitted/adjusted pedal switch to me.

Sorted, should of just waited for these guys, they helped me out charged me £50 for like 4 hours work normally they charge £50 an hour, they rewired and by passed the fuse box, now my brakes work, 2nd time they saved me.rpost-50922-139214514314_thumb.jpg

I should hope they at least put an inline fuse on it.

Sent from my HUAWEI P2 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club