Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Mot Requirements ( Dpf And/or Catalysts )

Howard1471

Yeah I didn't say the dpf clean the emission I said diesel engines have become cleaner

but I could have... the mk2.5 focus has a dpf and cat in one, the cat

converts harmfull gasses into less harmful gasses so it does actually

clean up the emission. A dpf only however does not.

catalytic and dpf are completely different,

you get diesels with cats and no dpf....the cat improves the emissions but it cannot trap the microscopic particulate matter that is a natural result in diesel burning...hence the next stage of cats and dpf

so any modern diesel without dpf, although the emissions are cleaner in enviromental terms, the PM is still being released, this PM is a major player in causes of asthma as well as many other similar conditions in living organisms, be it human/animal or plant

due to the huge increase in sales of diesel engine varients in the last 20 years, levels of PM are much higher, as are sufferers of conditions such as asthma..this is proven fact, so you have some major powerful bodies from all round uk and europe pushing for cleaner air, you also have cities fighting to improve city air pollution to comply with european legislations in order to avoid major penalties if they fail...diesel pollutants are a recognised, major reason for excessive pollution in cities...

this is why car manufacturers are investing millions in improving the systems and why governments are willing to reward/bribe purchasers to buy the cleaner models......

does anybody seriously think that the common practice of deleting will be allowed to carry on without penalty????

Its always been illegal ask any dpf delete company if in writing they will gaurantee that the delete wont be detected that if it is they accept responsibility to replace the dpf theyll laugh in youre face

a place near me now refuses to do the job for fear of the ramifications and my ford dealer told me any cars traded in with dpfs as standard will be inspected if the dpfs removed you can keep youre car they wont touch it

even the small garage i worked at checks they will remove the gubbins to get to it A simple tap test is all it takes.

Each to there own if you wanna do it do it we should stop accepting posts and stop advising to remove we do this but yet cant give out a radio code which is worse?

catalytic and dpf are completely different,

you get diesels with cats and no dpf....the cat improves the emissions but it cannot trap the microscopic  particulate matter that is a natural result in diesel burning...hence the next stage of cats and dpf

so any modern diesel without dpf, although the emissions are cleaner in enviromental terms, the PM is still being released, this PM is a major player in causes of asthma as well as many other similar conditions in living organisms, be it human/animal or plant

due to the huge increase in sales of diesel engine varients in the last 20 years, levels of PM are much higher, as are sufferers of conditions such as asthma..this is proven fact, so you have some major powerful bodies from all round uk and europe pushing for cleaner air, you also have cities fighting to improve city air pollution to comply with european legislations in order to avoid major penalties if they fail...diesel pollutants are a recognised, major reason for excessive pollution in cities...

this is why car manufacturers are investing millions in improving the systems and why governments are willing to reward/bribe purchasers to buy the cleaner models......

does anybody seriously think that the common practice of deleting will be allowed to carry on without penalty????

I am aware cats and dpf are two different things.

I won't dwell into eu emission standards. Because those future standards will not apply to current cars

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

so then you understand that even the cleanest most modern diesel burners with cats, STILL produce dpm out the tailpipe, hence the need for dpf's...

Each to there own if you wanna do it do it we should stop accepting posts and stop advising to remove we do this but yet cant give out a radio code which is worse?

Surely the purpose of a forum is to discuss these things and get help or support from others with similar interests, including those with different opinions? I get a great deal of very useful information by asking on this forum in particular, and I post when I have something useful or helpful to add. When I was thinking about getting rid of my dpf I did much trawling for information and discussion and as a result I felt I had all the important considerations to make a balanced judgement. I am responsible enough to take my own decisions and to accept responsibility for them, and not just follow the nanny state decree without question. It would be a shame to lose this resource just to keep the political correct police happy.

everyone has and is entitled to an opinion of their own. I would wholeheartedly remove the darned things, but the problem is the legality, or should I say, the risk of being caught and the consequence thereof.

At the end of the day, if you claim ignorance, they can only fail the MOT and then you have to put a DPF in to get the test passed! worst case, you could get fined, shot, castrated, dismembered, hung and diced up for the privilege!

But there is a difference on whether someone's opinion on which is better but like radio codes (as mentioned) regardless of opinion is illegal and against club rules and I believe this "advice" should be too.

Sent from my HUAWEI P2 using Ford OC mobile app

so then you understand that even the cleanest most modern diesel burners with cats, STILL produce dpm out the tailpipe, hence the need for dpf's...

I don't disagree on that point buddy that is very much true but that isn't what this topic is about. It's about rule changes regarding removal of a dpf

ill say this much guys the guy that does the mot stated he will tap on the dpf covers etc are fine but he can get to most with a long screw driver without disturbing or removing anything if he hears a hollow clunk youll prove you have the dpf and that will cost either way its a fail till the mechanic drops the exhaust lets be honest faced with the cost most people will admit they had it done there and then many garages when you want to trade that car in will also do a dpf inspection they wont be left with the costs of replacing so the chances are many cars will be refused trade in and on a private sale the new owner can report you to the police who will contact vosa who will fine you for doing it anyway even if they dont you can still get taken to a small claims court for knowingly selling the car with the dpf removed

to me i hate diesels anyway ill never be buying one so i dont really care but to thoise who want to remove make up youre own mind just be aware of the potential outcome

its times like this when i love my 1.8 tdci... no dpf fitted......... gotta love ford lol

I don't disagree on that point buddy that is very much true but that isn't what this topic is about. It's about rule changes regarding removal of a dpf

Sorry I meant I do agree. No edits on mobile app

to me i hate diesels anyway ill never be buying one so i dont really care

This is why you think the way you think, fear of the unknown

love that term....the political correct police...made me laugh anyway

pc has nothing to do with it...im not telling you to not do it, but its obvious that there are many out there that are clueless to the dpf system...im just giving some, and i mean, some..of the true facts.

i dont blame anybody for removing the system, it isnt fit for purpose in that the life cycle is far too short even when used as was intended, let alone when driver is unaware of the importance to follow certain guidelines, let alone the sheer costy of keeping the system intact and working.

my bug bear is with anybody that promises its ok to do, without consequence..only possible loser in that outcome is the owner that deletes believing their troubles are over.

i also have issue with the controlling bodies, the ones who have been fully aware of the practice yet doing nothing to get it stopped, now its the car owners that could pay the price, not the firms making money out of an illegal practice.

if youve had a delete, and manage to carry on getting away with it, good luck to you, i drive a diesel myself, has never had a dpf so not passing judgement on anyone thats had them removed...i knew of the systems and i knew they were best avoided...im looking to buy another van later in the year, no 1 priority for me is it will be petrol, no longer interested in any kind of diesel as regs will get tougher...be they old or new vehicles

ive already had a perfectly good van that was worth £2/3k turned into scrap value overnight, without any compensation due to london lez regulations, they wont catch me out again.

know the facts, then and only then can you make an informed decision...pc my **** :lol:

• Like 1

Well now I understand why you feel like that and your take on emissions. Your van doesn't meet the london low emission zone requirements. A system spreading to other cities in the uk.

Yes well you aren't the only one who suffered and it wasn't just vans, black cabs were apart of this and became priceless and useless overnight. Is this why you such a way towards dpf removals? maybe because you feel others have cheated a system that caught you out? That is a good reason to dislike diesels or anyone else who removes their dpf and gets away. Its rather partially amusing actually but nonetheless a serious matter. I am sorry you've gone through that and got ripped off by the government... we all get ripped off by the big man at some point...

no mate, youv'e got my 'rants' all wrong :D

LEZ is a different regulation that was based on pure fantasy without any backing of facts...the whole scheme was a farce.

as an eg...i drove a van that had a passenger mpv version, identical in every way but windows..my van was hit by the regs, but the car was ok??? how the **** does that work?

what made it even worse, i live on the very edge of the boundary, turn right out of my road, i was ok, turn left and i would have been charged £100...???

was tempted many a time to reverse up to the very edge of the boundary with cameras pointing at me, and rev the bo**ox out of it on a regular basis...but im reliably informed the mayor made a miraculous discovery in that any diesel emission will be stopped from entering the zone by an invisible screen, so i didnt bother... :rolleyes:

i dont have a problem with DPF deletes, but i do have a problem with people promising it can and should be done without issue..

i have major problems with the bodies that come out with these retrospect regulations....who was it that promoted the sale of diesel vehicles all those years ago, constantly telling us that fuel savings was the way to go....then when people took up that advise, instantly hiked the price to above that of petrol....now they are having a go, by accusing owners of causing major harm, and its the owners that will get punished for it..

with diesels, it will get worse, like i said, dont be suprised if they start tinkering with the idea of banning egr blanking...already been talked about..latest diesels will start to see even more emission busting devices being fitted...expect to see NOx filters coming soon if not done so already..

simple answer...forget retrospective regs...with DPF, if you had them deleted already, you get away with it, but firms offering deletes get stopped in their tracks from the day of the announcement...you will always find the odd car getting round it, but its the odd one, not the 10's of thousands that have already been tampered with...in time, what you set out to achieve, is achieved.

similar with the LEZ....there were far better ways of ridding the area of non compliant vans, for example, make a road tax incentive that will encourage owners to comply, not forcing them to flood the rest of the country with non compliants in a very short space of time, making them worthless...how does that improve air pollution?. i ended up virtually giving mine to a very nice lady that wanted it to do short journeys from lock up to market, all of which were 3 miles outside of the zone...yeah, that helped london LEZ

DPF are different, i understand the need for them, but i also understand the wish to remove them....its the controlling bodies that are to blame here for ignoring the very public issue of DPF deletes...now they want to screw you to the wall

all im saying is...understand what they do and why they are necessary..then, and only then, you can make the decision of trying to get round the rules or not...that is your decision, not mine...nor anybody else that has already had it done and spouts the usual 'they cant ever find out..because its only visual' tosh

anyone that decides that its the best route to take just because the firm that will profit from the work says its all ok and nothing will ever come of it...are making a bad decision that can really come back and bite them in the rear

would also add that dealers need to up their game and stop selling inappropiate vehicles to new owners....diesels are no longer cost effective to anyone doing less than 12/15k miles a year...and with new regs, that mileage will rise

• Like 1