• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Name: Darren
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2010

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

Hi

I have a 2010 ford focus, when left overnight the battery is draining to a point that the car will not start. Tested the battery and that is fine in its self and is charging fine when the car is running. Therefore something is drawing power when car is shutdown. The car is original with no mods.

Have tried testing for a current by connecting a multimeter in line with the negative batt post and lead, but got no readings, expected some? As the intention was to then pull out fuses, Can anyone advise if I am doing this correctly?

Steps I took were
Disconnect negative lead
Connect black multimeter lead to battery post
Connect red multimeter lead to battery lead
Setting on multimeter was 10a DC

Anyone with any directions or advice appreciated

Darren

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 STEADS

STEADS

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Name: NEIL
  • Ford Model: FOCUS 1.8 TDCI TITANIUM AND 2.0 TDCI
  • Year: 2009

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

I,d be looking at the usual suspects courtesy lights including boot and alarms or any where water could interfere with the electrics

#3 JW1982

JW1982

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name: Wilco
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2 First Edition
  • Year: 2005

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

On the Focus MK2/MK2.5 this is a known problem which most times is caused by a defective CANbus module. A defective CANbus module prevents the CANbus system from entering sleep mode. The result is that the active CANbus system drains the battery. Not entering sleep mode can be recognised by not switching off the display of the instrument cluster. Normally the display switches off about half an hour after locking the car. If the display not switches off this means the CANbus system remains active

Does the car have Bluetooth/Voicecontrol? If so the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module is known to cause this problem. In some cases resetting the module by temporarily disconnecting it solves the problem. If not the module can be considered defective. In theory every defective CANbus module can cause this problem but the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module would be the first suspect.

#4 Pete14tc

Pete14tc

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Name: Peter
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium Ecoboost
  • Year: 2013

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

Your connections of the multimeter are OK but would expect a reading if the battery is draining itself over a period of time. When the multimeter is connected try opening a door or put your lights on and see if there is a current drain. If you don't see a meter reading its possible the meter could be faulty. Also is there a 3rd connection on your meter for current connection only, I've made this mistake before.

#5 darren_c

darren_c

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

Thanks both,

Car does not have Bluetooth or voice control, Is the CANbus the square unit in the centre console with the odo etc on it?

Is there an easy was of disconnecting it?

I was trying this method http://www.erictheca...iticDrawTesting

But I am not getting any reading on the multimeter?
I disconnect the battery to put the multimeter in the circuit but that turns everything off and when I put the multimeter in no amps are measuring?
Am I missing something

#6 darren_c

darren_c

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

Hi peter

Should the car be "awake" when the multimeter is connected, ie should the interior light come on when I open the door, or should the odo unit light when the multimeter is connected as if the battery is connected as usual or should it be acting as if the battery is disconnected?

In my case it appears to be working in the latter

The multi meter does have 4 connections I am using the COM and the 10A sockets and setting to 20ma/10a on the DC

Darren

#7 Incontro

Incontro

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Year: 2009

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

Should the car be "awake" when the multimeter is connected, ie should the interior light come on when I open the door, or should the odo unit light when the multimeter is connected as if the battery is connected as usual or should it be acting as if the battery is disconnected?

In my case it appears to be working in the latter

The multi meter does have 4 connections I am using the COM and the 10A sockets and setting to 20ma/10a on the DC

Darren

Yes AFAIK, the car should be "awake" when the multimeter is connected - as using it in current mode means it should complete the circuit - the device is simply measuring the current flowing through the circuit.

Something is wrong if it is acting as the latter - perhaps there is a fault with your multimeter - you may have exceeded the maximum rating for that mode and blown the fuse. Check the fuse.

#8 Pete14tc

Pete14tc

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Name: Peter
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium Ecoboost
  • Year: 2013

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

Hi Darren, as the previous post, if the car is awake before you remove the battery terminal but dies when you connect the meter it sounds like your meter is faulty. Most modern meters are auto-ranging so connections shouldn't be a problem.

#9 darren_c

darren_c

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:12 AM

Hi all

Sorry I've not replied sooner but have been away with work, anyhow thanks to the above and some good fortune I have narrowed the problem down to the radio.

Basically after disconnecting the battery if I do not enter the radio code and use car as usual with no radio then the battery drain is not there. So I have been using the car with no radio for the past couple of weeks and all good.

However I quite like been able to listen to the radio so want to fix the issue, what do you guys think

Is it a case of just replacing the radio
Or is the root problem with the computer not shutting down the radio so a new one would be the same

Any one got any advice, also if a new radio can anyone recommend one.

Darren

#10 JW1982

JW1982

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name: Wilco
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2 First Edition
  • Year: 2005

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

The radio is basically a stand alone CANbus module. Even if the radio is switched off it still has a 12 Volt power supply. There is no other module which switches off the power supply of the radio.

The radio communicates with some of the other modules over the CANbus network. After locking the car all of the modules should stop to communicate. If there is no communication the CANbus network should enter sleep mode after a certain time.

In your case the radio prevents the CANbus system from entering sleep mode. I have seen before that a defective radio still tries to communicate or puts a small voltage on the CANbus network which can be recognised as communication. This results in the fact that the CANbus system stays active which can drain the battery in a relative short time.

My experience is that replacing the radio solves the problem. Which type of radio do you have?

#11 darren_c

darren_c

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

Thanks JW1982

The radio in the car is the Ford 6000CD model

Thanks Darren

#12 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,962 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:30 AM

If you are still having issues with your meter not working on the 10A setting, it could be that the internal fuse has blown. have you tested the continuity of the leads?

EDIT - sorry I have just read that you have found your suspect..

#13 darren_c

darren_c

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:18 PM

Hi any one got any advice for what to replace radio with?

Been quoted 70 quid for a replacement 6000CD

Darren

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battery, parasitic, drain, draw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users