Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spark Plug Recomedations

ZetecShearer1987

Hi all

I am looking at changing my spark plugs on my 1.6 petrol zetec 100bhp focus.

Currently i am using original ford plugs from motorcraft the fomoco on the plugs.

I am having rough acceleration and lack of power throughout the rev range and i have been reading that other spark plugs i can use can sort out these issues.

Before anyone mentions leads and coil packs, i have replaced all of those a while back all with genuine ford parts and the plugs were changed too.

I have found that if i remove the ht leads from the spark plug and then re-insert the car runs smooth again for a while, which i think could be a sparking issue.

I have also had a oil change 4 months ago and used a genuine ford filter and Castrol magnatec oil, the level has been spot on and has never needed any extra top ups. Also its had a new air filter also genuine ford part.

So i have seen ngk and Bosch plugs available to buy, any preference on either is there an upgraded option i can get (iridium/platinum).

Anyone used these other plugs and what are your experiences of using them.

• Like 1

the fomoco are rebranded Bosch changing the plugs will not sort the issue if the plugs are nearly new and gapped correctly then the issue lies elsewhere should be a 1.0mm gap any more and you can get rough idle sounds like the lead is either loose on the plug which they can do or theres a issue to the coil wiring somewhere

If it the coil wiring how could I check that or what would I need to change it

Sent from my HTC One using Ford OC mobile app

its best having ford look at it it can be a sensor thats causing the issue or coil wiring or the cars doing short journeys and needs a good run

I've fitted some NGK iridium plugs in my 1.6 168bhp Toyota and the plugs have made a noticeable difference

• Like 1

I do a lot of short journeys around town. Have done some long distance driving recently but doesn't seem to make a difference. Ow and thanks for the ngk pro, what pronounced difference did it make to your Toyota

I do a lot of short journeys around town. Have done some long distance driving recently but doesn't seem to make a difference. Ow and thanks for the ngk pro, what pronounced difference did it make to your Toyota

Idle was slightly quieter,

Rev pick up was smoother and more responsive on contact,

I'm not sure of the mpg yet as its still off the road until Friday but will be some time before i become an economical driver in it after been 3 years in a diesel

ford use either Bosch or ngk as standard depending on the year of car 2004-2007 Bosch 2007 facelift usually ngk plugs will not fix youre problem mate i gaurantee that been there done that had the t shirt

• Like 1

Also does the car run a leaner fuel mixture when the low petrol light comes on.

I have the same problem on my focus style. Ford said it was the plugs so they put new ones in and seems little better, but when the car is warm and I put my foot down especially second to third or third to fourth it can sometimes do it?? Ford had another look and it and ran it on the machine for faults and took it for a test drive and said it's nothing wrong with my car? Still not convinced there is nothing wrong mind.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

My car idles great and starts good mind.

Also does the car run a leaner fuel mixture when the low petrol light comes on.

no, that would cause damage and eventually wreck the engine.

• Like 1

Hi again, today i have purchased some ngk iridium spark plugs, the correct part number is 4344. They cost me £10 each from my local motormania plus a little discount aswell.

Anyway i have fitted them and also used some copper grease and di-electric grease on the leads and WOW what a difference, smooth as silk now, the old plugs i removed were only 5 months old and were genuine ford plugs from my local ford dealer, they looked very good with no damage or fouling to any of the plugs.

I have gone down the route of trying the whole "its better to use FORD parts to fixed any ignition issues"

i have tried all of that to no avail long term, i just hope now that this will finally solve my acceleration issue and intermittant lack of power with a rough engine.

I would reccomend to anyone who is having similar issues and has tried all the changing of leads and coil packs, to give these plugs a shot.

• Like 1

Buy why when fords plugs are Bosch and ngk they are the same plugs the di electric grease will help but going by what you say in a few months youll have the same issue again fomoco plugs are rebranded items fomoco coils are Bosch says it on it the leads are Bosch plugs bosch or ngk

• Like 1

I've fitted some NGK Iridium plugs in my 1.6 168bhp Toyota and the plugs have made a noticeable difference

had these on my mk1.5 2.0 esp, it sure did make a difference, plus long lasting

• Like 1

Its the second day with these new ngk iridium plugs, and i have to say the car still feels really good, i noticed one significant change was when i pulled off in 1st gear before the car made like funny noise when the revs were low down. That has now completely disappeared and going through the lower gears feels much better.

I dont feel thats its a placebo effect as i have replaced so many things and tried loads of different methods of shifting this problem, to be honest i had given up on a solution.

I have changed the air filters, oil and filter to a premium oil, coil pack, ht leads, v-power petrol, redex, fuel cleaner just incase its was some to do with the fuel injectors. Also i was concerned that the catalytic converter was blocked, so i gave the car a good long run (italian tune-up) also tried some CATACLEAN additive. So many different things for a 3 year old car. Other thoughts may have led to getting a new battery. I have also purchased a obd2 wireless monitor to check for fault codes, found none obviously.

Ford and my local garage have looked at the car and found nothing wrong with it, though as a driver i know and can feel that something wasnt right, you cant explain what it feels like when the car is all jumpy and kangarooey low down and a rough feeling engine with no acceleration. The ford garaged said that there was nothing in particular that felt wrong with the car and they said that i was right to use all genuine ford parts for the ignition system, yeah i was right but it never solved my issue. My local independant garage said that nothing was wrong with the car, and sometimes Fords can do this, and its quite a normal trait for Ford cars. Once again doesnt really fix anything for me.

I now fully believe that the upgraded plugs have solved this issue, maybe a different plug, Bosch do better uprated plugs like the super 4's

Now alot of people will say that original ford parts is the best way to go, and most owners dont suffer from these problems, but there is a few owners out there who are and if any of my problems with my car and my resolutions help, then i am happy to help and advise. If you think i am talking utter rubbish then so be it, but i am a very happy Focus owner now and i am looking forwrd to many years of happy motoring with this car.

I have a similar problem and ford said it was my plugs so that changed them and feels slightly better but still not right. Car seems to do it when it's warm I notice. Wonder if I should replace the plugs with ngk to see if that helps also?

I have always stuck to using branded petrol Shell, bp mainly, they do say that supermarkets put differnent chemicals into the fuel once its left the tanker.

I have a similar problem and ford said it was my plugs so that changed them and feels slightly better but still not right. Car seems to do it when it's warm I notice. Wonder if I should replace the plugs with ngk to see if that helps also?

It seems to have worked for me, i am not saying it would work for everyone, differing conditions, dont forget the plugs cost me £40, they are cheaper on eBay, but i couldnt be 100% sure they were all genuine ngk's.

Another view point of mine is that the spark plugs spark over a 1000 times a minute and can last for thousands of miles, i seems a very important part of an engine, so i paid more to get a better plug, ngk get amazing reviews and seem to be one of the best companies that make plugs, the original motorcraft fomoco plugs are Bosch plugs not ngk, it was worth a try to me and it looks like it was the right decision

Hands up here Supermarket fuel I afraid to say lol. Clearly this can make the difference then. Might change it and see how that goes.

The plugs have got to have a certain gap aint they?? Are they easy to change because like I said ford replaced mine so not sure if it's a awkward job?

10 min job. You will need a rachet, extension bar and a 14mm long socket.

Brill thanks. What is the recommended gap for the plugs or just put them straight in when Come. Cheers

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club