• Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save
    • Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear

seka1980

Replacing Faulty Alternator

8 posts in this topic

Hello there

I had some smoke/ fishy smell coming from my alternator this morning, i have disconnected the battery and i guess I need a new one!

Does any one know if its difficult to change them ie releasing the tension on the drive belt

The fusion uses the sa,e engines as the fiesta I believe and if it's a petrol you have the joys of a stretchy belt, you might aswell take a knife to the belt as you shouldn't re use it anyway, from there the alternator is similar to playing with lego, undo the mounting bolts and out it will swing.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Ford OC mobile app

If it is indeed a stretchy belt and you do replace it, if you buy a genuine ford one you should get a tool with it. (they used to anyway)

Is it best i get a Haynes manual ! what's the best way of finding out its a stretchy belt

What year, engine size is it, or try, or diesel?

its a 2006 1.6 petrol ztec cli auto with aircon

Ford ( 2006)
Fusion 1.6

I would say stretch belt then, I know for sure that the 1.4 and 1.25 zetec se engines have stretch belts, so there is no reason the 1.6 isn't the same, you will need the 2 belt kit so you have a new air conditioning drive belt also, the ford kit from a dealer is best bet for ease as it comes with the plastic wedges you need to fit the belt, I have a continental belt on mine and it's okay but I dont think it came with the tools, I would have thought they can be brought with a belt from a normal auto spares shop anyway, either way you will need a belt kit.

Haynes do a specific Ford Fusion manual now. I looked at the process of changing it. PITA and special tool (as already mentioned) needed :(